How long is Average Hospital stay?

beth-d
on 2/12/06 1:05 pm - Richmond, VA
Hey everyone I am having the surgery on the 23rd and wanted to know the average hospital stay - can anyone tell me? I am also starting to get nervous and hope that everything will go ok! I need this so much!
wanda
on 2/12/06 3:11 pm
Hi Beth! Congrats on your upcoming surgery. Dr. Martin also did my surgery and think she's just wonderful. I'm assuming you're going to have laproscopic RNY since Dr. Martin is your surgeon. In most cases, for lap RNY, you're in the hospital for a minimum of 2 nights. Of course many things can impact the length of the stay, so some are there longer. Each person and each surgery is unique, but often people go home after two nights and successfully passing the upper GI. Best wishes to you and let me know how you're doing! Hugs, Wanda
Pat F.
on 2/12/06 6:09 pm - Richmond, VA
Beth, congrats on your surgery.It is normal to be nervous do not worry everything will be ok. the stay is about 2 nights barrowing no prolblems. You will be on the lossing side real soon.
TammyNVA
on 2/12/06 6:21 pm - Chesterfield, VA
Hi Beth, I had Dr. Martin for my surgery. I was in the hospital 3 nights... the extra night was because of some problems with my shoulder. I'm sure everything will be fine. Just be as prepared as possible and you'll feel better. Also, you won't need much of your own stuff in the hospital. I used my own toothbrush/toothpaste (although they had some there) deodorant, face wash, slippers, and wore the same thing home that I wore there... just wear something loose and comfy. Everything else in my bag stayed there. Hugs, Tammy
(deactivated member)
on 2/12/06 7:41 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Hello Beth ~ How LONG you stay will be based on two things - the TYPE of surgery you're having, open or lap, and of course - any complications. I had an OPEN (RNY) with no complications and was in the hospital for 4 days. A friend of mine that had the RNY surgery done LAP w/no complications, during the same week was home in 2 days. Good luck to you - Lei
Betsy Anitahug
on 2/12/06 10:17 pm - Danville, VA
Good morning, Beth....I had my surgery open and was in for 5 days....the laps are normally a two day stay. I know you are nervous but this is so normal. Just try to stay busy and the time will fly by. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers...we have all been there and you will do just fine. Lots of angels on this board and we are right there with you. Hugs, Betsy
Kitty Kat
on 2/13/06 12:28 am - Richmond, VA
Hey girl! Well, I was there for 4 days well almost cause I had some issues with sugar and bp. I'll be there the day of and will come see you each day! Nervous huh? Well, yeah duh! LOL! You ARE getting this no needing to it. I'm SO excited! Love ya, Kat
Kathleen L.
on 2/13/06 8:33 am - Arlington, VA
Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. I was in the hospital from a Tuesday to Thursday.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views