Post op incision and surrounding area pains??

Iamspoi1ed
on 2/4/06 11:25 am - Roanoke, VA
Hey everyone....I was just wondering if any of you who had an open RNY had any problems in the first few weeks post op with pain around your incision? Mine has started to hurt like crazy and when I called the doc on call she said that it seemed like nothing to worry about. She said that it was most likely my body trying to disolve the internal stitches. All I know is that it hurts!! Anyone else have this problem??? Heat is helping some but I feel like someone run over my rib area with a truck! Thanks! Mary
nitengale
on 2/4/06 6:11 pm - Leesburg, VA
RNY on 09/14/04 with
My rib cage hurt like crazy too ...to the point that I couldn't even sit back in a chair, had to sleep sitting up... that truck gets around. My incision felt like I had pins sticking me on the inside. Definitely stitches dissolving...even had really hard areas...about the size of a pea for about 2 mos post op that were the stitches doing their thing. I would avoid applying heat...if it is something else, you can cause the infection "to draw" to your surgical area. The heat causes vasodilation and that could worsen your pain but the increased volume of blood flow in the area. I would recommend a cool pak (not cold) 20 mins on 20mins off...the cool is a natural anesthetizer and should help with your discomfort. Watch for any redness, warmth or drainage around your incision. Ck your temp in the afternoon (if you're gonna have one the most often time is in the afternoon) Call the doc for anything over 100. Also monitor for hardness around your incision. This could be a sign of cellulitis and you will really feel like you have been hit by a truck...a BIG truck... Feel better soon, Wanda
MrsTonyaBrown
on 2/4/06 6:15 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Mary, I had the lap, not open, but I also had a feeding tube installed while I was in the hospital and it pretty much felt like that for several weeks after I got home. Then, once the other wounds had healed over, the area around the feeding tube was trying to heal around the tube, but every time I moved, it would break away from the skin and hurt like hades again. It is pretty normal. You just also have to remember not to extend that area too much. They say to walk, walk, walk, to exercise that area and loosen the tightness there, but no bending or stretching and don't walk more than you can handle. Did that once and thank God hubby was with me so he could run back and get the car or I'd have never made it home again. Take it easy, take your pain meds sparingly and do NOT bend or stretch too much. Did that too and ripped open two of my incisions. Took those suckers 6 weeks to heal because I thought I was superwoman. Hugs and good luck, Tonya 405/379/275/180 (highest/surgery/current/goal) -130 from highest -104 from surgery
Chyanne2u
on 2/4/06 11:57 pm - Kings Mountain, NC
Hey Mary, I am pre-op so I don't know anything at all about the pain involved. I am writing only to let you know that you are in my prayers and thoughts and I will pray for you to have a speedy recovery pain free. I know that pain is not any fun and can cause distress. Just stay calm and allow your body to heal. Remember, even if you are healed on the outside there is a lot of healing going on inside. If it gets unbearable I would call tomorrow and talk to Barbara Kayes. She may be able to give you advice since she deals primarily with Dr. Hutchers patients. Sending my love and prayers. Kathy
TammyNVA
on 2/5/06 4:36 am - Chesterfield, VA
Hey Mary I also had LAP, not open (have had 5 other open tummy operations though) and stuff can hurt or feel weird at different times. I had a drain hole that hurt for weeks after all my other incision sites were healed and fine. Just keep an eye on it for infection! Tammy
kizie23
on 2/5/06 5:33 am - blacksburg, VA
Mary, I did not have open mine was done lap. I did however get this really bad burning feeling shortly after surgery. I called my surgeon and was told that it was OK. The burning was scar tissue and it was healing and re-tearing. He also said that it was what he wanted to happen. Did not understand that one, but it only lasted for a few days then it was over. I don't know if that was helpful or not, I just thought I would share. Melissa
Iamspoi1ed
on 2/6/06 2:29 am - Roanoke, VA
Thanks you guys!! It always overwhelms me...the replies I get from my posts when I have a problem! It is so good to know that I am not alone in this. I called Barbara this morning since I havent heard back from the doc on call this weekend..she is calling me in some pain meds and I hope I can at least get a little comfortable. My husband went back to work today so I have to watch our 2 year old and it would be nice to be able to get up and get her a drink without sounding (and feeling) like I am falling apart. Anyway, thanks again!!! *Hugs* Mary
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views