What to expect?

Julie R.
on 2/14/06 11:27 pm - Belspring, VA
With my surgery right around the corner on Monday, I was hoping that some of you could tell me what to expect right after surgery. I have NEVER had a surgical procedure, I haven't even broken a bone before, so I am a bit nervous in that respect. Are there going to be any surprises during prep or when I wake up? Will I even care? Any feedback you may have about the hosiptal stay for someone like me (presently surgery free), would be appreciated Thanks! Julie
Carole V.
on 2/14/06 11:52 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
Hi Julie, Other than an out-patient lap gall bladder removal, I was surgery-free too. I knew from the gall bladder thing that if I had wls lap, I would have a much easier time recovering. This "what to expect" thing is so variable, depending on your own health, your surgeon, your hospital, even what nurses are on staff when you are in the hospital. But my experience was: when I got to the hospital, they sent me to a room where I changed into my lovely hospital gown, climbed into bed, and waited. My sister was allowed to wait with me until they wheeled me up to pre-op. There, I waited some more, was hooked up to an IV, and just observed the docs and nurses rushing around, yakking and taking care of things. I was comforted by their 'business as usual" attitude, so I relaxed. LOL it helped that they gave me something in the IV. The nurses checked and double checked my stats, the anesthesiologist asked some questions, the surgeon sent word to apologize for the lateness but the first surgery had gone a little long. I sent word to my sister not to worry about the long wait. Then they wheeled me into a bright, cold room, stretched my arms out, and I don't remember anything else till I woke up in recovery, feeling no pain but colder than I had ever been in my life. Nurses covered me with warmed blankets that felt like heaven and I drifted off again. Woke up again in my room, with booties on my legs that kept inflating and deflating, a morphine pump (that I didn't like using, hate the way morphine makes me feel), and my sister by my side. The rest of my stay, I gradually felt better every hour. I was way thirsty but only had swabs for my mouth until after my leak test. THAT was some nasty tasting stuff, but I kept it down and then they let me have water. When they took out the catheter, I had to climb out of bed to go to the bathroom, which was kinda hard the first couple of times but got easier as time went on. The first night I spiked a temp and my blood pressure went way up, but they gave me some meds and soon I was OK again. Second day I was walking the halls and ready to go home, which I did the next day. Two nights in a hospital bed were plenty for me! I only hope you have as easy a time as I did. Good luck to you. Carole
Julie R.
on 2/15/06 12:18 am - Belspring, VA
Thanks Carole! I know that everyone is different, but the info you provided was what I am looking for. Be ready to be cold I forgot to mention that it will be done lap (baring any unforseen problems), and it will be at Roanoke Memorial Hospital w/Dr. Lucktong. My mom, who is a RN at a different hospital will by staying with me once she & my husband are allowed to join me. She even said that she would stay overnight to make sure I am taken care of if need be. She is so sweet!!!
Kimds
on 2/15/06 2:31 am - Roanoke, VA
Julie, I had surgery with Dr. Lucktong at RMH in October. Everything Carol said in her first paragraph was the same way mine went with the exclusion of not liking the Morphine pump... it was my best friend for 2.5 days (I was in surgery for 6+ hours for lap. and have 7 incisions so I was extra sore). I did not have a leak test and they let me sip water, tea, popsicles etc the day after surgery. You are in EXCELLENT hands Dr. Lucktong is wonderful, he took a few extra hours on me so that my surgery would not have to be open. My stay at RMH was good they have a great nursing staff. You will be in my thoughts Monday and I hope you have an successful surgery and recovery. Kim -92 lbs.
Julie R.
on 2/15/06 3:21 am - Belspring, VA
Thanks Kim! I have heard from several people that he is wonderful; that's one reason I accepted the wait for my initial consult. I still enjoy hearing his praise though. I'm also glad to hear about the hospital staff; maybe my mom will stay in the hotel I have reserved for her. Personally, I wouldn't want to stay in a hospital unless I was the person hospitalized.
Betsy Anitahug
on 2/15/06 3:18 am - Danville, VA
Hi Julie...I was in wonderful hands at Roanoke Memorial with Dr. White and Dr. Lucktong assisted. I had to have open because of previous surgeries and alot of scar tissue. They spent 1 1/2 just clearing the scar tissue off of my liver then proceeded with the GBP. The staff at the hospital was wonderful. Please make sure you get up as soon as you can and walk down the hall. It will really ease the soreness. Since I had open versus the lap...I was in pain for a few days but the pump was a life saver. Getting up was the hardest thing but at the hospital they have these wonderful beds that put you in a chair position which makes it so easy to get up. I was very lucky and had a private room and I haven't figured out how that happened. Anyway, Monday is just around the corner and soon it will be all over and you will soon reap the benefits of this wonderful tool. I am thrilled with the results so far. Of course, I am older and I think it will come off slower but who knows? I am just happy to have been able to finally have the surgery. I waited almost a year and it was hard but I am finally where I want to be. Healthier and much happier. Hugs, Betsy
kizie23
on 2/15/06 10:37 am - blacksburg, VA
Julie, While everything is going to go fine with your surgery, you should expect to wake in the ICU. Most likely there will be nurses in and out, and you are going to hear lots of beeping noises. You should expect to be in a small amount of pain. (nothing that pca pump will not take care of) You should expect to feel tired. Or, at least these are the things I was looking for and found when I woke up. But more importantly you should expect to be on the loosing side with us. This seat I have been saving for you is getting kinda lonely. I am very excited for you. Everything is going to be ok, just go in thinking positive thoughts. Melissa
Julie R.
on 2/15/06 10:42 pm - Belspring, VA
Melissa, Thank you! I'm trying to keep the positive thoughts flowing. Actually, I'm doing a pretty good job of it. The past couple of nights I have just stayed up watching tv until I was almost asleep before finally heading to bed. That way I don't have that lull time for my mind to get active I'm so excited about having the opportunity to start my life over again. So many years, have just passed by because I was too tired or self conscious to get involved. Thanks again for your support!!! Julie
turtlegirl
on 2/16/06 12:50 am - In the middle of the woods, VA
Julie... Just take your pain meds as often as you're allowed - that will help you through the pain (especially first-time surgery - it can be quite a shock to feel so much pain!)... and it will help you get up and walk and do what you're supposed to do! The nurses will marvel and you'll feel like a million bucks! I also take personal things with me to the hospital because they give me extra security - like pictures of family, a stuffed animal or two, my own slippers, jammies, undies, etc. I like having my own things around me! I'll be thinking of you, Crystal
Julie R.
on 2/16/06 2:40 am - Belspring, VA
Thank you Crystal! I was thinking about bringing pictures of my animals. Of course that would probably fill up the room I'm like that too; I like having my own stuff. Most likely I will over pack; oh well! I figure it is better to have too much than too little. Julie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views