trying again, please give advice

Shelly M.
on 2/18/06 4:01 pm - Woodbridge, VA
hi everyone, im new to the post, my situation is this..last year I applied for WLS through medicaid and was denied. My PCP did not think that WLS was the way to go, she wants everyone to do diet and exercise till they are a size 6. Well I did not know this until after i was denied. I switched doctors and am now seeing fnp foster-weiss. she is wonderful, thought i still have not popped the WLS question to her I have been letting her know about my struggle. I also have medicare now as well as medicaid. I am going in for a sleep study tomorrow and am going to quit smoking with my doctors help in 2 weeks. I have diabetes,asthema, pain everywhere, skin problems and other things wrong due to my weight. i am 4'11" and weight about 215. i think that makes my bmi a little over 42. I am 22 years old and want to have a healthy life, i want children one day and also want to be able to do normal day to day things without being "weighed down" What would you say would be my next step for getting the surgery? thank you all
Kennie29
on 2/18/06 5:02 pm - Chesapeake, VA
Honey, I would find a doctor and attend a seminar, they are opened to the public and then go from there. They will guide you the process, but the first step is to go to a seminar or a support group to get some info from the doctors and their patients. I had surgery on the 6th and have been doing great great great! I had mine done LAP so now long scare just five small ones, my doctor is awesome. I feel so much better, but I started my process last November just attending them seminar and going from there!! Good luck honey!! Kennie
TammyNVA
on 2/18/06 7:58 pm - Chesterfield, VA
Hi Diana, I would suggest your best strategy now would be to educate yourself as much as possible about WLS and put together a letter/list of why you feel it is YOUR best option for losing weight. First, it will probably be needed by your insurance but also it will help you put it all into perspective for yourself. Part of that could include Kennie's suggestion of attending a seminar with a local doctor. I'm from Richmond and am partial to Commonwealth Surgeons. There are other good doctors out of MCV as well. I'd also suggest start living the "lifestyle" such as focusing your diet on protein and low fat/sugar, lots of vitamins, and staying hydrated by drinking water/fluids constantly at a sipping pace. Also, start trying out some of the many protein supplements out there that are sugar free/no sugar added. It will help to have some you like for after surgery. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress...and GOOD FOR YOU FOR QUITTING SMOKING!!! Hugs, Tammy
A10sFrau
on 2/18/06 9:18 pm - Rockbridge Co., VA
Ditto, on Tammy's advice--adopt the lifestyle. I did that before my surgery, proved to myself that I could tolerate and in fact easily work with the diet AND lost 34 pounds prior to surgery. Good luck! Lois
Shelly M.
on 2/19/06 1:55 am - Woodbridge, VA
hey everyone thank you for such quick and helpful responses. i had a quick question. I went to doctor hutcher last year with my medicaid, i was denied, is it a good idea to try for the same doctor this time around since my insurance and pcp have changed, or do you think that my denial the first time will make them view me in a negative light?
TammyNVA
on 2/19/06 3:58 am - Chesterfield, VA
Although I was fortunate that I didn't have to jump through TOO MANY hurdles for insurance to cover my WLS, I truly don't believe that the doctor's office holds it against you. They deal with this all the time and, based on other's postings, can often be your best advocate. I'd say go back to Dr. Hutcher. Good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views