Reduced hospital fee!!!

ElizabethC
on 2/26/06 8:05 pm - Wirtz, VA
I've been hiding...okay, not really, just been so busy with life that I haven't been online much! I had to share the great news though... I went to the hospital (Lewis-Gale) Friday to try and work a deal with them on what their charges will be for my surgery (as a self-pay patient). I was expecting them to either laugh or at best cut me a 10% deal. The lady printed off a sheet and handed it to me. The basic cost (no complications, and doesn't include surgeon or aneths. fees) for Lap RNY was @ $28,000......they cut it down 35%, then by agreeing to pay up front, cut ANOTHER 15% off.....so now it's down to just over $15,000!!!!!!!! I am SOOOOO relieved! That is half of what we'd set aside for the hospitalization!!! Not only that, but if any complications should arrise, that discount will also apply to those fees. I am going to be calling the surgeon and anesth's offices today to see if I can work any other deals! Anyone who is going through self-pay, please do yourself the favor and talk to your hospital...they always pad the "before" price, they CAN help you too!!! Three weeks to go and SO excited Elizabeth
Betsy Anitahug
on 2/26/06 8:42 pm - Danville, VA
Wow, Elizabeth, that IS exciting...I am so glad you were able to get it discounted. I can't believe you only have 3 weeks to go. I will be thinking of you. Hugs, Betsy
A10sFrau
on 2/27/06 1:23 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
What terrific news! Lois
Tam
on 2/27/06 2:21 am - Richmond, VA
That's awesome! I am glad you thought to do that. Every little bit helps! Tammy C 10 months post op -169 lbs
Kathy & Rich
on 2/27/06 8:13 am - Fairfax, VA
Congratulations, Elizabeth! Nice to know that the hospital will accept less than the published rate. Hope you find the same from your physician and anesthesiologist too. Best wishes, Kathy
ElizabethC
on 2/27/06 9:33 pm - Wirtz, VA
Woohoo...I found out which group is doing the anesth. (Valley Anesthesiology), and they cut me a 25% deal! My pre-op EKG and bloodwork was already included in the hospital price, and the surgeon wouldn't cut a deal...but I have a feeling that his fee may have already been reduced since they knew up front that I was self-pay. So, the costs, barring complications: - Surgeon: $4331 (included 1st consult, 2nd consult, EGD doc's fee and surgery fee) - Gallbladder sono: $0 (insurance paid 100% - it's all in how they code it!) - Psych Evals (2 visits): $40 (insurance paid some) - EGD (hospital portion): $560 (insurance paid some) - Nutritionist: I wasn't required to see one. I have been going to the support meetings, plus had already seen a Nut last year, and know that post-op I will be working with the hospital's Nut and my surgeon, so I felt like I had a good idea of what to change and expect post-op. - Anesthesiology: $1155 (we estimated a 3 hour surgery, plus was given a 25% discount) - Hospital: $15,335 (includes pre-op EKG and bloodwork; that was with a 35% discount, then a 15% upfront paying discount...the nice thing is that IF complications arrise, I am guaranteed in writing that discount on anything additional) So the estimated total is: $21,421. Yes, it's a lot of money...but my health, happiness and life is worth WAY more than that! Plus, we had set aside $38,000 going into this. I hope this gives anyone who's going in as self-pay and idea of what to expect. Make those calls and BARGAIN! Elizabeth
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views