How to lose weight BEFORE surgery...

amyb66
on 3/5/06 5:43 am - Bolling AFB, DC
My doctor did not mention that I needed to lose weight before surgery, but when I went to a seminar a month ago with a different doctor...he mentioned that losing 5-10% of your weight BEFORE would be ideal because it shrinks the liver!!! I understand that and would like to start losing. I have added some exercise to my daily routine and for Lent I have given up all sweets...but what else can I do??? And how do you get motivated to do it??? Thanks in advance for your help Amy
Kathy & Rich
on 3/5/06 5:49 am - Fairfax, VA
Amy, I had to lose 10% before my surgery. I do so on a low-carb diet. I eliminated all bread, rice, starchy vegies, potatoes and sweets. I basically ate proteins, non-starchy vegies and some lower sugar fruits like berries and melon. I ate fats (mayo, salad dressings, etc) as long as the sugar count was down. I limited myself to about 10 carbs per meal. Those carbs came from the vegies, any sauces or dressings or the fruit. My physician would check people's weight 2 weeks prior to surgery and if they hadn't lost enough... he'd put them on a somewhat liquid diet of 2-3 protein shakes a day and one meal consisting of protein and non-starchy vegie. Luckily I had lost enough so I didn't have to go the liquid way. Good luck, Kathy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views