an updatefrom "pep talk please 2/9"

(deactivated member)
on 2/14/06 3:24 am - Remington, VA
for those *****ad about my troubles because of being labeled an emotional eater....I humbly must say it's my fault. I've been in contact with my dietitian(I belive in going straight to the source of any problem). I called myself an emotional eater. Dana, I think it was you who'd said something about being honest and it turning on us!!! BINGO! Anyway. I told my dietitioan that over the past several months I have found other ways of coping, rather then turning to food. I also spoke greatly on my decision and how passionately I feel about having this surgery. We are our own advocates! She wrote up a report and faxed it over to my surgeon's office. Course the real pain comes when I call to see if they've(my surgeon's offc) received it and come to find out they (Tricare) definitely want me psych evaled. So markt he dietitian's note up to another ball in my court. My psychologist has gotten me in sooner then original, from the 28th to the 16th. So things are moving along again. Please pray that I'm not crazy!! Or at least that they find me sane enough to have surgery!
Betsy Anitahug
on 2/14/06 3:51 am - Danville, VA
Kirsten....If we all were honest with ourselves, we are all emotional eaters...that is nothing to be ashamed of. I find food as an easy out (temporarily) from every emotion from anger, lonliness, hurt or just plan bored..beleive me I know. Since surgery I have been on an emotional rollercoaster and it has been hard not to turn to my friend (food). You are not crazy, not at all. I am so proud that you are trying to deal with it by getting the surgery. Please don't be so hard on yourself...we have all been there. Just another stumbling block to step over. You will get there. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs, Betsy
Chyanne2u
on 2/14/06 4:12 am - Kings Mountain, NC
Hey Kirsten, I really do sympathize with you and your plight to get an approval. If everyone here were honest with themselves, they would admit that at one point or an other they have found themselves to be an emotional eater. Food has always been comfort. How do we love our kids, husbands, mothers & fathers, & all other family members we care about. We cook for them, or take them goodies, When someone is sick, what is the first thing you think about getting them..........? FOOD!! A nice hot bowl of soup will make you feel better. A decedant dessert or even just a cookie will make the boo boo go away. So see it's not your fault or mine that we are emotional eaters. We have been groomed that way. Food means Love and visa versa. Everyone wants or should I say NEEDS to feel loved. It is the strongest emotional need of all. If we could reprogram ourselves to look at food differently then we would not need this tool (WLS). I believe that with this surgery comes the new beginning. A new life where food does not have to consume our every thought. Heck, we will be to busy trying to get in all the vitamins & protein not to mention our water. And of course we have to protect our new little friend (pouchy). For me I am looking forward to feeling full with just a little bit of food. I think that from years of overeating I have stretched my stomach into a huge container that will hold way too much food. Thus causing me to over eat just to fill full. Keep the faith and I will hold you up in my prayers that you will pass your psychriatic exam with flying colors. I had to do that months ago and I passed without a problem and she recommended me for the surgery yet I am still waiting. This July will be a year since my first consultation with a surgeon. Lots of Love Kathy
Julie R.
on 2/14/06 5:00 am - Belspring, VA
Kirsten, I'm glad that you made it past your nutritionist battle. The majority of people have to go through with the psyc visit, so your not alone. It really had me worried, but ended up not to be a big deal. I was upfront with my reasoning for the surgery and tried to get my thoughts together beforehand. He wanted to make sure that I was aware of the emotional strain that I'll face and that I have a good support system behind me (parents, husband, friends). He also warned me about how the weight loss can strain and even end some relationships. He went on to tell me not to feel embarrased if I do need some counseling (including marriage) after the surgery to deal with the changes. I actually loosened up and talked and talked (he had to stop me from time to time so he could keep up). Even with my rambling he still sent over the recommendation for surgery to my doctor's office. Long story short...don't fret over it. Make sure you know who your support system is and how you will handle stress once food is not an option. Also know why you want this surgery and have confidence in yourself and your decision!!! You will do GREAT Best wishes & let us know how it goes! Julie
hollydecarlo
on 2/14/06 7:04 am - hopewell, VA
kristen we are all emotional eaters there is nothing to be ashamed of. you are sane we all go though this. its jsut another step in the road to a wonderful new you. hang in there sweety you will be having your surgery in no time at all. smile and god bless, holly
Ernurse323
on 2/14/06 11:30 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!! You go girl. Hugs, Dana
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views