I have a date?

~ Julie ~
on 3/2/06 11:32 am - Reston, VA
RNY on 04/18/06 with
Just this morning, I thought the surgeon was going to kick me out of his office because I didn't have very much diet information. When I actually got to the consult, he went over my paperwork, and said, "well, ok, this is the surgery, this is what you have to do to prepare for it. Now go see the lady at the front desk for your surgery date." I thought I misheard him at first. But I didn't. So I have a date of April 18th. I am still pretty shocked. I guess it really speeds things along when you are self pay. None of the insurance hoops to jump through. However, I do have a problem. Dr. M requires that I lose 5-10% of my excess weight, which looks to be about 20-40lbs. Does anyone have any idea of how to do this in only 6 weeks? Any and all diet and exercise tips would be greatly appreciated. (I really need some suggestions as to good walking/running shoes, too. Payless doesn't cut it.) Also, I would like to sincerely thank my sister Dianna. I would not be where I am now in this process if it weren't for her. It's so cliched, but I can't think of how to say how intensely grateful I am for all of her help thus far, and all of the help she's promised for the future. Love ya, sister. -Julie
Mz_Desz
on 3/2/06 12:22 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
Congrats on your date. In six weeks if you cut back on your white flour, no sodas, no sweets and excersise 15 to 30 mins a day you could do it. Drink plenty of water....128 oz or more a day. I followed atkins one summer & lost 34 pounds in 2 months. I don't know your health history, but if you can do this...then you should be good. Excersise...cardio & light dumbell weights (no more than 5lbs)...should give yourself a good push. Just my suggestion...good luck!
~ Julie ~
on 3/4/06 5:38 am - Reston, VA
RNY on 04/18/06 with
Thanks for the suggestions, Desirai. Buy some stock in Deer Park, I've gone through almost a case of it in two days!
elizabethc03
on 3/2/06 12:46 pm - Cypress, TX
I actually had the best results with the Mayo clinic diet but it's hard to stick to, well for me it was since I'm not a big meat fan (funny, now that's almost all I eat out of neccessity). Anyway, here it is... BREAKFAST: 1/2 grapefruit or 8oz unsweetened juice. 2 Eggs any style 2 Slices of bacon Black coffee or tea, no sugar LUNCH: 1/2 grapefruit or 8oz unsweetened juice. Salad and or raw veggies (any dressing) Meat (Cooked any way) DINNER: 1/2 grapefruit or 8oz unsweetened juice. Meat (cooked any way) Vegetables (any green or red, may be cooked in Seasoning or a salad as above) Black coffee or tea, no sugar BEDTIME: (opt) 8oz Tomato juice or skim milk INSTRUCTIONS: 1. At any meal you may eat until you are full, and you can not eat anymore. You must eat the minimum listed at each meal. 2. Do not eliminate anything from the diet, especially don't skip the bacon at breakfast or omit salads. It is the combination of foods that burn the fat. 3. The grapefruit is important because it acts as a catalyst that starts the burning process. 4. Cut down on coffee, it affects the insulin balance that hinders the burning process. Try to limit to one cup each meal. 5. Don't eat between meals, if you eat the combination of food suggested, you will not get hungry. 6. The diet may eliminate sugars and starches. 7. Do not eat desserts, breads and white vegetables or sweet potatoes. You may double or triple helpings of meat, salads or vegetables. Eat till you are stuffed. The more you eat the more weight you will lose. 8. There may be no weight loss in the first 4 days, but you may lose 5 pounds on the 5th day. You may lose 1 and 1/2 pounds every two days until you reach your goal. 9. DRINK EIGHT 8oz GLASSES OF WATER EVERY DAY! THIS DIET IS SAID TO BEEN GIVEN TO HEART PATIENTS NEEDING TO LOSE WEIGHT FAST FOR BY-PASS SURGERY. ALL SOFT DRINKS NEED TO BE DIET AND CAFFEINE FREE. YOU MAY NOT HAVE: White onions, potatoes, celery, peas, cereal, carrots, corn, starchy vegetables, bread, noodles, rice, potato chips, pretzels or fruit or diet dressing. YOU MAY HAVE: Red onions, bell peppers, radishes, broccoli, cucumbers, green onions, leaf spinach, cabbage, tomatoes, green beans, lettuce, chili (no beans) mayonnaise, any cheese, hot dogs, cole slaw, regular salad dressing, green vegetables, 1tsp nuts, dill or bread and butter pickles. Sound weird but I lost 25 pounds the first time I did it in about 2 weeks. I did not drink any soda at all though and only drank water or green tea. Also I used olive oil and vinegar with seasonings for my salad dressing.
