Update on my Dad, sister.....

cappymoon
on 1/28/06 11:33 pm - Northern, VA
Hi everyone! So, my Dad went to the doctors Friday, to get a refil on his pain meds, and he asked the doctor what is going to help him feel better. His Dr said at this point, WLS was his only hope of making most of these health issues go away, and after surgery, the only meds he should HAVE to take, is the ones they gave him after his heart bypass, and he knows that. He will take those for the rest of his life. So, I went to his house Friday night and he ws asking a whole bunch of questions again. Then he told me he was not living at this point, the pain in his legs was awful, and one way or another, he wanted to be out of pain (Either get this surgery and die, or get this surgery and live and get healthy and have no more pain) Makes me sad to see him like this, he has always been my strong father, able to tackle anything, but when I saw him Friday, he was using my mothers wheelchair. So, I will be making calls tomorrow morning to help him get on the path he needs to be on. He has had his cardiac clearance, sleep test (He has severe sleep apnea) and I think he has had a stress test. So, here we go again, and I am happy for him. My sister on the other hand has sucky insurance. So, when we were discussing him Friday, he said he would do it if she would, and he would pay CASH for her. I almost lost it. To see the both of them get this amazing surgery, and to be able to LIVE again is awesome!! So, I have a few questions.... Anyone know a site about the LONG TERM affects of this surgery? My sister is scared to think what happens 30 years from now, will she need a revision? Anyone have a ball park idea on the cost when you pay cash? And will her insurance pick up the hospital bill?? Is there a discount for cash? I will be calling Pam in the morning asking about the $$ part. See how much he is looking at, then I will present the numbers to him, along with some PS for me . See what he says to *Daddy, I need a new tummy and boobies* Think it will work?? Thanks for any and all information you are able to provide. And if you dont have any info for me, please keep my family in your prayers, as they will need it..... Dianna
(deactivated member)
on 1/28/06 11:44 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
G'morning Dianna! Wooohoooo - good for BOTH of them! You're right, it is very exciting to know that they are going to take their life and their health back and you'll ALL be celebrating all those moments TOGETHER for many years to come. It's gonna be damn near impossible to find stats from 30 years ago - not so much because they don't exist, as the SURGERIES now available are so different from waaaaaaaaaaaaay back then. Much safer, much more effective, etc. Also, what we know NOW as a collective group, was not always privy to those 20 or 30 years ago. Things like nutrients, protein, vitamins, etc - was NOT toted as a MUST DO, back then. So any health data that might be around, is gonna be really OFF base, ya know? One lady (and her husband) that DID have the VBG about 13 years ago (maybe a little more) is Michelle Curan. She also owns and operates the www.Vitalady.com website. This woman is a WEALTH of information and she's NOT in it for the almighty buck - she'll help you via emails or the phone, just because of the common bonds we share. Obesity and weight loss. I'd have your sister check out Michelle's site. Although she has one on OH, it's very limited - most of her documentation can be found on www.vitalady.com I don't really have a clue on the COSTS - I do know there is a surgeon in Texas that advertises on the OH board and offeres the Lapband (I believe) for just under 11 grand. Normally IF you're a cash customer, the "insurance going rate" is NOT the rate that the customer is charged. Even with insurance - if you see a bill for, lets say 30 Grand? What actually gets paid out, when the dust settles, is maybe HALF of that, if not less. Make sure your sister (and dad) KNOW to negotiate that price. Choose the doctor based on skills, but don't settle for the first PRICE tossed back atcha. Good luck to all - keep us updated! Hugs - Lei (sorry, if my thoughts are jumbled and this is laced with errors, I really have to RUN, and there is no time to proof)
Susan E.
