Help-need suggestions for calcium

sylvia
on 1/31/06 11:57 pm - Stafford, VA
I am taking the chewable calcium that tastes kinda like sweet tarts - 4 huge ones a day and I am already tired of the taste and having to force myself to take them every day. What types do you all take that work for you, or is this just hard for everyone? Are there any like Viativ on the market that are calcium citrate? Appreciate your input! Sylvia
cappymoon
on 2/1/06 12:02 am - Northern, VA
Hi Sylvia, I dont think there is a citrate made like Viactive, but if someone else knows of some, please let us BOTH know!! I used the vitamin shoppe brand of calcium citrate, disolved it in some water in a water bottle (Like an oz of water or so) swirled it around and drank that. There is no taste, but it can be gritty. It never bothered me pre or post op, and thats what I did till I could cut the pill in pieces and take it that way. I understand about sweetness, the chewable vitamins got to me after about a week, now if I smell one, I will get sick. Hope that helps! Dianna
sylvia
on 2/1/06 12:09 am - Stafford, VA
Yes that does help. I will dissolve my next two - that would have to be better - I take the same kind you take. Oh, and the multivitamins! Yuck - can't wait till I can swallow them - how long/many months out will that be? Gratefully, Sylvia
cappymoon
on 2/1/06 12:19 am - Northern, VA
I dont remember how long out....I think it was 3 months till I was swallowing pills whole, but I could be wrong....maybe 8 weeks for chewing and disolving pills.....Your nutritionist should be able to tell you, I think. You might want to check with them. Glad I could be some help! Dianna
A10sFrau
on 2/1/06 12:59 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
Tums are recommended by my doctor. Lois
Kathy & Rich
on 2/1/06 1:56 am - Fairfax, VA
Unfortunately some doctors recommend Tums, Lois. Tums are calcium carbonate which requires stomach acids to be absorbed. But we don't have much of that anymore. Calcium citrate is the better for us post-ops. Kathy
A10sFrau
on 2/1/06 11:32 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
I know. I don't TAKE Tums, I merely said my doctor recommends them. I use a chewable CalCitrate. But, I knowingly, with malice aforethought, am NOT following his recommendation. I fully accept the responsibility for my actions. I asked if the substitution was ok for me and was told it was. No patients will find that in print anywhere, though, from his office. I thought this poster was looking at all options. I apologize for my inappropriate post. Lois
Kathy & Rich
on 2/1/06 9:22 pm - Fairfax, VA
Nothing was inappropriate Lois. You were stating what your doctor recommends that's all. I was trying to be helpful. Kathy
Carole V.
on 2/2/06 12:13 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Lois, Please don't feel badly. The calcium question does seem to be a hot button. On the advice of my surgeon, I used Tums for calcium for the first year. After reading and understanding the difference with citrate and carbonate, I decided on my own to switch to citrate. Then came the search for citrate in a form I could tolerate. Now I find out my surgeon has changed his recommendation to citrate also. So, it's a learning experience for all of us. I think Kathy really was just trying to be helpful, not critical. Keep posting Lois, and don't let any difference of opinion deter you. You have a lot to offer this group. Carole
(deactivated member)
on 2/1/06 1:31 am - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Hello Sylvia - I just ordered some Upcal D (calcium citrate) from www.Vitalady.com. It's a flavorless powder calcium that you sprinkle on food or mix with your drinks. This stuff is GREAT and Ive been using it for about two years now! Although I prefer it in the CANNISTER w/scooper, they also sell it in the individual packets (which is convenient for traveling) It looks like that's ALL they have in stock right now are the packets. Anyway, a pack or a small scoop of it contains 500mg of calcium citrate & 250 iu of vitamin D3 (which helps the body to absorb the citrate better). The powder really IS flavorless. I've been known to just toss it back into my mouth followed by a small gulp of water. The price is SEMI reasonable too. It is $20 per canister although I used to be able to find it for $14.95 in bulk. One canister holds 180 scoops of powder at 500 grams per scoop, so if you take 3 scoops per day (at 1500 grams total) the canister will last just shy of 2 months. OR if you go with the individual packets - It's listed on her site at $6.25 for 60 packs, based on 1500 grams a day, that's a 20 day supply. http://www.vitalady.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=VTMN1645&reference=/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dcalcium%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DTemplates/SearchResult.html FYI - Michelle Curan, who owns www.vitalady.com is a member of OH and a long term post op and so is her husband. I'm kinda guessing here, but I believe they're about 12 or 13 years post op? ...give or take a day! Another option (and this is what I did in the earlier post op days) was just to buy the big ol' HORSE PILLS (Sams has a MarkIV brand that is very cheap, $7 or $8 for a gi-hugic cannister 400 tablets about a 3 month supply) ...you can either ground up the pills so they are powder like quality, or take a pill cutter to them and cut 'em up into tiny pieces. The reason I preferred this EARLY on, is because it was so difficult to get all my water in - during the day. If I "HAD" to take pills (even if it meant 15 or 20 tiny cut up pieces) that was a PLUS because it forced me to get in tiny sips of water, which eventually does add up. NOW? Im to the point where I can guzzle a lotta water, quickly - so the lazy side of me prefers to buy the powdered citrate already crushed up. One more thing? Either brands - even the Sams brand is absolutely TASTELESS! That's one of the few vitamins out there that truly has no taste. Honest. Good luck to you Sylvia -- Lei On a side note: IF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE I CAN FIND UPCAL D CHEAPER PLEASE HOLLAR BACK ON THIS POST!!!!! The place I originally used to buy it in bulk from is no longer in business and Im having the hardest time getting any of my flippin' SEARCH ENGINES to work today. Thanks ya'll - Lei .
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views