~ Julie ~
on 3/4/06 5:40 am - Reston, VA
RNY on 04/18/06 with
Wow, thanks for the diet suggestion, can you really eat ALL you want of a food so long as there are no carbs in it? I had a pretty big salad with some lemon pepper tuna and a couple hard boiled eggs for lunch at noon, and it's almost 5 and I still feel full. Maybe it's the water, too?
cappymoon
on 3/2/06 1:16 pm - Northern, VA
Aww, thanks I am so happy to help you in any way I can. I am preparing myself for your pre-op diet cause I dont want you to tackle this all by yourself I had to do it solo and I know how much that sucked. ANYTHING I can do to help you, you know I will be here for you!! Dianna
~ Julie ~
on 3/4/06 5:43 am - Reston, VA
RNY on 04/18/06 with
Hey, just don't forget to take me to the gym on Tuesday, too. I downloaded a "Biggest Loser" workout called "Boot Camp" on my iPod this morning, and tried it this afternoon -- boy it kicked my butt! Thanks again for all of your help -- all those years of babysitting are paying off!
(deactivated member)
on 3/2/06 6:21 pm - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Julie, Dianna called me yesterday and told me the awesome news . You can do this . I am so proud of you . I cannot wait to watch you get healthy and transform !!! As to the diet .. I would right now start a high protein .. LOW CARB diet . Start walking .. walking .. walking .. and get in no less than 80 oz or water or caffein free drinks . Dianna is such a great role model for you .She loves you so much .. just know that I too am here for you . I know we live far away . But you can ask her .. I will rise to the occasion for you . Anything you need I will do . I will send you some info .. just shoot me your email address . So .. in saying that .. know that I love and care about you and you will ROCK at this thang they called WLS surgery . Hugs , Natalie
~ Julie ~
on 3/4/06 5:47 am - Reston, VA
RNY on 04/18/06 with
Natalie, Thanks so much for all of the help you've not only given my sister, but me as well. I hope to get to know you lots better as time goes on. You're a wealth of information, and expect lots of questions from me! -Julie
(deactivated member)
on 3/2/06 6:55 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Way to go Julie - that's great news!!! I'm surprised your doc is expecting such a RAPID weight loss in just 6 short weeks. Granted, as SMO peeps, we DO lose a lot (initially) due to excess water weight and maybe that's what he's assuming with you too - but the typical HEALTHY weight loss (before surgery) is 2.5 lbs a WEEK, which based on that would get you at a 15 lb weight loss during the next 6 weeks. I suspect just UPPING your water and counting your calories would do the trick? Maybe figure out what you're averaging now (sigh, before surgery, I prolly averaged 4 to 5 thousand a day, give or take a muffin?) ...but based on what ever your average is, bring it down to a max of 1,500 a day? Take your water up to 100 oz a day, minimum, the water TRULY does help to flush the fat out of your system faster. Oh and start pluggin' your nose and drinking the protein shakes NOW! It won't actually help on the weight loss (unless you supplmnt one of them as a meal?) ...BUT it will begin to build up your protein stores in your body and PROTEIN is the biggest factor in promoting healthier and quicker healing!!! Six weeks before majory surgery is the PERFECT time to start this. Congrats to you - you can do it, Lei
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views