I don't think pasta is my friend!!

** Judy **
on 2/26/06 5:13 am - Virginia Beach, VA
I am 15 months out. I do not eat pasta usually -- or, maybe just a spoonful. I have had no problems with such a small amount. Yesterday we went to the Olive Garden. Hubby and I shared a meal -- I think it was called "Tour of Italy". I ate about 1/4 of it -- much more pasta than I have tried in the past. I started feel quite yucky. Then I got very tired and sleepy. After about an hour, I felt somewhat back to normal. It was something I do NOT want to experience in the future -- so I think I will stay away from the pasta!! Do you think I "dumped" on pasta or was this just a coincidence? Thanks, Judy 280/158/???
Judy B.
on 2/26/06 5:46 am - Marion, VA
It could have been something in the pasta..maybe sugar or something used in the dish you got. My thoughts Hugs JudyB
** Judy **
on 2/27/06 5:12 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that -- maybe it was the sugar in the sauce. Thanks "Judy B" -- you just might be right!!
A10sFrau
on 2/26/06 6:41 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
I fixed myself blended spaghetti last night. I had to check the sauce I usually use for sugar content--too high. I did have a more savory sauce with way fewer grams of sugar, and so used that for my concoction. My daughter ate the usual, yummy, sauce. So, maybe it was hidden sugar in your case. I have found that I can "carb out", get very sleepy if I overload on carbs--at least I did that fairly often before surgery. Lois
** Judy **
on 2/27/06 5:14 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Hi Lois: I didn't think about the carbs. Something certainly made me sleepy. Guess I better watch the sugar AND the carbs in the future. Thanks, Judy
blues-singer
on 2/26/06 12:16 pm - San Marcos, CA
Your reaction sounds just like what happens to me or my wife when we have too many carbs. Both of our blood sugars spike (we're both type II diabetic) and causes us to get very tired and sleepy, or "fuzzy-headed". Have your blood sugar checked.
** Judy **
on 2/27/06 5:16 am - Virginia Beach, VA
I am not diabetic -- but, still those carbs are sometimes a problem. I weight loss was fairly slow at the beginning -- I began a closer watch on the carbs and weight loss picked up. Thanks, Judy
track
on 2/26/06 2:08 pm - on the beach down by the bay, VA
Pasta can be a definite 'no' for some folks, and I am one of 'em. I'm over 2 years out and still cannot eat pasta or rice, even brown, something to do with the processed flour, carb content etc. The Barilla Plus is a bit better, but every time I have tried some pasta, my system definitely lets me know!...so message rcvd. I suppose I could 'force' myself to get used to it, but why bother. The surgery is a great tool, listen to its messages and find alternatives. I use spagetti squash when I want something 'italian', not exactly the same, but very tasty when done right! You might want to look into pasta and rice alternatives such as quinoa, amaranth and millet...not grains, but high protein seed substitutes. Usually found in your local health food stores. In the beach area here you have The Heritage and Terra Nova, and sometimes they can be found in the local Kroger. Once again, different, but no bad reactions, and a much healthier alternative. Good luck!
** Judy **
on 2/27/06 5:18 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Hi Track -- how ya'doin?? Thanks for the "spagetti squash" suggestion. I had forgotten about using it to replace pasta. It would be so much heathier!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views