LAP BAND

JESS4HOUSTON
on 2/23/06 1:20 am - VA
After researching Bariatric Surgery for three years I've finnally decided that I want to proceed in having the LAP BAND procedure. Of course that is if my insurance will cover it and if I qualify for it. Could anyone please share with me there experience with it? Who was your surgeon? What hospital? Did your insurance cover it? Results? Side effect (slippage)? What you are thoughts of your surgeon would you recommend him or her? Etc. Any information you could provide would be great. Thank you in advance for your help!
Christina R.
on 2/23/06 3:21 am - Reston, VA
Jessica- No information to share, I just wanted to encourage you and welcome you to this journey into WLS. Get ready for a ride! Christina S
DonnaJEM
on 2/23/06 3:55 am - Mechanicsville, VA
Hi Jessica, I'll be reading any of the reply's to your questions because you and I are in the same boat. My PCP gave me a brochure on this and I attended a free seminar at St. Mary's. I highly recommend attending one. Call the Richmond Surgical Group and tell them you want to attend one. They'll tell you when and where. I suggest you get there early or else you won't have a place to sit! The one I went to was PACKED! I made my appointment with the surgeon the next day! I already know that my insurance DOES NOT cover this. My employer does not pay for the rider, so when I called Southern Health, they said no way, no how. So I'm going to have to come up with the money myself. Somehow I will. To keep you motivated I also recommend looking at the before and after pictures on this website. I do it everyday! Also, go to the website for Bringham and Womens hospital in Pennsylvania and see if they still have the live webcast you can check out. I watched the entire operation being performed on a woman. It was very interesting and informative. Sorry I can't answer your questions first-hand about the operation, Lord knows I wish I could. But just know that there are others out here just like you, working towards the same goal. Good Luck and email me if you would like to talk further. Donna
Betsy Anitahug
on 2/23/06 9:26 pm - Danville, VA
Good Morning, Jessica...I too have no information about the LapBand as I had the other in December. I just wanted to say I am proud of you for choosing this journey to gain a healthier life. Before surgery, I was on 13 different meds a day and now I am on 2...thyroid meds and heart meds...that is all...I am down 59 pounds since the first consult and 41 since surgery. It is an amazing ride and I am thrilled...Good luck on your decision and I am sure whichever one you decide on, will be the right one for you. Hugs, Betsy
JESS4HOUSTON
on 2/24/06 12:06 am - VA
Thank you everyone for your response. I'm really interested in LAP Band. I'm going to sign up for a seminar on it. I joined curves last night so I'm hoping in the mean time I'll continue on weigh****chers and now start working out at cruves and see where I go while I continure to proceed in lap band. Hopefully someone on here will have had lap bad done by a local surgeon and could shed some light for all of us! Thanks again for the welcomes!!!
(deactivated member)
on 2/24/06 4:43 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Hey Jessica...I can only share my experience thus far with you. I have been approved for lapband. I am pre-op waiting on a date from my doctors office. I chose Norfolk Surgical Group and Dr. Wohlgemuth, although he is experienced the downside is that because he is a general surgeon, he has other patients (a ton of them) in front of me. I will be waiting until May at least. I have Cigna, which is one of the reasons I choose this doctors office. They had personnel who were dedicated to combing through my documents and getting everything necessary to get approved. I borrowed a ton of books from the library on WLS and brought a book by Ahroni on the LapBand. I also joined some of the bandster yahoo groups for more info and to see how post-ops were doing with there WL goals. I suggest you check out www.lapbandtalk.com. There is a ton of info there and it has pre-op/post-op pics for the banded only. Email me if you need any more info.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views