I am Back From Doctor

(deactivated member)
on 2/23/06 4:19 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Well .. for the past 20 months I have had severe pain in my neck . Today it became unbearable to the point I was in tears and had to leave work for the doctor . They took countless xrays .. and determined I have severe swelling around my disc and spine . I have been refered to a neurologist in March . Honestly .. I am scared .. and feel really stupid .. as I have ignored this for so long .. I actually started having the pain pre-surgery and would crack my neck to get relief .. now when I crack my kneck I end up in pain . They gave me a steriod shot , vicodin and Tizandine ( muscle relaxer ) offered me NSAIDS .. LOL but I had to turn them down . Has anyone out here had any neck pain since surgery .. and if so what happend .. ? Thanks , Tink
(deactivated member)
on 2/23/06 4:36 am - Remington, VA
HI Tink, I am a preop hopeful still waiting for an appeal decision post denial. Anyway. I can definitely empathize with your pain. I've been having right sided neck pain for a couple of weeks. I cant even pop my neck for relief as it wont give! All I can offer is support! I hope your swelling goes down and the outcome is nothing more then physical therapy or something of that sort! Best wishes! Kirsten
lookin2lose2
on 2/23/06 5:14 am - Fairfax, VA
RNY on 01/27/06 with
You hang in there! I pray for God's Healing. You are so good to others in your advice and help so I pray someone can respond with some information. I'm sorry I don't have any advice. You take good Care! Jean
Dave
on 2/23/06 5:56 am - Palmyra, VA
So sorry for your suffering Nat. My pain is at the other end of my spine and is not getting any better. I guess sitting on less padding and carrying around so much weight for so long really did a number on my spinal alignment down in my butt! Dave
Ernurse323
on 2/23/06 5:58 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Tink, It sounds to me that you need a MRI to see if you have a herniated disc in your neck area. The steroid shot will bring some of the swelling down for a little while. Actually lower back..L4-5 are the most common but your cervical spine can herniate also. Even the slightest bit of disc compression can cause this. In the ER many people would have symptoms like this. The x-rays ruled out fractures and bone compression. Sometimes with the x-rays the docs can tell if the disc space is narrowed. I have had patients come in with their hands and shoulders tingling..and neck pain. I don't want to say that the WLS caused this. I have not seen any WLS patients come in with this. I think it is just a sporatic thing that happens to some people. Keep us posted on this. I will ask around to some of the docs and other nurses that I know. Get well.... Hugs, Dana
(deactivated member)
on 2/23/06 6:44 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
OMG .. I just woke up from my nap ( From the vicies ) and WOW look at your beauty .. OMG .. Dana !!!!!! Thank you for asking around for me . I have an appointment with the Neuro on the 22nd of March . and will see what Happens ... I am normally on the other end of this .. feels weird . Big hugs to you .. Nat
Ernurse323
on 2/23/06 8:31 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
Hey Nat.. I asked an ER doc and a P.A. I know and they both said it sounds like you need a MRI also. The neurologist will order one..But you family physician or PMP could order one now to get the ball rolling. Then when you do see the neurologist he can review the results with you and tell you what your condition is and what your options are. ( It could be something like a pinched/irritated nerve and maybe the steroid shot will relieve this, or a herniated disc, or some degenerative changes that may require a possible fussion. BUT degenerative changes start at 30 and with athletic people CAN happen in their 20's !!! ) If you are in this much pain..which I am sure you are..It seems kind of unreasonable to wait for the MRI at least which would happen weeks after your visit with neurology. Give your doctor a call back and ask him if he could go possibly order it now so when you see the Neuro he will have the results. I know what you mean about it being on the other end of things. I am so use to being the nurse, it is killing me to be a patient and at everyone's mercy...lol I feel on shakey grounds with all of my WLS stuff !! Take care..and if I can answer any questions email me !!! I am off for my pre-op labs !! Hugs, Dana
hollydecarlo
on 2/23/06 7:58 am - hopewell, VA
nat, im so sorry to here your not feeling well. i will keep you in my thought and prayer.. hugs, holly
Kathy & Rich
on 2/23/06 8:38 am - Fairfax, VA
Hey, Sweetie! I didn't have neck surgery since surgery but I did have back surgery (laminectomy) prior to surgery. They trimmed two herniated discs. Definitely helped and my recovery wasn't bad at all but this was my lower back L4/L5 and L5/S1. I do know how painful this all can be. The two weeks while waiting for the surgery were the worst days of my life. I cried each day from the pain. I'm so sorry, hon. I know a great spine surgeon up this way. He rocks. Let me know if you need a name. Know it is a long way for you. Take good care of you! Love, Kathy
Susan E.
on 2/23/06 10:05 am - Purcellville, VA
Hope you feel better Nat. I have neck pain all the time. I went to spine Doc few weeks ago. I have a bone spur and arthritis (Geeze, I'm not that old) Nothing to do about it really. He gave me some muscle relaxers. Thats about it. But this was not new from WL Surgery. I have had it a long time. Rest up, were stepp'in out in a few weeks, Baltimore, Yeah... Hugs, Susan
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views