new to messageboard!

Lorraina M.
on 2/1/06 4:22 am - Ruther Glen, VA
Hi, This is my first post to the messageboard for Virginia. I am in the midst of waiting for my insurance approval, actually the first appeal. MDIPA has 30 days, till Feb. 17 to make a decision. I am very hopeful this time it will be approved as I jumped through all the hoops they required. I am very interested in chatting with anyone who has had open RNY with Dr. Hutcher. I am pretty nervous about the surgery, had a real bad experience with a surgical procedure several years back, ended up with toxic septic shock and nearly left this earth. Anyway, anxious to hear anyone's experience. Thanks!!
Julie R.
on 2/1/06 4:35 am - Belspring, VA
Lorriana, Welcome to the board! I'm not familiar with Dr. Hutcher, but I do hope that your appeal is successful! Best wishes! Julie
(deactivated member)
on 2/1/06 7:04 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Lorraina , Dr.Hutcher was my surgeon 20 months ago . I had done some serious searching for a surgeon and he suited me . He is well mannered . Very to the point . and pulls no punches .. and in saying that ,. He is an angel to me .. he spent 7 hours in surgery with me to do my RNY and fix some major hernias and scar tissue problems .. and gave me back my life . He is the American Bariatric Associations International President . I have had the pleasure of attending the General Assembly with him on 2 occasions . I can tell you that you will be in great hands . His MO rate is 1.5 % . Pretty dang good in my eyes . Keep in mind you are the consumer here .. talk to him .. the office people there are great as well . Also - read my profile .. I wrote some about him there as well . Best wishes to you on starting your journey . If there is anything I can answer for you please do not hesitate to write me . Hugs, Natalie
Smukums
on 2/1/06 9:02 am - Richmond, VA
Hi Lorraina! Welcome! I just wanted to let you know that Dr Hutcher is my doc too. I am in the same boat as you are. I was denied the first time and I just turned in my paperwork today for the appeal! So far I love dr. hutcher. Good Luck on the appeal and feel free to email if you wanna chat about him or the waiting process - grr it stinks!! Nicole
Susan E.
on 2/1/06 11:23 am - Purcellville, VA
Hello, welcome to the Va Boards. The Insurance process can be a very painfull process but just hang in there if you know this is the right direction for your life. It is so worth it in the end. And we are all here if you need us. Susan
TammyNVA
on 2/1/06 6:55 pm - Chesterfield, VA
Welcome to the VA board!! I didn't have Dr. Hutcher, but Dr. Martin who is in the same practice. The nurses and office staff are all very nice and easy to work with. Best wishes on your journey and I look forward to hearing more as it happens for you! Tammy
(deactivated member)
on 2/1/06 7:49 pm
Welcome to the board. My doc is in No. VA and I am not familiar with your doc but if you click on his name and see that he has done 3500 surgeries wow. I just checked the VA Board of Medicine and saw no claims against him, he most be wonderful. Good luck to you on your insurance, I had them too and dropped them because they would not cover the surgery and I went with my husbands insurance CareFirst BC/BS. I am still waiting for approval and should be getting in tomorrow. I hope all goes well with you and your surgery because I know that they will approve. Dee
Lorraina M.
on 2/1/06 8:39 pm - Ruther Glen, VA
Hi Dee, So you also had MDIPA and were denied. I am curious, did you employer have an obesity rider on the policy? I know mine does, but they are still hard to deal with. By any chance were you a federal employee? I am hoping that will help me get the approval, but not sure if it has any bearing. Thanks for the reply! Lorraine
Tam
on 2/1/06 8:17 pm - Richmond, VA
Welcome to the board! Dr. Hutcher performed my surgery 9 months ago and I am more than 100% happy with him and all the work his staff has done. They are always there for us. I can not imagine haveing another surgeon! Dr. Hutcher also performed WLS on my cousin and my aunt 19 and 17 yeers ago and they are happy as well. I would love to chat...just shoot me an e mail. I would be happy to answer any and all of your questions. Have you been to the Forever Thin support group? It meets at St. Mary's in the educational rooms (behind the cafe) the second Thursday of each month. It is from 6:30 to 7:30. We would love to see you there! Tammy C 9 months out -159 lbs
Lorraina M.
on 2/1/06 8:46 pm - Ruther Glen, VA
Tammy, Thanks for the positive info on Dr. Hutcher. I have had a good feeling about him since I first heard him speak at one of the informational meetings. I hope that I will eventually be able to start attending some support group meetings, but it will be difficult because of work. I work in DC, commute from Caroline County, leave the house at 5am and get home about 6:45 or 7 each evening. In order to attend the Forever Thin I would have to take a half day leave and arrange alternate transportation as I ride in a vanpool. We'll see, maybe once in a while i can do that, would certainly love to. Happy to see that you and your family members were so satisfied with Dr. Hutcher and with the procedure in general, a good testament! Thanks again, Lorraine
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views