I'm back!

Julie R.
on 2/23/06 6:50 am - Belspring, VA
Hey everyone! I'm back home. Actually, I got back yesterday around 6pm, but didn't feel up to going upstairs to sit on the computer until now. Well, Dr. Lucktong said that the surgery went beautifully! I remember the anethesiologist asking me about my Dalmatian (he overheard me talking to the nurse) and that is the last thing I remembered until I woke up in recovery. I remeber being asked if I wanted to be moved up to my room, but I told them I felt nautious and wanted to stay where I was. When I came to again, they were moving me to my room. The next time, I looked up to find my husband and mom sitting in front of me staring at me. I cracked a joke at them and then was out agian until later that evening. My first night in the hospital was miserable. Not because of my stomach but my back. Dr. Lucktong had told me I could get up and walk that evening if I wanted, but everytime I asked someone, they told I could walk tomorrow. I should have demanded to walk, because that night I spent in agony because of my back spasms. Once I was allowed to walk around later in the morning, my back straightened right out. Then I only had to deal with the million situps I must have done while I was under anesthesia After my back situation, the nurses were wonderful! Too bad they kept running into problems with my pain meds. The first night, they couldn't get me to show up in the system, so I couldn't get anything for pain until that was taken care of. They kept on running into similar problems the next day. On my last day, I waited patiently for the time when I could have some pain meds. My mophine pump was gone, and I didn't get anything via IV because I was doing so well. Well, 90 minutes later, I finally got my meds. My nurse came in and was VERY upset because according to upstairs, I was not authorized to receive anything due to a computer problem. She told me that she informed them to get breifly in tears! When I finally received my meds, I was so far gone, it only touched on my pain. Luckily, Dr. Lucktong came by shortly thereafter, and I told him what had been happening. He said that I would be better off at home because it appeared that I would be much better off at home and could take care of my own administration of medications. He told me under the cir****tances, I was doing beautifully and my incisions looked perfect. Thankfully, he had them give me a shot of pain medications to suppliment the oral stuff, once I mentioned the long drive we had home. After a nice rest last night on the couch (we have a reclining couch), I woke up feeling good this morning. Stiff but good. If I gripped a little too much in this email it is only to warn those getting ready for surgery. Be sure to stand up for yourself. If I had not taken no for an answer the first night, the whole experience wouldn't have been nearly as rough. It's great to be back! I'll probably take a few days away from the computer to recouperate, but once I feel up to it, I will be back again. Thanks so much for all of the supportive emails I received before and after surgery; they meant a lot to me! Talk to you all later Julie Finally on the losing side
hollydecarlo
on 2/23/06 8:00 am - hopewell, VA
glad to see your back and everything went well welcome to the losing side!!! congrats!!! hugs, holly
MrsTonyaBrown
on 2/23/06 9:30 am - Jacksonville, FL
Welcome home, Julie. Glad to see you're home and doing well. Remember, don't reach too much or bend over too far for at least a few weeks. I didn't follow that rule and spent a total of six weeks until my last incisions (the ones I ripped open bending down) finally healed over. Hugs, Tonya
Susan E.
on 2/23/06 9:59 am - Purcellville, VA
Welcome Home. Keep us posted on your progress. Hugs Susan
USMCBrat76
on 2/23/06 11:10 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 09/13/06 with
Julie~ Glad things went (for the most part) well for you! Things are always better when you're at home!!! Keep us posted!! ~Kimberly
kizie23
on 2/23/06 11:20 am - blacksburg, VA
Julie, I am so glad to hear that everything went well for you. I can only imagen the pain you were in with out any type of pain medication. Again just wanted to say welcome to the loosing side. Melissa
*~Tigger~ *
on 2/23/06 8:16 pm - Staunton, VA
Welcome to the losers' bench! Get ready for the ride of your life! JoAnn
Betsy Anitahug
on 2/23/06 9:37 pm - Danville, VA
Oh, Julie...I am so sorry about the situation on the pain meds...I know when I was there the nurses were over worked and it took awhile to get anything...All in all, I had a good experience in the hospital..I was in for five days...Loved their beds...I am glad you are now a loser!!!! You are really in for the ride of your life, girlfriend! It is exciting and I am thrilled with my results. Hugs a bunch, Betsy
Ms Court
on 2/23/06 10:09 pm - Remington, VA
Welcome to the losing side Julie. Sorry that you had a bad experience but remember that it is all part of the journey and will make your experience unique. Courtney 12 weeks out -55 lbs
mel
on 2/24/06 6:26 am - roanoke, VA
So glad all went well-Except for the pain med debauckle... Welcome to the beautiful losing side of this surgery. I will email you a long note when I get home from work.... Again, congrats!!!! Love to you, Melannie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views