ANOTHER PROTEIN PROBLEM!

cheryl_jagow
on 2/7/06 1:39 am - CHESAPEAKE, VA
I TRIED THE NECTAR TEA THIS WEEKEND. I COULDN'T EVEN TAKE two SIPS OF IT. I AM PRE-OP. IM TRYING TO FIND SOMETHING THAT WILL WORK WITH ME FOR WHEN IM POST OP (FEB 22ND) I CANT FIND A PROTEIN DRINK/POWDER I CAN GET DOWN WITH OUT GAGGING AND MAKING ME WANT TO THROW UP! I HAVE TESTED SOOOO MANY OF THEM. I CAN ALWAYS SEEM TO TASTE THAT "VITAMIN/PROTEIN " TASTE. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. MY DATE IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER! THE PRE MIXED SHAKES AND THE PROTEIN POWDER I JUST DO THINK I CAN GET THEM DOWN. I KNOW THAT'S BAD. IM SURE SOMEONE OUT THERE WILL FLAME AT ME. I HAVE RECEIVED A LOT OF SAMPLES IN THE MAIL OF DIFFERENT POWDERS. MIXING THEM WITH DIFFERENT THINGS. I HAVE TRIED THEM AND END UP GAGGING. WHEN IM IN THE LIQUID STAGE THERE REALLY ISN'T MUCH (FOOD OPTIONS) OUT THERE AS PROTEIN INTAKE I CAN HAVE IS THERE? I JUST DON'T KNOW. I HAVE ALSO HEARD ABOUT THE "SHOTS" THEY ARE REALLY EXPENSIVE.
** Judy **
on 2/7/06 2:03 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Have you tried Designer Whey Chocolate. I buy it from the Vitamin Shoppe. I have tried many, many protein powders and it is by far the best!! Judy 280/158/???
MrsTonyaBrown
on 2/7/06 2:47 am - Jacksonville, FL
Have you tried the Unjury unflavored powder? I mix it into mashed potatoes, jello pudding, chicken salad, crab salad, Carnation Instant Breakfast, etc. I don't taste it at all. Hugs, Tonya
Carole V.
on 2/7/06 3:59 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Cheryl, If you've tried them all and they all taste bad, then the best you can do is think of the shakes as medicine. Hold your nose and swallow. Your taste will very probably change after surgery so anything you find now that you like might be too sweet or too something for you after. I applaud your attempts to find something you can tolerate, but really a lot of times it's just a crap shoot as to what tastes decent after surgery. Don't let the doom sayers scare you, some people do very well after surgery without any protein shakes at all. They just have to be very careful to get in enough protein through solid food, to chew everything till it is mush, then chew some more. I use the Dymatize Elite Whey protein, mixed with skim milk and sugar-free flavorings like vanilla or caramel in a blender. It's not mmmmmmm yummy (no protein powder is) but I can certainly tolerate it when I feel like I need more protein (which is not often at almost 3 years postop). Good luck, Carole
Lelandmm
on 2/7/06 4:06 am - Chesapeake, VA
I should have started tasting protein pre-op. I REALLY honestly though the shakes would taste like Slim Fast. How many times have Idone Slim Fast? I figured it would have a slightly funny taste and thats it. WRONG! Even though it is WAY more expensive, the only way I can get any of them down, is to drinkt hem pre-made in a can or cardboard container. There is only a SMALL hole and I can't smell it! Muscle Milk is good, but it is REALLY sweet. It might taste OK now, but as a newly post op, it will probably be WAY too sweet for you. There are also some Atkins diet Shakes that are like Slim Fast, but they have 20 grams of protein. The problem is, they have more fat and sugar than a newly post op can typically tolerate. I don't know if there is one near you, but the Vitamin Shoppe will take back things you don't like. I would suggest trying single cans of things before buying a mix. Every mix I've ever had has been NASTY! Good Luck! This is one of the hardest things. Trust me once you get all situated and think you have found something you like, your tastes will change and you will want something else. Luckily now, as 18 months post op, I get enough from food and I dont have to stress over supplements. I do them only on days when I am working out. Leland
cathya
on 2/7/06 4:35 am - Orlando, FL
No one will flame you. It is hard and a quest we have all been through. Remember though that surprisingly you may like some of them after surgery. For some reason sometimes your tastebuds can change after WLS. Things you love now you may not tolerate after. Strange, but true. I fnd that most protein powders are too sweet or thick so I add more liquid than called for and it helps as the taste is lighter. Also I find that decaf instant coffee will cover up the taste of anything. I sometimes add that. Have you tried Profect? I really like that and it is only 3 oz so not so much to drink. If you don't find want you love, then pick the one you hate the least and start with that. Can you add something to it that would make the taste better for you i.e., coffee, sugar free crystal light, cinnamon, etc. Good luck in your search, Cathy
A10sFrau
on 2/7/06 5:45 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
I agree with the 'take it like medicine' opinion. If you can't take protein you will get sick in some way. I wouldn't have the surgery if I couldn't take some kind of protein. Don't endanger you life like that. Good luck, Lois
jbyrd72
on 2/7/06 7:45 am - Fishersville, VA
Cheryl: Try Isopure Zerocarb drinks. They taste like strong Kool-aid and come in a variety of flavors. They are made by Nature's Best. I found mine at my local fitness center but I do believe GNC may carry them or search on line for them. They have no sugar but 40 grams of protein. Hope this helps. Jeff Byrd
(deactivated member)
on 2/7/06 8:58 am
There is a website that sells liquid protein that you can mix in your drinks. I received this information from Kasier Permanente Gastric Bypass Class. Go to www.llorenspharm.com and the name of the drink is Proteninex. Please try and let me know how you like it.
savvygl
on 2/7/06 10:50 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 09/29/04 with
I never found a protein that I liked. And I tried at least 50 different types of shakes, powders, mixes, etc. I mixed with milk, flat soda, juice, crystal light...all yucko! But basically I just grinned and beared it, realizing that I had to drink the stuff until I could eat enough protein. I have had no issues with my protein intake, but I have been able to do milk like no one's business and skim milk is my friend. I also make meat and protein my priority when I eat anything. Just find the best thing you can and drink it. I know that probably doesn't really help, but just know that everyone has trouble finding a shake that doesn't smell funky and make them gag!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views