Excess Skin Burn unit

prissy25
on 2/7/06 10:48 am - Barboursville, VA
Someone ask me to post this question out to you all, they were told that if you get a Burn Unit to take your excess skin they will help pay for surgery. Has anyone heard of that here in VA?
MrsTonyaBrown
on 2/7/06 11:49 am - Jacksonville, FL
It's a fib, Melinda. The skin of people who have lost a lot of weight has lost it's elasticity and is therefore useless for burn patients. Any and all burn unit drs will tell you that this is merely a myth started by God knows who. Hugs, Tonya
(deactivated member)
on 2/7/06 8:01 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Yep - what Tonya said, it's a MYTH! (unfortunately) ...'cause I had a ton'a skin I coulda donated with the 4 operations Ive been through.
Lelandmm
on 2/9/06 11:21 pm - Chesapeake, VA
My in-laws are probably one of the guilty parties for contributing to that Urban Legend. My husband's uncle had a GB when he was around 598lbs. After he got down to around 300 or so, he had a skin removal (not a tummy tuck or anything, just exccess skin gone) His mom (my husband's grandmother) paid for it. She didn't want the family to know that she had spent $25,000 of their inheritance on having his excess skin removed, so she told everyone his excess skin was taken by a burn unit for temporary grafts for patients. The crazy thing is, my mother in law has asked me when I am going to "donate my skin" to a burn unit. I just replied "as soon as I can find one to take it!". I'll never tell her the truth, because it will just make her even madder knowing how much money was spent on the skin removal, and then the LIES about it. Leland
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views