I NEED red meat!

LB
on 2/15/06 5:05 am - Northern, VA
I've become strangely obsessed with steak lately. I don't know what my deal is. Has anyone else gone through this or is it just a personal thing? At least a week...or more often...I'm CRAVING red meat. Its so weird. I've always liked steak, but before surgery I never had a NEED for it. PS. For those of you (and you know who you are) wondering...NO, not that kind of meat. Geesh! Get out of the gutter!
Ms Court
on 2/15/06 5:15 am - Remington, VA
Hey girl. How are you doing? I think maybe craving red meat is a sign of low iron, at least I think I heard/read that somewhere. Although having a steak now and then isn't that bad. Courtney 11 weeks - 53 lbs p.s. Thanks for ordering me out of the gutter, I just can't help going there sometimes.
LB
on 2/15/06 5:27 am - Northern, VA
Hey, girl. Thanks! I didn't even think of that. Going to the Dr. tomorrow...to hear about my blood test. I assume low iron will show up in that. Look at you miss thang! 53 lbs! You are rockin'! We need to get together, I bet you look soo different even from a month ago!
Christine Hood
on 2/15/06 5:23 am - Fort Eustis, VA
Court's right, steak cravings are usually a result of low iron. I am anemic and can always tell when my iron levels are low because I begin to crave red meat (especially rare). Normally I don't even like rare meat and it makes me ill!
lawoman
on 2/15/06 6:27 am - Hellertown, PA
I am sure you are talking about steak, yea right?!?! LOL just kidding. I have heard that when u have cravings like that its usually low iron. What time is your appt tomorrow? Maybe I can meet ya in Philly for lunch or something?? Let me know! Take care LA
Betsy Anitahug
on 2/15/06 10:30 am - Danville, VA
Since my surgery, I too am craving steak...can hardly afford it but when it is on sale...I buy. I just had my blood work done and my iron was fine...maybe it just isn't showing up yet. Hugs, Betsy
David@Goal
on 2/15/06 12:01 pm - VA
Damn - I was gonna say I got your meat right here- but it's more pink than red..... so - when you gonna tell me about your weekend last week? OR you want I should just make it up in my mind? David
(deactivated member)
on 2/16/06 8:01 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
G'morning Lacey ~ Are you taking any type of an IRON supplement? It's so so SO important that you do, if you're not already. Or that you have that specifically checked into with the next labs. One of the most difficult things to build back up after it begins to drop, is your IRON Levels. It's soooooooo IMPORTANT that you jump on that NOW, if it is an issue. With our new plumbing, even the low side of normal is a huge warning sign. To wait till it drops to the LOW stages is risky and "can" require transfusions to bring it up to par. Still, with NO guarantees that it will. I have several friends who've had the RNY surgery, within the last 3 to 4 years who are dealing with Iron Deficiencies. This is even after popping IRON pills and several iron transfusions in the last year or so. When I see or hear about iron (anemic) issues in a gastric bypass patient, I tend to err on the side of 'scared chitless'. We're just not the same normal fuzzy peeps we were before the replumbing. Please make sure to get your iron levels checked out and if you're not on an IRON Supp, maybe the doc will want to get you on one? Iron deficiencies are more prominent in younger females like yourself, vs, old farts like me, fixin' to go through menopause - specifically because of menstruation. Absolutely, ENJOY that steak, but you may also need additional (long term) supplementation? I take a Prenatal every single day and have since surgery 3+ years ago. I also take a TRINSICION (Iron pill) every other day. I used to take my Trinsicon daily, during the earlier years when I absorbed less - now, it's every other day with close monitoring via my labs. Good luck to you - let us know what the doc and labs say. Hugs - Lei ..btw, your heading made me laugh. That used to be part of the GIRLFRIENDS chant ["Gimme the Meat"!!] ...in my MUCH younger partying days. Yah yah yah, I know, "sooooooooo classy, Lei"! Anyway, me and 4 ladies in Oklahoma, about 20 years ago, all single and babe-alicious-wannabe's, determined to party harder that weekend vs the last. Unfortunately, the "Gimme the meat" was often followed by "Uh.... so where's the beef?".
shoutjoy
on 2/16/06 10:13 pm - Culpeper, VA
You may want to get your iron levels checked. Paula
LB
on 2/17/06 3:45 am - Northern, VA
Hey, guys! Thanks for your help. Turns out my Iron and B-12 levels are normal, but on the low side. My doc suggested I add those vitamins to my daily routine. Glad I had that appointment lined up. Thanks!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views