Does this count??

kizie23
on 2/2/06 7:44 am - blacksburg, VA
Hey everyone, I just have a question. Today at work I spent five hours walking around wiping down tables, and cleaning floors. (Since my hours changed, I do not have a specific job) My question is will this five hours of walking, bending and stooping count for exercise?? Melissa
WendyNVA
on 2/2/06 8:55 am - Va Beach, VA
Yep, it counts. Might not be high cardio, but my theory is, if you're moving, you're exercising (I count breathing too!) Wendy
kizie23
on 2/2/06 9:14 am - blacksburg, VA
Wendy, Thank you, on the main board I was told no. But, regardless I felt so much better when I got home. My doc said anything that gets my heart pumping. And walking around all day no stop for five hours surely made my heart pump. Melissa
WendyNVA
on 2/2/06 6:40 pm - Va Beach, VA
Hey Melissa, You dont need my affirmation, you said it yourself.. You felt better when you got home. The only opinion that truly matters is your own, its all about you! When I was newly postop, I got a great cardio workout walking to the mailbox.. before surgery even standing to do dishes wore me out physically. Its all about taking steps to improve, and moving, however you do it, is great! Wendy
Sporty Jill
on 2/2/06 12:37 pm - Norfolk, VA
I'm with Wendy. You weren't sitting on your hiney all day, so why not? I count it when I walk in the mall all day shopping, and I would count it in your case, too. Now, if this becomes the norm, then I would look at little things that I count do to get my heart rate up more often. Jill 263/203/145
TammyNVA
on 2/2/06 7:31 pm - Chesterfield, VA
Melissa, I'd definitely count it. I feel like I walk MILES at work. I'm going to put on a pedometer today and SEE if it's true. Have a great Friday, and I hope you aren't overdoing it?!?! Hugs, Tammy... no longer anonymous!
(deactivated member)
on 2/2/06 8:25 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Hello Melissa! Heck Yeah it COUNTS!!!! ....when I was EARLY post-op, any walking I did, even to the ladies room or back, COUNTED for me. I clipped my "walkometer" to my hip, early in the morning, and would count every single step I made throughout the day - towards my daily goal. At 400 lbs, I truly could NOT move much and in all honesty DIDNT - then add to that open RNY surgery, It was a challenge at best. As someone else already mentioned (sorry, I skimmed the responses and didnt grab the name) ...the only thing I would suggest, is that with time, you add ADDITIONAL movement. In time, your body will become used to the activity at work and will adjust accordingly - that's when you'll need to probably bump it up a bit. Congrats - keep moving, you're doing great! Lei
Julie R.
on 2/2/06 9:30 pm - Belspring, VA
Hey Melissa! Yes, it would count. Back when I was on the Weigh****cher's point system, it even had cleaning as a way to get exercise points. I've also read many articles that say if you don't have time to go to the gym, find ways to get moving at work; looks like you have that taken care of. I'm getting tired just reading your post Julie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views