Happy Valentine's Day

cathya
on 2/13/06 12:38 am - Orlando, FL
I thought this article was great -- Thanks to all of you for being in my huddle. I couldn't make it without you. Cathy ~~~~~~~~~~ Lately I've been thinking about how WLS people are not that much different from Antarctica's emperor penguins. Have you seen the beautiful movie March of the Penguins? Narrated by Morgan Freeman it is a story of love, perseverance, commitment, survival and triumph in the harshest conditions of nature and environment. The story begins with the penguins leaving their home in the sea to travel inland where the ice is thicker. The narrator states, "Technically the emperor penguin is a bird although one who makes his home in the sea. He will leave the comfort of his own home and embark on a remarkable journey. He will travel a great distance and though he is a bird he will not fly. Though he lives in the sea he will not swim. Mostly he will walk. But he will not walk alone." The penguins are traveling to the thic**** to meet a partner and produce offspring. It is impossible not to draw a parallel with the WLS community because we, by having surgery, are doing something that is counter- intuitive to everything we know. We are making a remarkable journey against the odds of our genetic nature and we are traveling in a harsh unforgiving environment. But we need not walk alone. Like the penguins that go against the odds, "perhaps we are just stubborn." As the story of the penguins continues we learn their survival is in the group as they huddle together to become a united and cooperative team. The narrator describes, "As winter descends the tribe's only defense against the freezing cold is the group itself. The huddled animals form a single moving mass; one designed for the sole purpose of sustaining warmth." Like the penguins we, the WLS tribe, must sustain warmth and protection from our own harsh environment by becoming a huddled mass designed to sustain life and enable not just survival but success as we fight for our health in this unforgiving environment. So often I receive letters from people who tell me they feel all alone in their journey after WLS. At one time I too felt alone without friend or traveling companion. Like the penguin, traveling this journey alone is risky, we need our huddled mass to survive. Of the solo penguin the narrator says, "The lone penguin has no chance against winter's cold. He will simply fade away absolved by the great whiteness around him." We cannot let our fellow WLS neighbors simply fade away. Ours, like the penguins, can be a story of love, perseverance, commitment, survival and triumph in the harshest conditions of nature and environment. I personally have been overwhelmed by the show of love and kindness to me from so many of you. I appreciate you all and welcome you to my huddled mass. Happy Valentine's Day! Kaye
Sharon Q.
on 2/13/06 12:44 am - Fredericksburg, VA
That was an awesome analogy!! Funny, how I just rented that movie to watch with the kids last night. Makes a lot of sense, how we all huddle together with so much support and love. Hope everybody has the best Valentines day ever!!! Lotsa Love!! Sharon
Julie R.
on 2/13/06 1:58 am - Belspring, VA
What a great comparison! I have been meaning to check out the movie; maybe I will get to do it this week. Thanks for the post! Julie
Betsy Anitahug
on 2/13/06 3:34 am - Danville, VA
Awww...that was so perfect. I know that without my huddle (my angels) I don't where I would have been in the journey. I am so thankful for all of you who have huddled around me and made me feel safe and loved. Without that I would have been so lost. So lost, I can't begin to tell you. You gave me strength, love and so much understanding. For that I am so grateful. I love you all and have a wonderful best ever valentines day. Love and hugs coming to you all. Betsy
cappymoon
on 2/13/06 9:14 am - Northern, VA
I love that!! Thanks for posting this It does sound like our journey, what a compairson. I have wanted to rent that movie, but everyone in the house balked at it. I will wait till the hubby is gone, and I am gonna get it Dianna
TammyNVA
on 2/13/06 6:43 pm - Chesterfield, VA
Kaye, Thanks for putting that so eloquently! I haven't see the movie yet, but have heard great things about it. May have to rent that this weekend. Hugs, Tammy
(deactivated member)
on 2/13/06 8:05 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
G'morning Cathy - Loved the article you shared and Ive cut and pasted it to a word doc - to print later. Oh, and I LOVED THE MOVIE too!!! Thanks to Donna Mae, who told me about 9 months ago (or so), that it was an "awesome move, go watch it, etc" .... Paul and I finally got off our butts and watched it over Christmas. Actually, we bought the DVD, so we can watch it whenever we want. Yep, all of you are right - great movie, great theme/message and great article (above). Hope your day is full of LOVE and smiles! Lei
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views