what do I say?

ahllrd
on 2/9/06 2:26 am - VA
I have a appt next wed with my PCP to discuss the wls I know she is totally against it so how do I convince her to let me get it done I called Dr Schriver (sp) in charlottsville and he said I need a referall to get it done. I weight 216 and am 5'1 and have hypothyroidism, joint pain,in hips and knees insomnia and depression. Any suggestions I called my ins and they said they would cover the surg if I can have it approved so if she dont let me do it I will be very upset.
(deactivated member)
on 2/9/06 4:06 am - Virginia Beach, VA
I agree, don't take no for an answer. Also, call your ins and find out if they require 6 mos of a supervised diet so you can start on that. I just found out that's what I need. Ask if they need any documentation on the diets you have tried and if you have a gym membership get proof of that. Document everything. This is the second time I have started this. Keep going forward. Corinn
Ernurse323
on 2/9/06 4:12 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Make sure that you tell her that you have tried every other route and that you would at least like to DISCUSS your situation with a WLS. You /we have rights as patients. Follow the chain of command there and go up the ladder if you are not getting what you feel your health needs. : - ) Dana
Chyanne2u
on 2/9/06 5:20 am - Kings Mountain, NC
Hey there, I had that samething happen to me. I tried to talk to my PCP several times about WLS and she would only put her hand up and tell me that she WOULD NOT discuss it with me. If I wanted to loss weight to go on a diet and exercise and do it the old fashion way. Did I mention that my doctor was/is extremely overweight...to the point she is now wheelchair bound? I thought to myself, if it was that easy I wouldn't be like this to start with. Anyway, after about a year of her dismissing me, I changed Dr's and on my first appointment with my new & improve doc...she ask me if I had any health concerns and I responded with this....I think I would be a healthy woman if I wasn't so overweight. At that one comment, she ask if I had time to stay and let her talk to me further on the subject. She went out to finish up with another patient and when she came back in she ask me point blank if I had ever considered WLS. I knew then this was for me. She set the apt. with a surgeon which I changed after the first visit. I am now Dr. Hutcher's patient and can't wait to actually meet this man. I have heard so many good things about him. You really need to seach out a doctor that will take your "whole health" into consideration. Some people are just totally against WLS...usually it's someone that's really skinny and would never need it or it's someone who is obese and is scared of it. Either way I think it's like sticking your head in the sand. I want every possible tool to help me regain my life. I wish you all the best in your search and your journey. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. Lots of Love Kathy
Kathy & Rich
on 2/9/06 7:43 am - Fairfax, VA
I would give it a try and if she cannot be convinced would it be possible for you to find another PCP? Good luck to you! Kathy
ahllrd
on 2/9/06 7:54 am - VA
I did not know you could change PCP's like that and get a refferal without seeing the same one for awhile I have been seeing her since I was prob 12 and I am 27 now. Anyone ever got to go to see a wls without a refferal from your PCP and do yall know any other good DR's that you could recommend to me I live in Luray so northern va or charlottsville is the closest places for me to go I prefer cville since I know my way around and do yall think 216 is a high enough weight to seek this kind of surg I have tried everything and nothing works and I am just so tierd of being FAT. Thanks everyone.
turtlegirl
on 2/9/06 8:28 am - In the middle of the woods, VA
I think for your height, your weight will probably be high enough... especially if you have any health problems in addition - what is your BMI? That is often the deciding factor. I am 5'2 1/2 and was 245 when I had the surgery, which was SO.... much on my small frame. Also, this should be YOUR decision, not your PCP. If she/he will not agree, please change doctors. This is about your life and not someone's personal feelings about the surgery. Dr. Schirmer in Charlottesville is fantastic. Crystal
elizabethc03
on 2/9/06 12:38 pm - Cypress, TX
I say to go in with tons of information for your doc. From what I've seen so far not many PCP's know much about the actual procedure and have many misconceptions about it. Also don't let yourself get too upset if you get a no off the bat. Talking it out calmly and rationally will get you farther than getting upset (although I know how hard that'll be, believe me). And if you get a final no I would definately shop around for a new doc who is more sympathetic to your needs. Best of luck! Liz --RNY 12-28-05, down 35 lbs.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views