sugar alcohols?

cpatters
on 2/20/06 2:21 am - Rockingham County, VA
Can someone tell me what are suger alcohols? Should I advoid them? Thanks, Cathy
MrsTonyaBrown
on 2/20/06 3:37 am - Jacksonville, FL
From what I've read, it's an alternative to sugar that doesn't raise your blood sugar sky high. BUT!!!! Eat too much and you'll be powerscrubbing the inside of your toilet with your backside. (firsthand experience here) I ate three "sugar free" chocolate candies (Brach's Turtle Candies) and spent like 2 or 3 hours on the toilet not long afterwards. :P I try to keep sugar alcohols down to 15 or less. The chocolates where 18 each! Bah, bad Tonya. LOL. Hope that helps. Tonya
jilldennis
on 2/20/06 4:24 am - White Post, VA
RNY on 08/30/05 with
Hi, Cathy Sugar Alcohols give me an almost instant headache - sometimes followed by a "blah" feeling. I try to avoid them all together. Some people seem to have no problem with them what-so-ever! Hugs! Jill
Kathy & Rich
on 2/20/06 5:12 am - Fairfax, VA
A technical definition is below. Some folks do well with them, some folks don't. You won't really know until you try. I sometimes do okay but sometimes I end up with bad gas pains from them so I tend to avoid them. If I do have some I try to have only very small amounts. Most SF candies and ice creams have sugar alcohols because they makes things sweet and splenda alone really doesn't. Most protein bars contain a pretty substantial amount of sugar alcohols so I definitely avoid those except for the Power Crunch which luckily is splenda only. Kathy "Sugar alcohols are actually a group of compounds formerly known as polyhydric alcohols, now called polyols. They are nonsugar carbohydrates that are considered reduced calorie bulk sweeteners because they have a mass similar to sugar. Sugar alcohols are slowly absorbed (therefore, they have a minimal effect on blood glucose and insulin), poorly digested (large amounts have a laxative effect in some people and may cause gas or bloating in others), and do not cause tooth decay (oral bacteria cannot break them down). They resist mold and bacteria better than sugar because they do not absorb as much water as does sugar. Sugar alcohols may be cooked but (unlike sugar) do not brown with heat. Sugar alcohols got their name because one part of the their molecular structure resembles an alcohol molecule and the other part resembles a sugar molecule. They are neither a sugar nor an alcohol. Their misleading name continues to generate confusion."
hollydecarlo
on 2/20/06 9:20 am - hopewell, VA
im not sure what sugar alchols are but they make me dump if there are to much of them in something. i avoid anything with more than 7 grams.
*~Tigger~ *
on 2/20/06 10:45 am - Staunton, VA
Cathy, They are evil, evil little demons that give me horrible gas! JoAnn
nitengale
on 2/22/06 2:32 pm - Leesburg, VA
RNY on 09/14/04 with
in other words... avoid them in large numbers unless you are constipated!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views