Eating and Drinking

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/06 11:12 pm - GA
How many of you actually dont drink w/ your meals. Many mornings I eat half of a whole wheat english muffin w/ peanut butter.... How can you NOT drink something w/ this ? THere is no way I could wait to drink and hour and half after I eat.... Am I not going to be successful in the long run ? Or were they just talking about early post op ????? Puzzled & Thristy :P
~*Country Girl*~
on 2/4/06 12:11 am - somewhere in de Mtns!, VA
At 21 months out I still wait an hour before I drink. I was told if I felt the need to drink suck a chip of ice to wet my mouth. Not a cube just a chip. It works for me. I only do this when I just can't stand it any longer. So maybe handful of times a month. Personally in my mind set right now I will never drink with my meals. I am to scared I will be hungry sooner than necessary. Therefore gaining my weight back. This is my choice though. You will probably get different answers on this. It pretty much lies on how much your doctor drilled this in your head. Best of wishes! Lisa 423/171
cappymoon
on 2/4/06 12:11 am - Northern, VA
Alicia, I do not drink with my meals. I think I can count on my right hand the number of times I took a sip of something with my meal in the past 13 months. It just dosent happen. I wait for 10 minuets after my last sip to start eating, and 45 min after my last bite to start drinking again. This I have ingrained in my brain, so I do it. Course I wish alot of things have been ingrained just as well (Peanutbutter M & M's come to mind!) but no, they didnt! No one is perfect, but this one rule is important. If you cannot NOT drink when you eat that paticular food, maybe you need to try to eat something else. Hope that helps in some small way! Good luck to you! Dianna
wanda
on 2/4/06 12:21 am
I don't drink with my meals. I frequently sip on something BEFORE my meal, especially if I'm out, but I don't drink with my meal and always wait at least 20 minutes afterwards before drinking again. If I forget to wait, which I've only done a few times, I become uncomfortable from the drink. It's just become a habit for me to wait. ~Wanda
(deactivated member)
on 2/4/06 12:50 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Alicia , I had a woman at my last support group meeting say to me " I can eat anything .. and I am always hungry .. my first question to her was .. Do you drink with your meals . and her answer was yes . I knew right then what was happening . She was washing her food out of her pouch and not giving it time to process . I never .. drink with my food . I stop drinking about 20 min before and wait atleast an 40 min after . Longer term post ops need to worry about this as well . We need the food to stay with us .. It is a rule that I have followed .. and after doing it now for almost 21 months .. anything else seems out of whack . I for one can not drink with my meals .. I got something stuck once and tried sipping on some tea .. it made me sicker than all get out .. So my answer to you is no .. I do not drink and eat at the same time . The best to you . Nat
SlimminShannon
on 2/4/06 1:52 am - Richmond, VA
I cannot drink with my meals because it will make me sick. I just don't have enough room for food and liquids. I don't time it afterwords I can always tell when my pouch is ready for liquids. Usually about 30-60 minutes.
Christine Hood
on 2/4/06 3:27 am - Fort Eustis, VA
I may be wrong (I haven't had surgery yet) but what about eating less of the english muffin and adding in a bit of fruit (not sure if u can do it) but really any fruit or veg will add some water content. Hope that helps! Christine
Ms Court
on 2/4/06 4:27 am - Remington, VA
I do not drink with my meals except a sip to take my multivitamin. I stop drinking 30 minutes before my meal and wait at least 30 after before I start again. According to my nutritionist once I am farther out I will switch to 15 before and at least 30 but preferably 60 after. Courtney 9 weeks out - 47 lbs
WendyNVA
on 2/4/06 6:40 am - Va Beach, VA
Hey Alicia, I personally didn't drink with meals for the first 2 years post op.. maybe 2 1/2.. I also didn't eat bread for the first year though. If i had eaten bread with peanut butter it might have been tempting. The first year, I had to wait at least an hour, usually more like 90 minutes before trying to eat. Now that I'm further out, I've found myself drinking coffee with meals at time, and its a habit I really need to break. Cold liquids will still make me feel bad after eating though. Wendy
elizabethc03
on 2/4/06 8:57 am - Cypress, TX
If I eat something really dry (like peanut butter) I take a very small sip about 15 minutes or so afterwards just to clear my throat but otherwise I've waited at least 30 minutes. Liz
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views