PS Questions

Jo R.
on 2/4/06 9:45 am - Blackstone, VA
I am having PS done in 2 weeks (2/17) in Richmond. I am having a hernia repair,gallbladder removed and TT. How long can I expect to be down? I know everyone is different but Im just looking for a general idea. I forgot to ask the Dr. if I could shower, I have read where some could and some were advised not to. Is that the usual practice? By the way, Im 41, so Im not dead but not a spring chicken either lol. Also...any tips or advice is VERY welcomed!!!!!!! Thanks in advance!
WendyNVA
on 2/4/06 7:20 pm - Va Beach, VA
Hey Jo, Congrats on your upcoming surgical plans! I had my gallbladder removed during RNY, but during my TT, I had massive hernia repairs, and also did my thigh lift and mons resectioning. It was rough for the first week. I was allowed to shower after I got home, but it was hard. My husband was with me, and put a chair in the bathtub, as I could not stand up straight. Having the drain tubes were a challenge too.. i pinned them to a robe belt that hung around my neck or just laid them on the side of the tub. I used the shower massage as it could hang down to rinse. It was exhausting and I took pain pills and fell asleep in the chair for a couple hours after I was done, but felt great to be clean. A couple weeks after I was able to stand in the shower, but it was hard. It took me a full year or more before I could lay completely flat, and still felt pulling. It was a few weeks before I could stand up straight. Just take it easy and walk as much as you can. And take all the help you can get. Best of luck Wendy
Jo R.
on 2/5/06 6:11 am - Blackstone, VA
Hi Wendy Thanks for the input! Ouch, it doesnt sound like Im going to be a happy camper. Im a full time student/Mom, but took all my classes online this time, with the price of gas who can afford anything! Also I knew I might be having surgery and thought it would be a good idea to be home. I had a real bad time with the gastric bypass, spent over two months in the hospital and over 2 weeks in ICU. ( The doctors who preformed my surgery are having lots of legal trouble now, I seem to have been one of the lucky ones but thats another story all together.) Everyone thinks Im crazy to take another "wack" at it so to speak lol. I am a little scared and have asked many questions, and feel that the doctors this time are very good. But Im worried about my studies (keeping up), and being a burden on my family since I put them all through so much before. I have a great support group of family and friends, just worried of a repete of before. Thanks for responding....means so much! ~Jo
~*Country Girl*~
on 2/5/06 7:05 am - somewhere in de Mtns!, VA
I just had surgery done in Richmond on Dec 29th. I to had a hernia repair. I had a paniculectomy with an anchor incision with extended hip reduction also. On day 3 I felt pretty good. I got up and cleaned and vacuumed, folded clothes. That night I was hurting bad!! So regardless of feeling good you feel take it easy. Due to hernia repair I am still not allowed to lift over 10 pounds for 8 weeks. My Dr said as long as my drains are in I am not to shower! I couldn't stand it and so I decided if these drains were in for awhile i was going to have a decent shower at least once a week and i did. I didn't mess up anything and i told him I did so. He didn't seem to upset. I was more achy then hurting. I had a pain pump that was wonderful at keeping me numb! Hubby helped me to sit up and things so I wouldn't pull anything. Kinda weird, hard to get up but after I was up I was fine!! While laying I kept my back up and my knees up. Kinda keeping me bent. Anything else just shoot me an email.
Jo R.
on 2/5/06 8:06 pm - Blackstone, VA
Wow ....If Im down just three days I will be tickled to death!! Im worried I wouldnt be able to function for a month or something. All I need to do is crawl over to the computer to do my work, the rest (housework) can wait....Im sure it will be here when I am up to cleaning, unless Mr.Clean shows up lol. WOW Leigh, you have done one heck of a job!!! You look beautiful!! High five and way to go!!! : ) Jo
Susan E.
on 2/5/06 11:21 am - Purcellville, VA
Jo R, Hope all goes well with your PS in a few weeks. I really want to have it done but my insurance plan will not cover it. Does yours? I spoke to a lady at work the other day who just had a TT and a little lipo on her thighs and she said it was 9000.00 dollars. whew that alot of money. Not sure if I will ever have the funds for that. Leigh Lea, I checked out your profile and what a marvelous job you have done. You look great. Thanks for sharing. SUSAN
Jo R.
on 2/5/06 8:19 pm - Blackstone, VA
My insurance is paying for the panni, hernia repair and gall bladder removal, but I am footing the bill for the muscle tighten part. Its going to run me 2700. OUCH!! But I am lucky to have a family member loan me the money and worked out a payment plan with them. It isnt right for the insurance companies to deny us, I wont go into it, but we all know that it isnt cosmetic, it is to just make us able to fuction better and mentally feel normal.........not become a centerfold. It is my understanding that it took many years for breast cancer survivers to have the insurance companys ok breast reconstruction, they felt it wasnt needed. Mental health is important to a persons wellness also!! Like there is some part of a persons body that isnt worth the $$? I could not imagine living through cancer only to be told I dont need a breast....basically just get over it! GRRRRR!! OK...stepping down off the soap box now lol. Thanks everyone for the advice...Thanks SO much!!!!!!! Jo
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views