One Year Ago Today

Kathy & Rich
on 2/17/06 9:01 pm - Fairfax, VA
Ah, what wonders a year will do... Let's see... to start with I weighed 276 lbs. I was using over 100 units of insulin a day. I took 2 high blood pressure pills a day. And I used a CPAP to help me sleep and stay asleep. I was having horrible back problems that had started the previous November. I saw a nasty orthopedic surgeon who didn't really look at my MRI. He just looked at me and said "I didn't need to see the chart - I could have taken ONE look at you to tell you what was wrong." Basically, he meant I was FAT. Yup. Nice, eh? When truly my MRI showed two herniated discs one of which had a tear...but no, I was just plain fat. To keep this somewhat short... I started my pre-op diet 2/18/2005 in prep for my WLS one year ago today! My WLS was approved this week last year. But it had to wait for my back to be fixed first. The doctors conferred and decided I could have WLS at the earliest 5 weeks after back surgery. Back surgery was 3/31/2005 (the two weeks prior to that were the worst day of my life - I've never experienced pain like that). WLS became scheduled for 5/20/2005. From 2/18/2005 to 5/20/2005, I worked hard on my low-carb diet. I couldn't exercise due to my back but I managed to lose 32 lbs which exceeded my surgeon's goal to lose 10% of my body weight. When I went for my pre-op appointment a week or two before surgery, he looked at my chart and smiled and looked at Rich and asked if he could "hug" me. Guess alot of people struggled with the pre-op weight loss. Me? No, I wanted this surgery so bad that I was going to just grin and bear it and do all that I could to get it done. No last meals for this gal. On 5/20/2005 surgery day, I weighed in at 244 lbs. I now weigh 169 lbs. I'm 2.5 lbs higher than my lowest weight EVER as an adult (when I was 23). I'm 8 lbs from a "normal" BMI (when have I ever been normal?). And I'm 9 lbs from my personal goal of 160 but I'd be happy if the weight loss stopped here. I am off all medications and my CPAP. My blood sugars are stable and glorious. I feel wonderful. If not for my back, I can run a 5K. (I tried and hurt for it later.) I go to the gym about 5 days a week. I eat well still focusing on my protein. What a difference a year makes. Kathy (scheduled for parathyroid surgery 2/24/06 (non-WLS related) - 4th surgery in a year! Oh boy!)
KathieKathie
on 2/17/06 10:02 pm - Manassas, VA
What a difference, indeed! Congrats on your achievements! You've got a LOT to be proud of there! Sooooooo happy for you! hugs, Kathie
Kathy & Rich
on 2/18/06 5:18 am - Fairfax, VA
Thanks, Kathie!
Ernurse323
on 2/17/06 11:10 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
HI Kathy, Those are many great accomplishments !!! Congrats to you !! I am so sorry you had to deal with an orthopedic surgon like that. What a jerk. Nasty behavior like that in health care should ALWAYS be reported. It doesn't sound like he was trying to start a paper trail in case you decided to have WLS..it sounds like he was being ugly. Good luck on your upcoming surgery on the 24th. I am sure you will pull through like a trooper. Hugs, Dana
Kathy & Rich
on 2/18/06 5:19 am - Fairfax, VA
Thanks, Dana! And my aren't you a lovely thing...look at your picture!
Dave
on 2/18/06 3:43 am - Palmyra, VA
Simply awesome! Proud of you Kathy more than you'll ever know! You've done so well! Dave
Kathy & Rich
on 2/18/06 5:20 am - Fairfax, VA
Thanks, Dave. I do appreciate it.
sylvia
on 2/18/06 8:10 am - Stafford, VA
Kathy you are such an inspiration! What you have been through in the past year is awe inspiring; what obstacles you have overcome. I hope that by this time next year I can report similar success to yours. Best wishes. Sylvia RNY 1/23/06 270/245/150ish?
Kathy & Rich
on 2/18/06 9:19 am - Fairfax, VA
Thanks, Sylvia! You'll be truly amazed what changes will happen in a year. Hang on for a wild ride, my dear! Kathy
Ms Court
on 2/18/06 9:53 am - Remington, VA
Kathy you are such an inspiration. You have had such a wonderful year. I wish the best for you in the year to come. courtney 11 weeks out - 53 lbs
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views