Iron suggestions?

cpatters
on 3/1/06 9:32 am - Rockingham County, VA
I recieved my blood work back and it says that I need to start taking an additional iron suplement. I am taking a multivitamin daily, but I need more. Are there any suggestions as to which iron suplement works better? Thanks, Cathy
prissy25
on 3/1/06 10:09 am - Barboursville, VA
Me personally Id eat it, beets. liver whatever has high iron those pills and liquid will constipate you if you take them be sure you use a stool softner.
Tam
on 3/1/06 6:58 pm - Richmond, VA
Try switching to a prenatal vitiman. I take them twice a day for the extra iron when my blood work came back low. It was recommended by my nurse practitioner. Tammy
MrsTonyaBrown
on 3/1/06 8:12 pm - Jacksonville, FL
My surgeon prescribed me a liquid iron suppliment. It tastes nasty but it's tolerable in 2oz of apple juice if I swallow quickly enough and then drink an oz of apple juice without the suppliment in it. I was told that low iron is nothing to play around with as it can cause anemia. My mother is now anemic because after her surgery 11 years ago, she decided she didn't need any vitamins or suppliments and only recently started taking them like she should after all her teeth and most of her hair fell out. Look for a liquid iron. Even if you take pills that have extra iron in them, since you're not that far out from surgery, it still won't be absorbed enough. If you're still not sure, contact your dr's office and ask which he recommends. Good luck, Tonya
(deactivated member)
on 3/1/06 9:24 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Hello Cathy ~ I double up my source of vitamins - Low IRON Is nothing to mess with and once it becomes LOW, you're already IN TROUBLE and more then likely will have to deal with iron infusions. Not fun and not quick. Us WLS peeps are a whole different fuzzy beast from the "normal" peeps out there. *WE* should start worrying when our labs come back on the low side of NORMAL, not the low side of low, because of our malabsob issues, it's that much harder to build it/anything back up. I take DAILY (and have for the last three years, since surgery) a Prenatal w/Iron AND am iron Pill by "Trinsicon", as well. Trinsicon can only be purchased with a script from your doc. Im not sure who your insurance carrier is, but mine (with TriCarePrime) PAYS for my PreNatal AND my Trinsicon scripts at no cost to me. It might be worth checking into for you too? Good luck to you - Lei
A10sFrau
on 3/1/06 9:52 pm - Rockbridge Co., VA
I was just told to get a multivit w/iron. But, I am not low yet. Maybe my age helps with that. Hope you find something that suits you. Lois
Ms Court
on 3/1/06 10:04 pm - Remington, VA
I take a chewable iron, I believe it is Nature's Plus that I get from Vitamin Shoppe. It has a fruity taste and isn't bad at all. I haven't had any problems with constipation. Please email me if you would lke more information. Courtney 13 weeks out - 58 lbs
Kathy & Rich
on 3/1/06 11:53 pm - Fairfax, VA
I take two Vitron C a day. I think each is 66 mg of elemental iron. I take an additional Vitamin C with it to help with absorption. And do not take it within 3 hours or so of taking Calcium. Early post-op, I took the same one that Courtney posted...the chewable Nature's one. I took a few of those a day. I believe those are much lower in mg than the Vitron C. What you do NOT want is something that is iron sulfate. That is probably the average iron that is out on the shelves in the stores. That is not the best one for post-ops due to absorption - I can find a medical reference if you would like. We want iron tablets that are either iron gluconate or iron fumerate, I believe. Good luck to you! Kathy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views