on 1/28/06 11:48 pm - Purcellville, VA
Oh Dianna, I dont have any of the information you are looking for. But I did want to share in your excitement. I am so glad your dad and sister are considering WLS. It will improve the quality of their lives greatly. I only wish my sister would consider it. I was showing her some pic's from last weekend and telling her everyones success stories. She didn't really seem interested. Maybe one day she will. And when you get some info on PS please share. Sounds like you and I are looking for the same enhancements. I need it bad. Enjoy this rainy Sunday, Susan
cappymoon
on 1/28/06 11:53 pm - Northern, VA
I just put their pics on my page if anyone is interested
Kathy & Rich
on 1/29/06 12:14 am - Fairfax, VA
Dianna, I did meet your dad when you brought him to support group. I hope that both he and your sister can get this done and get on the road to improved health. Hope you get your slim tummy and new boobies too. How does he feel about adoption? LOL! Kathy
(deactivated member)
on 1/29/06 1:06 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Di , Thank you for allowing me to speak to your sister the other night about all of this . I could tell in her tone of voice , she was begining to get excited about it . The offer to come up and speak to both of them is on the table . I will get the pre-op packets together for them along with some samples and stuff . If I could have my Daddy back Dianna , I would do anything in the world to have him back here healthy with me .. I love you for being there for him .. he is going to need you .. your guidance and love . Just let me know when and where .. I am so happy for you .. a second chance .. Love , Your Nat Nat.
Smukums
on 1/29/06 1:34 am - Richmond, VA
Hey Dianna! Like I told you last night- that is awesome that they are both willing to do it now. Its a blessing that your father is able to get his through his insurance and he is willing to help your sister! It's going to be a great year for you and your family and they are going to need your expert advice and support! I will keep them in my thoughts and please keep us posted on their progress! Nicole
Kerry C.
on 1/29/06 2:56 am - VA
Hi Dianna, I almost never post on here although I do read through the post each day. I had my surgery on Oct 4th. I was self pay as well. I'm from the Richmond area and I investigated the price for most of the Doctors and Hospitals in the Richmond area. I also looked else where in the state and found a very comprehensive package as well as a very good doctor in Newport News. The rates that they charge are as followed: For the Lap RNY the cost were: Hospital $15,400 Doctor $5,185 Anesthesiologist $1,300 For the Open RNY the cost were: Hospital $11,800 Doctor $5,185 Anesthesiologist $1,300 I believe this cost was substantially less then what is charged the insurance companies and less than what I could find in Richmond. Regardless, make your decision based on the Doctor not the price. I hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free to email me. Kerry
cappymoon
on 1/29/06 3:29 am - Northern, VA
Thanks so much for the information Kerry! I figured about $20,000 is what he will be expected to pay, and I told him that. He said that was fine, lets get it going! Now, another ? for you. Since you were self pay, how long did you have to wait for a date, and did you have the basic pre-op tests to do? I know going through insurance I had to do the 6mo diet, psych eval, ect ect. What did your surgeon require?? Again, thanks for the info! Dianna
Kerry C.
on 1/29/06 4:42 am - VA
I think $30,000 is a more realistic amount to be looking at. If I'm not mistaken the cost in Richmond ranged from $26,000 to $32,000. If you're staying in Nova it's bound to be even high. I had to undergo the normal pre-op testing and those were included in the price I quoted. I was fairly healthy (if you can call it that) prior to the surgery so no additional testing was required. I did not have to undergo any type of supervised diet before hand, although I did provide my doctor with the dates and types of diets I had tried in the past. I believe I went to an initial seminar on July 15. At that time I scheduled my psych evaluation (which was required) for two weeks later with a Doctor that works out of that office part of the time. I would be hesitant to go with any surgeon that doesn't require this. I was also required to attend the same "classes" (included in the price) that they require of their patients that go with an insurance. I asked the psychologist after her consultation with me for the results immediately so that I could go ahead and schedule the surgery. I needed the date so that I could request a payout from my 401,000 plan. So in all it took me about 2 1/2 months for the surgery. The cost also covered 3 months worth of follow-up appointments with the doctor. However they strongly recommended at least a year of follow-up if not more. Hope this helps (and good luck to both your father and sister) Kerry
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views