BAD TUMMY!!

Sharon Q.
on 1/28/06 7:02 pm - Fredericksburg, VA
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, yet another night of ER for me. My newest pain is right after I eat anything...................the most intense pain of my life. It does calm again, but takes about 20 to 30 minutes of agony. I couldn't even make it to Fair Oaks this time, had to get to Mary Washington for pain killers fast. They think I need an Upper GI, to check the new plumbing. They said if it was bowel obstruction it would've showed in the cat scan. I was sent home with more percoset, and told to report to Fair Oaks on Monday. So I return to you, my support team. Any ideas here? I think it is so scary to be masking that pain with pain killers...............there is something really wrong here!! Major tummy pain radiating into my back. It's in the middle, not lower. Thanks again, my favorite people!! XOXOXOOXOXO Sharon.............in pain
TammyNVA
on 1/28/06 8:12 pm - Chesterfield, VA
Sharon, No ideas, but sending lots of love and prayers your way. So sorry you are in pain!!! Tammy
(deactivated member)
on 1/28/06 8:14 pm - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Sharon , I am so sad you are in pain .. it sounds like .. and remember I am no doctor .. but maybe an ulcer ... are you throwing up .. quesy ? It sounds like you really do need a looksee on your pouchy .. to see what could be going on . If it where a bowl obstruction ..it may or may not show on a cat scan . I had one with a hernia one time .. and they did not find in until they got in there to repair . ( Pre RNY ) Just stay hydrated and if you can eat .. do so .. Get to the doc quickly.. Hugs ! Nat
David@Goal
on 1/28/06 8:32 pm - VA
Sharon- I had an internal hernia- I also could not eat- and if I did (say, chicken..) I was doubled over in pain for a few hours....finally after basically wahat amounted to a five hour leak test- they confirmed that my small intestine had worked its way through a small opening in my pouch and was being strangled...which could have led to death. They fixed!! PLEASE have them check for that as well. AND yes- the pain did radiate to my back- that's what caught my eye in your post - I was driving down the road to the hospital to admit myslef at Emergency- pain in front- pain in back- and then- as if by magic- it stopped. So I waited & went the next day rather than deal with the ER. I had some perkies- they helped me so much til I could get to the doc. I went with bag packed- so glad I did- was admitted that day. Good luck and keep us posted! David Oh- eat broth!!! That made me feel better!
Kathy & Rich
on 1/28/06 8:46 pm - Fairfax, VA
Sounds like it could be gallbladder. Galbladder pain will often radiate into the back. Is the pain more towards the right ride say up under your rib cage? Is it more pain if you eat something fatty like cheese then if you eat something else? Did you call Dr M? Hugs, honey, big hugs! Kathy
Jen_G
on 1/28/06 9:29 pm - in, VA
Hey Girl, Have they done an ultrasound yet to look at your gall bladder. It sounds exactly like what I went through. Such bad pain right after eating, then went away after a while. I'm sorry you are going through this! What can I do to help? Lova ya, Jen
(deactivated member)
on 1/28/06 11:28 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Hello Sharon - YIKES that sucks, big time! Hopefully they get to the bottom of the pain SOON. Our bodies are wonderful, when it comes to sending out the warning signs, and lord knows yours is SCREAMING 'em right now. I haven't a clue what's going on with you - but it sure SOUNDS like the ol' gall bladder. Do you still have yours?!? If so, methinks you're about to lose it! Unfortunately, GALL BLADDER's going BAD after weight loss surgery is very VERY COMMON!! I wish ALL doctors removed the gall bladder when they're doing the WLS surgery. My doctor (in Washington) made it a requirement - after 20 years of surgery, he was tired of having to put his patients back through a 2nd surgery, almost ALWAYS within 6 months to a year of WLS. Id already had mine taken out at the point of my bypass, but if I still had one, he pretty much required that I sign a waiver (or hold harmless, whatever it's called) of some sort, saying he could remove it at the time he was doing the RNY. It stands to reason that the gall bladder would go bad after weight loss surgery. It's primary function in life is to process the fats and grease that we ingest - if our fat cells are being flushed through our bodies at a rapid pace, early post op - then our gallbladder goes into turbo drive and eventually fails. For ANY NEW PREOP's out there? Just thought I'd toss the following blurbage into this post too in case any out there are reading this. IF you still have a gall bladder you might want to seriously consider TALKING TO YOUR DOC about getting the sucker taken out at the time of WLS! Yep, some will say it's an "ethical vs unethical" kinda thingie that keeps the docs from automatically removing it (the ol' if it's working, leave it alone, theory) but you as a patient can REQUEST it. Bottomline, the odds are against YOU that your existing gall bladder won't need to be removed - which in turn leads to a second surgery. I've lost track of the thousands of people I've seen, heard, read, over the last 5 years with OH, that have had WLS who end up having gallbladder surgery after WLS and rapid weight loss. Good luck to you Sharon, hopefully you can keep the Pain levels in check. I had emergency gall bladder surgery many years ago, and I KNOW the pain you speak of. Ouch!!! Hugs - Lei
Christine Hood
on 1/29/06 12:46 am - Fort Eustis, VA
Hey Sharon, Sounds like gallbladder to me too! My mom had her gallbladder taken out but she went for years with the pain that you are decribing...especially after heavier meals like Thanksgiving. Hope you get to the bottom of this and feel better real soon! Christine Lei, Will insurance still pay for gallbladder removal at the time of WLS if the ultrasound looks fine and the doctor doesn't recommend it? I am pre-op and have been wondering about that. Christine
Smukums
on 1/29/06 1:49 am - Richmond, VA
Hey sharon! You are going through the same thing I am right now. As soon as i eat - i get pain on the right side but it does go away after a lil while. The week before last they found that my galbladder is not functioning and that is causing the pain. Do you still have yours? That might be it. I also had a hernia a few years ago but I coudn't eat with that - i had nausea and pain pretty bad. Either way it does sound like you need more testing and examination to determine it and you should have it soon. Keep us posted and you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Be sure to stay hydrated and dont over do it! Nicole
(deactivated member)
on 1/29/06 2:48 am
Sharon, I am praying for you that you get well soon. I hope that they will easily find out what it is and take care of it so that you do not have any more down time. Feel better soon. Dee
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views