Lactose Intolerance?

spaceystacey
on 1/30/06 11:39 pm - Littleton, NC
I was at my mother-in-law's house this weekend. Everytime she cooks, she makes some sort of dessert. Of course, it is never sugar-free, but I don't mind that all too much. I can't expect everyone's eating habits to change just because mine have. Anyway, since this was a bigger family gathering, I thought ahead and found some no sugar added ice cream. There were only 3 grams of sugar in the whole serving and I found the one with the least amount of sugar alcohols, but they don't really bother me at all, anyway. Well, after dinner when everyone was eating their banana pudding, I pulled out my ice cream. I had less than two heaping spoonfuls of it (way less than a serving per the carton). About 10 minutes after eating it, I started feeling bloated and way nauseated. I didn't get sick, but boy was I miserable! The reason I think this may be lactose intolerance is because I made my protien shake with milk this morning and I got the same feeling in my belly. Is it possible to develop lactose intolerance five months post-op? Cheese doesn't do this to me at all! Thank you for your help! Stacey
Dave
on 1/31/06 1:03 am - Palmyra, VA
Yes it is. People can become lactose intolerant at any time. Try some lactaid (with added calcium) and see if the feeling comes back. I know at 5 months out I could eat the same thing twice and get sick only once. Our stomachs play mind games with us but it sounds as if you may be looking at a milk replacement for at least a while. Good luck! Dave
spaceystacey
on 1/31/06 7:13 am - Littleton, NC
Thank you so much, Dave! I am going grocery shopping tomorrow and I will pick up some lactaid. Hopefully that will make a difference. I am sure that my hubby will appreciate it too! Stacey
corynva
on 1/31/06 8:03 am - Roanoke, VA
Stacey......it is possible to become lactose intollerent....sometimes it goes away and sometimes it doesn't........mine didn't.......try a product that is OTC, can be found at Walmart in the antacid dept. It is called Omnigest. It takes care of that bloated feeling from too much fat/grease, milk and sometimes even sugar......I get the bloated feeling with all of these and I'm 4 years post-op......I should own stock in Omnigest by now. It works really fast...can be taken before dinner or when the bloating starts.....and if you want ice cream, try the BlueBunny no sugar added and low fat......doesn't taste like the real stuff, but then it's better for you and won't make you sick......I used to get so sick from it that it went beyond bloat and into actual moaning until the feeling passed.......good luck with it....Cory
TammyNVA
on 1/31/06 7:26 pm - Chesterfield, VA
Stacey, My sister became lactose intolerant after WLS. She says for her it's mostly a "build up thing." If she has one thing with some dairy in it, it usually doesn't bother her. But the more she has over a course of a day or so, and especially the higher fat content of the dairy... bad tummy time! She usually keeps lactaid pills in her purse at all times, just in case she goes out and is faced with dairy. Says she still has to be careful, but it helps. Good luck, Tammy
Christine Hood
on 1/31/06 8:40 pm - Fort Eustis, VA
Stacey, I have not yet had WLS but have been lactose intolerant my whole life. I don't bother to take any of those pills or anything, I just don't eat most dairy unless I plan to run right to the toilet! Not everything will bother me...I can eat a small container of yogurt or some harder cheeses (mozzarella, american, cheddar) but no soft cheeses (cream, ricotta, cottage). Different ice creams affect me differently and the worst tends to be soft serve and those that are labeled "home made or home style" It's been a joke in my family because I use ice cream when I get a little blocked up...sure tastes better than any laxatives and is much more predictable (usually works in 15 mins or so!) Christine
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views