Which vitamins & minerals to take???

amyb66
on 2/1/06 4:38 am - Bolling AFB, DC
Well, I would like to get some vitamins and such on hand BEFORE surgery (haven't even had consult yet...LOL) But, which do I need to take? I was thinking a multi-vitamin, calcium, and iron...all cherwables if I can find them. Has anyone tried the bariatric advantage vitamins? They are pricy but I have read good things about them. What do you take? What brand? Thanks, Amy
A10sFrau
on 2/1/06 4:53 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
Certainly you need those things and Vit B12, but I would follow your surgeon's and nutritionist's advice. You don't need them right now, so wait until your consult. My nutritionist said not to believe the things they say about such and such vitamins being better. You get what suits you and suits your pocket book. BUT, I am sure other doctors are more specific. Just my advice, Lois
Kathy & Rich
on 2/1/06 5:34 am - Fairfax, VA
Hey, Lois! Glad to see you are doing so well post-op! Excellent! Earlier I think I posted about the calcium (Tums/Viactiv (carbonate) versus Calcium Citrate). Here is the medical reference for the calcium citrate...it is from the National Institutes of health... http://consensus.nih.gov/1994/1994OptimalCalcium097html.htm Here is the pertient passage from that article: "However, absorption of one form of calcium supplementation, calcium carbonate, is impaired in fasted individuals who have an absence of gastric acid. Absorption of calcium carbonate can be improved in these individuals when it is taken with certain food. The potential for calcium supplementation to interfere with iron absorption is an important consideration when it is ingested with meals. Alternatively, calcium supplementation in the form of calcium citrate does not require gastric acid for optimal absorption and thus could be considered in older individuals with reduced gastric acid production. In individuals with adequate gastric acid production, it is preferable to ingest calcium supplements between meals." Take care! Kathy
A10sFrau
on 2/1/06 11:37 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
I responded to this above. I have apologized for what you must consider an inappoprate post. I will not respond to anymore questions from posters about vitamins and minerals. I hope this is satisfactory. Lois
(deactivated member)
on 2/1/06 4:54 am - Virginia Beach, VA
I found some good prices at Vitamin Shoppe. You can find that on line, but we also have one here in VA Beach. I haven't had my surgery yet either but I have been looking around. I know we need a multi, b complex, b-12, calcium and I've heard people mention omega 3 fish oil(comes in pill form). Good luck. Corinn
Kathy & Rich
on 2/1/06 5:32 am - Fairfax, VA
With bypass surgery, you have reduced or eliminated absorption of fats. Fish oil often comes in an oil base and oil is a fat so therefore we probably wouldn't absorb much if any of it. The preferrable fish oil is one that is emulsified. Not sure what that process involves but one brand is Coromega. My back surgeon recommended fish oil to me because I cannot take NSAIDS as a post-op and fish oil can have a natural anti-inflammatory effect. Kathy
Kathy & Rich
on 2/1/06 5:50 am - Fairfax, VA
Amy, There are lots of brands out there. I don't buy the fancy ones. Most likely you'll need a multi-vitamin, iron, calcium citrate (not carbonate - see my reply on this thread to Lois), b complex, sublingual B12. Be sure that any B complex you get has all the Bs including B1 - I've seen some B complex sublingual liquids that don't have all of them. A B1 deficiency can cause permanent neurological damage so we don't want to mess with that. Then depending on your labs after surgery, you might need tweaking. Kathy
savvygl
on 2/2/06 10:22 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 09/29/04 with
I love the Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrate Lozenges. Since I have to take three a day the cinnamon ones are almost like altoids and I have no issues getting them all in. I have them sent to me monthly which cuts down on the cost a bit rather then me ordering them monthly. I've also had the chocolate (which are okay) and the mint (which I personally don't care for.) Hope it that helps a bit, but I really do think it is best to wait for your consult and talk to your surgeon and nutritionist. Robin 372/240/175ish...? LOL
(deactivated member)
on 2/4/06 8:45 pm - Fairfax Station, VA
Hi Robin, wher do you get the calcium citrate lozenges?? I would like to try them. donna
eileen f
on 2/6/06 11:01 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Hi Donna!! The Bariatric Advantage vendor was at the Richmond conference and had some samples of the calcium citrate wafers. They weren't too bad tasting and much easier to take than the caplets and tablets ~ those get stuck in my throat every time I try and take them. She said they could be ordered off the website. Eileen =)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views