Discouraged

Smukums
on 1/29/06 1:26 am - Richmond, VA
Has anyone been discouraged while waiting for an approval? if so - how did you shake it? I am going for my psych exam on tues then all the paperwork will be sent in for an appeal but I am begining to think it is not going to happen. Normally I am optimistic but for about a week now i have been losing hope. Also, has anyone started a diet while they were waiting? I was going to start maybe training myself to eat like i had had the surgery but I wasn't sure if that was successful for anyone? Also I am trying to have a plan B in case i dont get the surgery and that is not working either. If anyone has any suggestions, advice, comments, or anything else I am in need of any and all - hopefully this is another phase that will pass soon! Thanks for all help in advance! Nicole
Christine Hood
on 1/29/06 2:23 am - Fort Eustis, VA
I am completely with ya on this whole thing. I attended the info session in November, had my consult with my surgeon in December and have been running around like a chicken without a head and jumping through hoops ever since. I have quit smoking, and have tried to eliminate some of the little things (like cutting down on soda, sugary juices etc., increasing water) I'm going to start exercising again but have been sick this week (got a little cold). I want to minimize the culture shock as much as possible. I am almost done with my appointments/testing etc and every time I think that I am done, there is something else. One piece of advice that I can give you is to change your mindset before that psych eval. I was getting a bit down about the whole thing and was a bit frustrated and that caused me to have to jump through a whole other set of hoops to prove that I'm mentally ok. When I told my PCP that the psych did not want to sign off for me she was in shock because she knows how I am normally. As far as shaking it, I am going to every support group meeting that I can (went to 2 last week) and I just keep telling myself that it will happen. I get very frustrated but try not to let it consume me. I really have to work hard at forcing myself not to bring myself down. You can do it. Sometimes it just helps to hear that you are not the only one jumping through hoops. At the support group meeting the other day, I spoke with one of the nurses from my surgeon's office and she told me that they put you through all of this stuff to minimize the chance for denial...that definitely made me feel better! Hope that helps! Christine
Smukums
on 1/30/06 3:39 am - Richmond, VA
Christine: Thanks for the encouragement. I never thought about how my mentality right now would effect my psych exam - which is TOMORROW! I am going to try to beef it up tonight and get a lil optimistic about things. I am trying to go to all the support group meetings that I can. It seems to help once I do. Hopefully within a month I will know if i can be a loser too Thanks again! Nicole
Kathy & Rich
on 1/29/06 2:57 am - Fairfax, VA
Nicole, I definitely know what you mean. We decided to get married a year earlier than planned to get me on Rich's insurance so I could get the surgery too. We got married at the end of November and submitted insurance paperwork and $$$ to add me. I had a consult in early December. Well it took til the end of January for his insurance company to recognize that I was added to the policy. It was retroactive to our marriage date but still. That was two months of waiting for that to happen. Seemed like forever. In my case, my surgeon wanted a 10% (though I found out there was some flexibility in there) weight loss prior to surgery to shrink your liver before surgery since he was doing it laproscopically. He had very bad experiences with patients bingeing prior to surgery - last meal syndrome - and having difficulties with their surgeries so he imposed a rule. Other surgeons do the same. I started on my official pre-op diet mid-February. I ate low-carb like I had done in the past. I knew I could lose weight that way and at a reasonable rate. My problem was getting the rest of the weight off and not having it all come right back on. I got approved for surgery in late February but had to have back surgery first so WLS got pushed back to May. Both doctors conferred on what I could have and when. Yet another delay. Anyway, losing weight prior to surgery is great. Less to lose afterwards. Also, if you are capable of getting out and doing some exercise - that will help your recovery from the surgery too. Do cardio work. Walk! It helps your lungs out. Anything you can do to be healthier will help. Best wishes, Kathy
Smukums
on 1/30/06 3:42 am - Richmond, VA
Hey Kathy! Thanks for the suggestions and advice. I have so much coming up this year that I have lots of motivation to lose weight but its just frustrating when you have to put your future and health into someone else's hands. I just got back from las vegas and i started an excerise regime while I was out there- go figure - it took going across country to get me off my butt! LOL So hopefully by keeping that up and the low carb i can lose some weight in the meantime. Thanks for all the help and you are such an inspiration! Hope to meet ya soon! Nicole
wanda
on 1/29/06 2:58 am
Nicole, Dr. Hutcher's office staff is awesome. If there is a way to appeal and get your insurance to cover this, they will help you do it! I think beginning to diet and get your mind set for the surgery is excellent. I know I was so mentally ready when I began this journey it helped me a lot. Giving up soft drinks, finding a protein I liked, etc. helped me be better prepared for afterwards. Best of luck and don't get discouraged! We're here if you need us anytime! Hugs, Wanda
Smukums
on 1/30/06 3:45 am - Richmond, VA
Hey Wanda! Thanks for the info! Its encouraging to hear that other people have faith in his office as well. I am hoping that since I need the galbladder out ASAP that they will go ahead and just approve one surgery. I have given up on the sodas and i am starting to excercise more. I thought more about trying different proteins now and seeing what i like and what i dont but i have heard different people say that your tastes change after surgery. Also, I am trying not to get my heart set on having it so if i get denied again i wont be as heartbroken. Thanks for the encouragment!! Nicole
cappymoon
on 1/29/06 4:06 am - Northern, VA
You have had some wonderful responses already, I just wanted to stop by and lend you my support. I know sometimes it feels like things are dragging along, but once the wheels are truly in motion, hold on baby!! If you need to talk, you know how to reach me! Dianna
Smukums
on 1/30/06 3:47 am - Richmond, VA
Dianna, Thanks for being there to talk! I know i will feel much better once the insurance approves it - if they do. Everyone is such an inspiration that I hope more than anything I get the chance to be a loser too! Nicole
Kennie29
on 1/29/06 8:18 am - Chesapeake, VA
I hope everything works out and please keep your head up!! Things will work out for you!!!!!! Turn it over to God. He will work it out!!!!! Hugs, Kennie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views