A VA Board Poll - VA Hot Spots

Kathy & Rich
on 2/27/06 7:51 am - Fairfax, VA
With the warmer weather coming and the thoughts of vacations, weekend getaways, day trips, etc... I wanted to post a question to everyone to help the rest of the group get ideas for nice places to visit within our own state. What is/are your favorite VA spot to visit? What little known place is just the coolest place in the state to visit? Please share! If you have other spots that are in closeby neighboring states, MD, PA, NC.... feel free to share those as well. Kathy
Dave
on 2/27/06 8:15 am - Palmyra, VA
Kathy: 2 main spots if you just want pretty places that are quiet but good for couples. 1. Douthat State Park near Clifton Forge (right off of I-64) is a great place to rent a cabin or camp. It's quiet, there are plenty of good walks and antique places in Clifton Forge. 2. Pipestem Resort in WVa. I've rented cabins there and the views, golf and horseback riding there is just plain great. They have several golf courses too which always make me happy. If you really want to burn some bucks, there's also the Homestead in Bath County for a long weekend! I love it there. I guess I'm still a mountain boy at heart! Dave
Kathy & Rich
on 2/27/06 8:19 am - Fairfax, VA
Dave, You and Rich have to catch up with each other for a game of golf sometime this year! He'd love it! Kathy
Christine Hood
on 2/27/06 11:13 am - Fort Eustis, VA
I have been blessed to live at my favorite place in Virginia (THE BEACH!!). Another awesome place is The Homestead in Hot Springs VA...I went there on a business trip. It is really expensive but it is AWESOME.
track
on 2/27/06 2:08 pm - on the beach down by the bay, VA
Well, needless to say, I'm partial to the beach, but it is a pretty big place, so I'll be more specific... In Virginia Beach - The Narrows at 64th Street....hiking trails, calm inland bay waters, lots of high priced $$$ houses, sandy beaches.. Also in Va. Beach - on Shore Drive..is First Landing Beach...a nice way to get away from the hoardes of touristas... Back Bay Wildlife Refuge for those who want to really get away from everything...8 mile bike/hike just to get to the secluded section...worth the trip In Charlottesville area - Crabtree Falls...what a place...longest falls east of the Mississippi! Anyplace along the Shenendoah River! The Floyd Country Store in Floyd VA...we'll be playing there in April for our anniversary! ya'll come on down... The entire length of the Blue Ridge Parkway...especially on the motorcycle. York River State Park between Hampton and Richmond...on the river. Killer mountainbike trails, and great paddling on the river! Tons more...but don't want to hog the bandwidth!!
nitengale
on 2/27/06 5:46 pm - Leesburg, VA
RNY on 09/14/04 with
Having these goodies in my old backyard...I'm very partial to Monticello, Michie Tavern...esp in the springtime... gardens are beautiful. I also loved humpback rock on Afton Mountain. Never could make it to the top but it was beautiful. Dark Hollow falls on Afton is also gorgeous... you hike DOWN to see the falls and then your legs quiver like noodles all the way back up!!! Crab Tree falls is another beautiful spot. There is a little island off shore and for the life of me I can't remember the name of it...it is not Assoteage or *****oteague...but you take a boat out and tour the island... the dinner in the main restaurant (only restaurant at the time) served family style... but what surprised me the most was that they "buried" their folks above ground!!! Otherwise they would sink to the bottom of the ocean!!! But the island was very quaint... definitely a slow paced place. Can't forget about Colonial Williamsburg or Yorktown. I love going to both of those. That's all my wheels will give me now... let me think a bit and I'll come up with more... OOOHHH...if you like to hit flea markets/antique spots/or gun shows....(helluva combo I know)...on Labor Day weekend..starting the Thursday before... in I think its SouthHill VA...HUGE EVENT...the whole town turns into a flea market...
nitengale
on 2/27/06 9:25 pm - Leesburg, VA
RNY on 09/14/04 with
That's IT!!! I knew it started with a T but my brain was stuck on Tafford...don't know why...never heard of tafford island??? It was early ... I was pooped! Thanks... Wanda
David@Goal
on 2/27/06 8:37 pm - VA
Would it be rude to answer - "in my boxer briefs"??? David
Kathy & Rich
on 2/27/06 9:08 pm - Fairfax, VA
It would be rude for you to NOT answer that. We've come to expect this from you and would be disappointed otherwise. Kathy
(deactivated member)
on 2/27/06 8:54 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
. G'morning Kathy ~ I posted this type of question to the VA Board last summer and got some AWESOME responses - tons and tons of suggestions of places to go, things to do. I liked the responses so much that I saved the link to my "favorites" so that I could reference it from time to time. If you, or anyone else, is interested in reading it, here is the link: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VA/postdetail/16909.html?vc=0 Fair warning, it's a LONG read so get comfy! Another great place to "visit" is a romantic getaway that Patti (Fribby Williams, from the VaBoard) told me about. Paul and I took advantage of it a couple of weeks ago and I'd love to go back again (NOW!!!) Here is the link to that post, if anyone is interested in finding out more: http://obesityhelp.com/forums/VA/postdetail/42644.html?vc=0 Happy Exploring and Traveling - so glad to see you posting again and to hear you're doing well with the recovery. Hugs ~ Lei .
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views