What to wear/take?

ElizabethC
on 2/27/06 7:01 am - Wirtz, VA
Hi all! I'm making my list and checking it twice! Here's what I have listed to take to the hospital: Pillow with Blue's Clues cover (gift from daughter to make me comfy) Cottonelle wipes Slippers and robe for walkin' Hairbrush, toothpaste & brush, lip gloss Goin' home clothes Can you think of anything else I'll need? Also, for clothes to go home in, is a "throw-on" comfy dress okay, or will I need something like sweats to deal with the tube better? Also, will I be able to shower at the hospital, or just sponge off (I have no idea how long post-op I have to wait to shower!!!) Any other suggestions are welcome!!!!!! Elizabeth the anxious
Kathy & Rich
on 2/27/06 7:11 am - Fairfax, VA
Hi, Elizabeth! I was able to shower at the hospital before I headed home. Best shower ever, of course, or so it felt! Are you going home with a tube? Is that your doctor's protocol? I didn't. I know that some do and some don't. You might want to bring both the sweats and the comfy throw on dress and see what suits your mood at the moment. If the sweats don't work, throw on the dress. You say lip gloss...that's great but is that in place of a chapstick or in addition to it? Definitely needed that. After anesthesia your lips and mouth are very, very dry! One of the few things I brought that I actually used. To be honest, I didn't use my own robe or gown or slippers. I used the hospital gown, the none slide socks, etc. I was pretty out of it from the anesthesia that I didn't bother with anything from my bag. Most people pack quite a bit and use very little of it so best to think minimalistic. Your time is drawing near! Best wishes, Kathy
MrsTonyaBrown
on 2/27/06 10:28 am - Jacksonville, FL
List looks good to me except the gloss. Go for a lip moisturizer, not something to make them shine. LOL. I took my own robe and slippers simply because I hate socks on my feet (toes need to breathe or I get too hot) and I could take my slippers off without bending over. And I took my own robe because while they had some nice sized ones, I was a 6x going into the hospital and liked my satiny, black robe that I knew was covering my rear better than their cotton one thrown over my shoulders to avoid pulling at my IV and such. As for coming home, I went home with a feeding tube (a rarity so don't fret about it, I was a special case) and wore the same polyester pants and stretchy shirt out as I did coming in. As for showering, I was unable BEFORE my surgery to stand up and take a shower so after my surgery in the hospital, my husband and mother helped me take sponge baths. I did get one shower on the last day I was there (8th day) but I just sat on the toilet and mother sprayed me with the nozzled while I washed where I could reach. All depends on how you were before your surgery. I was useless and helpless before. Now, I work out five days a week, keep the house clean, take care of our 2yr old, and can keep up sexually with my husband. LOL. But I'm rambling again. And I don't know about you, but unless you're going to have an entourage to get you home afterwards, ask friends and family not to send flowers and balloons to your room. They're a nice pick-me-up, but I was being wheeled out to the car with just my mother helping and we had to enlist an orderly to help carry the plants and balloons out. I ended up having to leave some behind because I just couldn't carry them all out. Hugs and good luck, Tonya
nitengale
on 2/27/06 5:47 pm - Leesburg, VA
RNY on 09/14/04 with
Your own pillow!!!
mel
on 2/27/06 5:59 pm - roanoke, VA
Hi Wanda! Everyone's different, and I was pretty bored the second day and waked alot so I felt good in my own robe. I also took a small down pillow and some light cologne for a pick me up. Some of your own lotion and chapstick is a good idea as well. Best of all, bring your positive attitude and the love from all of us and you will be fine! Hugs, Melannie
TammyNVA
on 2/27/06 8:00 pm - Chesterfield, VA
Hi Elizabeth!! I know you are getting soooo excited. I remember how I felt exactly 3 months ago today. I didn't use my own robe, but was glad for my own slippers... easier to get on and off. I also enjoyed my own scented body lotion and facial wash/moisturizer for a "normal" feeling. Definitely will need chap-stick! My hospital didn't offer a shower, but I gave myself a "sponge bath" daily. When I came home I took a shower, with my mom and daughter's help (I had a dislocated shoulder at the time, so it was challenging!) I think a "throw-on" comfy dress will be perfect. Good luck!! Tammy
(deactivated member)
on 2/27/06 9:04 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
. Hello Elizabeth ~ *I* found that the less I took with me, the better!! ..and NO, for once Im not being a sarcastic brat, honest! Over the years Ive seen updates on profiles with lists that were 15 and 20 items long. More times then not, if you read their journal updates after surgery you'll find they barely used a fraction of what was packed. Here is a simplified list of things I actually USED while I was there and I was in the hospital for five days. 1) Chapstick (especially if you have an NG tube) 2) Toothbrush / paste (unless your hospital has a welcome kit) 3) Phone card (to make calls from your bed - most hospitals don't allow cell phones in the hospital rooms) 4) WEAR something very loose and comfy TO the hospital that you can ALSO wear home. Keep in mind, you might have drains and you're going to want little to NO restriction around the stomach area. I wore a sundress. 5) Comb or brush (unless your hospital provides a welcome kit) 6) Something to read - assuming you want too? I took a book and a magazine but NEVER read anything, just looked at the pictures! 7) Tampons or Pads - although the hospital supplies them, they are the size of freakn skateboards. Surgeries can cause a woman to menstruate - even if she's just finished her cycle. 8) For the ride home, have whoever picks you up bring a PILLOW. You'll probably want to have it as a cushion for your belly with the bumps in the drive. Good luck to you - it's a very exciting period in your life and Im sure you're on euphoric high right now! - Lei .
ElizabethC
on 2/27/06 9:19 pm - Wirtz, VA
Wow! Thanks for all the great ideas!!! I can't believe I put "lip gloss"...DUH! I meant chapstick! I'm so used to my daughter calling it lip gloss ;) Actually, in the winter I use A&D ointment. It really keeps my lips from cracking, and the fishy oil keeps me from licking!!!! I think I will take both a dress and sweats, then can decide when the time comes what to actually wear home. Lei, thanks SO much for the reminder about pads!! I actually scheduled my surgery to NOT have to deal with the dreaded red tide, but after you said that, I remember that when I had surgery last February that it triggered a light period. Like we need THAT on top of everything else!!! Thanks again for the awesome help! Elizabeth
(deactivated member)
on 2/27/06 9:36 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
...oh trust me, I can sooooooooooooo relate! My body absolutely HATES surgeries of any type and it revolts, goes on strike, stomps its feet, screams and kicks like a newborn and I suspect it's it's way of getting even with me! I know (like clockwork) to expect TWO things: 1) I will start my period, regardless of WHEN it's due. 2) I will lose my hair, regardless of ANYTHING I do to help prevent it.
Ernurse323
on 2/28/06 10:54 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!! Don't say those number 1's and Number 2's LEI !!!! I have a sneaky feeling I am going to be as bald as Kojak and bleeding like a slaughtered pig !!! Just something I am feeling right now !!!..LOL Dana
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views