I need help...please.

elizabeth b-c
on 3/6/06 6:14 am - Charlottesville, VA
Hi, Virginia Folks: I really need support, please. I have been throwing up for several weeks, and I am still having moderate to severe pain every time I eat or drink anything...sometimes it stays down, sometimes it does not. I have been complaining to the surgeon since before Christmas. I have had three endoscopies and two upper GIs, one just Friday afternoon. This morning, I went to his office for my six-month check-up, scheduled two months ago. The nurse practitioner has been doing my follow-up. After waiting a long time for my appointment, she called me into an exam room to tell me that she couldn't see me, that the doctor would be doing my follow-up from now on, and that he was out of town until Wednesday. I said what about my test results, and she said she couldn't comment on that. When the radiologist did the upper GI on Friday, he said I don't have a pouch at all, just a smaller, and he thought, atrophied, stomach, and that the gastric contents were emptying into the normal intestine still connected to my stomach. So now, I have an appointment for Wednesday at 10:10 to see the doctor and find out what the h&*( is going on. I'm furious that they didn't call me before I went there today, as it is a 1 1/2 hour drive, and I missed work all morning. I'm worried sick, and Mary is, too. I can't eat or drink anything, and I keep getting dehydrated and having to go to the hospital for IVs. My regular doctor is out of town until the 13th, and his cover said to go to the emergency room...and we all know how much fun that is. I'm so scared...I wish I knew what was going on. I'm losing weight really fast right now, down 140 in six months. I tried to get an appointment with another surgeon for a second opinion, but they won't see me because they didn't do the surgery. I'm stuck, and I don't know what to do anymore. Thanks for being there. elizabeth
Kitty Kat
on 3/6/06 6:43 am - Richmond, VA
Hey Pretty Lady, This sounds to me like a stricture. That is where the opening to our pouches closes (tissue closes over the opening) and food and fluids are not able to pass through like they should. I would seriously discuss this with your surgeon. The end result is getting an Endoscopy. This is a procedure where they sedate you and go down your throat with a camera and see how much of a closure there is and are able to expand the opening with different sized balloons. I've had 2 strictures and 2 Endoscopies. This is my opinion based on what you've posted. I surely hope you you get this taken care of sooner than later. I am sorry you've had such a rough time with your appointments. Your nourishment is so vital and for them to basically disregard it until another day is to me. Please keep us posted. Hugs, Kitty Kat
elizabeth b-c
on 3/6/06 7:06 am - Charlottesville, VA
Hi, KK: They ruled out a stricture on Friday during the upper GI. I've had four endoscopies and three upper GIs in six months. I sure wish they'd figure out what is going on. Every time I have a test, they come up with a new diagnosis. I don't care what it is, I just want the pain to stop. So far, I've only kept down about 200 calories, no vitamins and 30 ounces of liquid. I can't keep this up forever. Sorry to be so down and depressing... elizabeth
Kitty Kat
on 3/6/06 7:13 am - Richmond, VA
Well then to heck with what I thought huh? Something is surely off here. I hope they figure it out. You are your own best advocate. Make sure you give 'em hell cause I tell you what otherwise you will keep getting the run around. Down and depressing? I would be too. Are you kidding me? At this rate, you WILL be IN the hospital. Please take care of yourself. Hugs, Kitty Kat
A10sFrau
on 3/6/06 7:00 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
Hi Elizabeth, Hi Mary-- I wish I knew something to tell you, but I don't. I can only offer support and prayers and urge you to be your own loudest advocate. It sounds like you already are. Don't settle! Demand answers and treatment! The Prayer for Protection is going your way. I think I will also send a prayer request to Silent Unity. Love and Blessings, Lois
elizabeth b-c
on 3/6/06 7:03 am - Charlottesville, VA
Thanks, Lois, I appreciate the prayers and support. I've had such a bad day, and I sure could use a hug. We're closing on our house this Friday, and things just seem overwhelming right now. Hugs, elizabeth
Betsy Anitahug
on 3/6/06 8:05 am - Danville, VA
Hi Elizabeth....I wish I had the answer but just keep being insistant with the dr.....Sounds wierd to me...if the pain is so bad, don't hesitate to go to the er....You shouldn't have to wait...doesn't the dr have another dr that you could be referred to? I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs, betsy
sylvia
on 3/6/06 8:06 am - Stafford, VA
I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through. It occurs to me that if your insurance covered this procedure and doctor that perhaps they might be an advocate for you. I agree with the others, you should shout it from the rooftops and demand immediate care. Is there no other doctor in his practice? Who looks after his patients when he is unavailable? There has to be another doctor. I have to tell you, if it was me and I had received the same information I would be at the emergency room. I don't mean to be an alarmist as I can hear that you are already rightly upset, but it sounds like you have been given a run around. God bless you. I hope you get the help and answers you deserve soon. Sylvia
hollydecarlo
on 3/6/06 8:26 am - hopewell, VA
elizabeth, i cant offer any advise but i can offer my prayers i really hope your feeling better soon take and god bless.. holly
prissy25
on 3/6/06 9:10 am - Barboursville, VA
Elizabeth Im so sorry to here your so ill, but you must keep after these people this is your life and health they are messing around with. Im sorry your having such a hard time of it. Good luck on your house closing though we will miss you and Mary here in Charlottesville. And I hope we see you both on the 25th @ our next meet. Be strong and go after them I think Id go to UVA and try for a second oppinion. Hugs. God Bless.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views