Am I doing the right thing?

Linda Y.
on 1/26/06 3:05 am - Portsmouth, VA
Hello All, My big day is finally coming up this Wed. Feb. 1st! I've beginning to question my decision, I'm getting so nervous & scared at the same time. I know I want to eat less but, do I really want to eat this much less...hardly anything...I'm giving up all my favorite foods! I love to eat & I know I eat too much of the wrong things. At the same time I want to eat less or have more self control but I don't! I've tried so many other diets & ...well, you know how the rest of this sentence goes! Did anyone else feel the same way or is it just me? Anastasia
Carole V.
on 1/26/06 3:25 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Anastasia, Best wishes to you next Wednesday. Only you can answer if this is the right thing for you, please don't go through with it if you really are not sure. I asked my surgeon to tell me everything that could happen after the surgery, even if it was a remote possibility. When he mentioned that I might not be able to tolerate steak, I have to admit, that made me pause. Give up my favorite food? Then I thought, yes you idiot, give up steak and get a life, which is what I did. The good news? Since about 8 months out of surgery, I can tolerate steak just fine, I did not have to give up my favorite food. I always get the most expensive cut on the menu, because I know it will last me through 2 more meals (what a bargain!), and I enjoy it even more than before. You have to decide what is truly important to you, and go for it. Good luck, Carole
Linda Y.
on 1/26/06 5:42 am - Portsmouth, VA
Carole, Thank you so much for responding. For some reason I keep forgeting than I will get my Life back! Right now food is more on my mind than the fact that I'll have a healthier body. I need to read the list I made of what I will benefit from after surgery...duh! Thanks for jogging my memory! Anastasia
(deactivated member)
on 1/26/06 6:26 am - Fairfax Station, VA
Hi Anastasia, what you are feeling are pretty normal thoughts. But like Carole said, only you can answer if this is for you. It is a huge life style change. I have always had a love affair going on with food - a true foodie. And now I find that I am just not that interested, and I sometimes feel sad about that. Isn't that strange. It's like I've lost my best friend. But the benefits, at least for me, are so remarkable I just can't believe it. Not just the weight, that's to be expected. But the fact that I can do things, be more active, I've had my blood pressure meds adjusted, just so many wonderful things. Yeah, for me it is is worth it. But for you, please be sure you consider everything. No regrets!! love donna
Dave
on 1/26/06 6:26 am - Palmyra, VA
You're feeling the same things most here have felt as we approached our date. You made a decision and if you put enough thought into it you know deep in your mind that it's the right one for you. Enjoy the intense feelings you're going to have for the next few days and when you become a loser, you'll look back and wonder why you were afraid of a little change. Good luck! Dave
nitengale
on 1/26/06 1:29 pm - Leesburg, VA
RNY on 09/14/04 with
Hi Karen....uh I mean Anatasia... Everyone has felt this way...or darn near everyone. But get things right in your mind... that THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT!!! It is not going to be easy... for me... the weight dropped off easily but the emotional aspect has been extremely difficult. I literally grieved "my friend" about 60 days after surgery. I cried for 3 weeks. I have tried to "fix" me on my own and did go to a pychologist but she was not specifically for eating disorders or behavior modification. I still struggle every day and just want to be "normal"...whatever the hell that is. I was given a referral by a fellow member here of a behavior mod lady that she went to... hoping to get things rolling here within the next couple of weeks. Hopefully when I can get the inside fixed, I'll be alot more satisfied with the outside. It seems I suffer from body dysmorphic syndrome as well...oh joy!!! If you EVER need a shoulder... let me know... mine are not as big as they used to be...but in my head I think they are!! LOL One of my surgeons at work who is planning on starting WLS at our hospital...told me all I needed to do was to "start banging like a bunny". I don't know... I think a regular plate of spagetti would work too... lol... The good news in all of this is this... your tastes will change... things that you have loved and devoured will no longer hold the allure they had before. French fries, mac and cheese, bread were my staples in life... now... uh uh... I have had french fries maybe 3 times... mac and cheese twice and had my first slices of bread about a month ago... just not so appealing anymore...don't care if I ever eat it again. It is a mind set and you have to work on that as much as on the body. Good luck on your journey... just remember... take care of all of you not just the outside... love wanda
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views