Checkin' In (had surgery again last Friday)

Kathy & Rich
on 2/26/06 6:37 am - Fairfax, VA
Howdy, all! Just checkin' in. Had throat surgery on Friday. Had my one parathyroid gland removed (had a tumor on it) and had part of my thyroid removed. The thyroid had a small nodule on it so while Dr. Moazzez was in there he decided it would be easier to do it now then later if it needed it due to scar tissue. (All non-WLS related.) Dr. Moazzez took great care of me. What a fine surgeon. The surgery was almost 4 hours and he made me stay overnight to check on my pararthyroid hormone (PTH) and calcium levels. Plus the big risk is the neck swelling and breathing being impaired because of it so there was a trachechotomy kit in my room as a precaution. Everyone at Fair Oaks was great despite waking me almost every hour for vitals or blood. Friday night the nurse was in with me and got a call. It was Dr. M checking to make sure his orders for me were being followed and he wanted an immediate call back when my blood work came back from the lab. It is a nice feeling to be monitored that closely. We got home yesterday around 1 pm. I'm not in alot of pain... just mild. Haven't bothered with pain meds at all. Not since surgery in fact. It is more the pulling of the incision as I move my neck that is bothersome. The incision is at the front base of my neck and looks like 3 inches long. It is in the one crease so I don't expect there to be much of a scar later. It should blend in. Right now the scar looks icky with all the steri-strips. I never realized how much we use our neck for virtually every movement. And boy does my neck itch! I swear my waddle (flappy skin) looks bigger now. I won't mention the 12 lbs of IV fluids that came home with me. Ouch! I'm pretty tired. I'm going to try to go to work for a little while tomorrow. I have to find a document that is hiding on my PC. Long story. LOL! Funny story...Rich went to Costco this morning and he hears "How is Kathryn doing today?" It was Dr. Moazzez. Nice to know he was once again checking on me. Hopefully I'm done with surgeries now. Four in less than 11 months is more than enough, eh? Hope each and everyone of you is doing well! Kathy
Betsy Anitahug
on 2/26/06 7:49 am - Danville, VA
Hi Kathy....Sure hope you are done with surgeries for a while....almost want to telll them to put a zipper in...I know, I have had 23 surgeries...enough is enough...Glad you are feeling good! I was thinking about ya... Hugs, Betsy
Kathy & Rich
on 2/26/06 7:57 am - Fairfax, VA
Thanks, Betsy! I'd be covered with zippers if that were the case since my surgeries covered different locations and sides. I cannot imagine 23, my dear. Hugs to you, Kathy
turtlegirl
on 2/26/06 8:00 am - In the middle of the woods, VA
Kathy, You've really been through so much in a short period of time. I'm so glad you came through the surgery and having such a caring and concerned doctor - hold onto him - they are few and far between. Crystal
Kathy & Rich
on 2/27/06 6:46 am - Fairfax, VA
Thanks, Crystal!
sylvia
on 2/26/06 8:36 am - Stafford, VA
Kathy - I am so glad that you are past this surgery and doing so good. I couldn't agree with you more - Dr. Moazzez is a superb doctor and a truly nice, caring person. We were both so lucky to have found him. Take care of yourself and get plenty of rest. Hugs, Sylvia
Kathy & Rich
on 2/27/06 6:47 am - Fairfax, VA
Hey, Sylvia! Yes, we are indeed lucky to have Dr. M as our doctor! Hope you are doing great! Hugs back at ya, Kathy
kammcdonald
on 2/26/06 10:20 am - Norfolk, VA
Good to hear that you are doing as well as you are!! I agree, though.....enough of any more surgeries!!! Hope you feel back to normal soon!!! *Kam*
Kathy & Rich
on 2/27/06 6:49 am - Fairfax, VA
Thanks so much, Kam!
SlimminShannon
on 2/26/06 10:59 am - Richmond, VA
Glad you made it home safe and sound. Think you can make it through the next month or two without a surgery?? What are we gonna do with ya woman? Tell RIch he better be taking good care of you!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views