Update on my Dad, sister.....

Kerry C.
on 1/29/06 4:49 am - VA
Opps..that's a 401k plan...not 401,000...spell check is a b*tch sometimes...lol Kerry
wanda
on 1/29/06 3:02 am
Dianna, I don't have any info on the details you're looking for, but here's a BIG, BIG congratulations on this wonderful opportunity for your dad and your sister. I will keep all of you in my prayers. ~Wanda
eileen f
on 1/29/06 4:07 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Hi Dianna I haven't talked to you on here since last weekend and wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed meeting you! Sorry you didn't like my cinnamon flavored 'Aftershock' ~ it is a little strong tasting, but I love cinnamon and used to love those candy 'fireballs'. I really don't have much info for you on the questions you were asking, except that I believe that self-pay people tend to get put on the books for surgery faster than insurance people, in general. I think Doctors are also willing to negotiate their prices a little for self-pay, since it is a guaranteed payment in advance. As to the insurance paying for the hospital, I would say that due to my experience with my TT last year, when I was selfpay, my insurance would not pick up the hospital tab, so I do not believe that they would in her case either, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I don't believe that they would cover the preop testing either, but I could be wrong on that too. Like I said, it wouldn't hurt to run those questions past her insurance company representative. Best of luck to your Dad and sister!!!!! Eileen
cappymoon
on 1/29/06 4:16 am - Northern, VA
Thanks Eileen!! LOL, that aftershock stuff shocked me!! I wasnt expecting that at all! Between that and the tequila rose, those are the 2 drinks I tell EVERYONE about! It was all good..... I so enjoyed meeting you as well, hopefully when I get to the beach, you will be available to come out and play!! Dianna
eileen f
on 1/29/06 5:51 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Dianna, do you know what date you and Nat are coming to the beach?? I am going to Hawaii in June (15-28 and unfortunately it seems I will miss the Richmond event ). Other than those dates, you can be sure I will come out and play with you guys! Eileen
Susan E.
on 1/29/06 9:01 am - Purcellville, VA
Hey Eileen, It was nice meeting you last weekend. I'm sorry you will miss the next event. I'm sure it will be another fun event. Thanks for having us to your room for some "Aftershock" I usually buy the cheaper version called "Hot Damn". Always love a good shot. (haha) Hey, Dianna I wanna go to the beach! Always up for sun and fun. Susan
WendyNVA
on 1/29/06 6:58 am - Va Beach, VA
Hey Dianna How wonderful that your father is willing to consider this surgery, not only for himself, but to help save your sisters life too. I'm certain you were their inspiration, with your success, how could they not want to live a full and happy life, if its possible. Although I cant help you answer your sis' questions about long-term and revision needs further down the road, I can help you with my experience as a self-pay RNY patient. I had my surgery over 4 years ago, so some of the costs may be different. My insurance flat out had an exclusion. My doctor agreed to give me a cash price of $3500, up front. This included all fees and post-op care, although post op care was minimal at best. I had surgery at Chesapeake General Hospital, and they agreed on a set-rate of $16,000 for Lap RNY... 1/2 up front on surgery day at check in, the other 1/2 they agreed to take payments. either 6 months interest free, or longer-term with interest. This included all fees, and I never got a bill from anesthesia. As far as pre-op testing, my surgeon was minimalistic, since we didn't have to play the insurance game. I did NOT have any history of heart problems, although I did have high BP, sleep apnea (not on a cpap), type 2 diabetes and no thyroid (it was irradicated a couple years prior). Since I was a smoker, his only requirements were for me to quit completely before surgery, which I did 9 days prior to my visit with him (i knew his drill, checked into it with him 4 years prior to doing it), an ekg, blood work and chest xray. My PCP was full on-board with me getting this surgery, and my main supporter. He ordered the xray, ekg and blood work testing as part of his treatment for me (covered under insurance) and sent the results to the surgeon. (i paid my co-pays for these things only). My surgeon also planned to take out my gall-bladder at the time of surgery (routine for him back then) and bill the insurance for this. This was my saving grace. The hospital billed the insurance for everything, they overpaid, and refused the refund when the insurance check was audited. I never had to repay the 8k balance. Tell your father to DEMAND cash pay discounts. Every facility and doctor will do it, as they end up getting more on the deal than insurance would ever pay. The hospital initially offered me 20%, but went to 30% when I told them what the surgeon offered (which was 30% discount). I hope this info helps Best of luck Wendy
TammyNVA
on 1/29/06 6:55 pm - Chesterfield, VA
Dianna, First, let me say that I'm happy your dad and sister are starting their journey towards health! In my family, I was the last one to get there... Almost 14 years ago, my sister and then my mom had open RNY. They were two of the first people to get this "new" procedure. There isn't much research, that I know of, of people any longer than that. I can report that they are both healthy, still committed to their vitamins, and still have to WORK IT, just like any other post-ops... Since my surgery 2 months ago, my mom has become recommitted to protein (this was not really emphasized back then) and has taken off 10 pesky pounds. My sister had her surgery right before marrying her military husband and moving overseas (Portugal and then Japan)! She was 25 at the time and had to learn to manage her vitamins and food intake all on her own, with little or no medical support, even through two pregnancies! Overseas military and foreign medical facilities were CLUELESS on how to manage her health. Anyway, they are both a wealth of knowledge and so very helpful to me on my journey. I asked my mom and sister to come to the Richmond bash, however, they both had prior commitments. Both are interested joining us another time. If you'd like, I'll check with my sister and see if she'd mind emailing with your sister. My sister and mom both live in Virginia Beach. Hugs, Tammy
Kitty Kat
on 1/29/06 7:28 pm - Richmond, VA
OMG I you so much! You are such a riot! As for your Dad and sister OMG it will be amazing! They will benefit SO greatly as we have. As ya'll know my Dad was totally against my having surgery then saw how well I did and 6 months later had it himself. We are both happier and healthier NOW more than ever. Get this he's got 3 brothers. Well, 1 that is still living. ALL have/had strokes and heart attacks, sugar issues and bp issues. 2 died because of them. The other is a smoker, has bp and sugar issues and a mild heart attack he's already had. Dad however has had NOTHING and in fact his asthma is all but gone. It used to pain him to move, breathe, sleep, walk anything. Now he hauls it. It is the best feeling seeing him active again. Mom is doing well too. She hasn't had surgery but has changed how she eats and her sugar and bp issues are getting much better. Both your father and sister will do wonderfully. I feel like our results are based on our drive to be successful with the tool we're given. As for you tummy and boobies it might work and while you're at it hit him up for me! ya, Kat
jilldennis
on 1/29/06 10:00 pm - White Post, VA
RNY on 08/30/05 with
Hi, Dianna - that is so great about your dad and sister!! My total medical bills with Dr. M and Fair Oaks was right around $35,000... My husband Jon is now considering WLS and I just have to set up a consultation with Dr. M for him. Miss you all!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views