back to work????

cpatters
on 2/3/06 1:36 am - Rockingham County, VA
hello! I was wondering how long did some of you stay off from work? I hear that some go back as soon as a week or 2 after. I am NOT ready for all that yet. I had lap on 1/23 and due to complications they had to go back in on 1/24 to fix a blockage. I will not get my g-tube out until my follow up visit on 2/9. I still feel weak and sore. I work in a factory. ( not a sit down day light job ) I am scared that I will HAVE to go back as soon as my tube is out. Can anyone give me some information on what happened to them? I know that the decission will come from my surgeon and my FMLA representive at work, but I would love to have a heads up from all of you.... You all are such a great help to me...... cathy
Tam
on 2/3/06 2:00 am - Richmond, VA
Cathy, I had open RNY and was scheduled to be out of work for six weeks. I had this period of time preapproved with my FMLA/STD rep at work. I developed a stricture at five weeks post op, so I was out for six and a half weeks for full days and then I went in for half days for two weeks. If you have a factory job maybe you could talk with your surgeon and ask about returning to work for half days for at least a week...maybe more than that. I highly recommend taking off at least four weeks after surgery but I think the standard is around six weeks if you have no complications. I did not have a g tube so I can not answer anything to do with that. Good luck! Tammy C 9 months out -159 lbs (and still going!)
Susan E.
on 2/3/06 3:44 am - Purcellville, VA
I went back to work 2 weeks from the day of my surgery. I had open RYN and if I had to do it over again I would stay home a min. of 3 weeks. Maybe 4 weeks. They first few days I was at work most of my co-workers, happy that I was back because they didn't have to pick up the slack anymore were eager to help me. But after 3 days that ended. And after 4 hours of being there (eah day) I really needed to lay down and take a nap.I was just fatigued and rundown. If I ever get the money together for Plastics, I gonna take 4 weeks. Susan
Julie R.
on 2/3/06 4:38 am - Belspring, VA
Cathy, Talk to your surgeon about your concerns. Provided all goes well with my lap, I will be heading back to work after 3 weeks. Another person I know who works in my organization was only out 2 weeks. I told my surgeon up front that I wanted more than 2 weeks to recooperate and he said that he would approve 3 weeks and said the longer time to recover the better. My position happens to be a desk job. I know of another lady using the same surgeon as me who must be off 6 weeks because of her factory job (she is having it done lap as well). Her company does not allow people to return with any restrictions due to the nature of her work. If your surgeon is aware of your concerns, he/she will be in a better position when making a recommendation to your FMLA rep. Best of luck! Take it easy, and I hope you feel better soon. Julie
wanda
on 2/3/06 6:39 am
Cathy, I do think it depends on the person and the surgeon. I had lap RNY and returned to work two weeks later. I really felt fine, but I typically do very well with surgery and recovery. Good luck to ya! ~Wanda
mel
on 2/3/06 6:47 am - roanoke, VA
Cathy, I work in a hospital as a nurse with lots of physical labor. I planned to return in 10 days but I was terminated while in the hospital and ended up with 4 weeks off and truely needed every one of them. Try to get more time off. You will need it to heal. This is pretty traumatic on the system. Hugs, Melannie
TammyNVA
on 2/3/06 9:24 am - Chesterfield, VA
Cathy, I was out 6 weeks... I could have gone back earlier but it was nice having that time to "mentally" adjust to the changes in eating etc. I say take all the time you can!! Tammy
yvette223
on 2/4/06 5:39 am - winchester, VA
RNY on 01/24/06 with
Hi Cathy, I actually had Lap RNY on the 24th i just went back to worth this friday, on the 3rd, but everyone is different, and also i have a desk job, i feel great, a little tired but everyday getting a littel stronger, i would suggest to take your time until you feel up to it yvette
Shanana
on 2/5/06 5:53 am - Altavista, VA
Dr Schirmer wont let you go back too early. I had surgery on Nov 9 and back to work on Dec 12. About 4 weeks off. Don't push yourself. It will be too hard to get all that paperwork all done twice. I needed the time to adjust to eating and drinking on a schedule and getting in the vitamins that I needed. Shannon
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views