The Great American Health Check!

(deactivated member)
on 1/25/06 10:59 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
This is just an FYI for those that might be interested and didn't see the commercials or advertisements on it. I just saw the commercial on TV and went over to the website being shown. It's the Great American Health Check at www.cancer.org On the far right under the "this months" column there is an option to take the Great American Health Check - click on it. When that loads, on the right of the "Daily Planner" is the option to take the quiz. You can then choose to load it in highspeed or dialup. Also, from the looks of it, the Daily Planner is an ONLINE planner that you can actually update and track your progress with foods, exercise and weight. I already have so many gazillion ways to track myself that I probably won't use it, but wanted to mention it for those of you that might be interested. Not sure if anyone has any use for this AT ALL, but I thought I'd toss it out there just in case. - Lei
(deactivated member)
on 1/25/06 11:04 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
[sigh] ...sorry, I meant to INCLUDE a copy of my test results so that you could see what type of data it compiles. It's a quick test - prolly 7 minutes long, give or take a click. These were MY results and the action planned suggested with my doctor. TEST RESULTS: This is your personalized Action Plan: Take this Action Plan to your doctor. Age and Gender Risk: Based on your age and gender, the American Cancer Society recommends the following: Ask your doctor to provide a clinical breast exam and a mammogram every year. Have a Pap test to check for cervical cancer. If you have had three normal Pap tests in a row, you may have a regular or liquid Pap test every two to three years OR a Pap test with the new HPV DNA test every three years. Also, as part of a periodic checkup for any woman your age, your doctor should check the following: Lymph nodes Oral cavity Ovaries Skin Thyroid One more thing about breast awareness: In addition to your breast exam, it's important for you to be familiar with your breasts so that if any changes occur in your breasts, you can let your doctor know without delay. Some women choose to do a BSE (breast self-exam) and if you do, please ask your doctor to check your technique. Having a family history of cancer in your immediate family can increase the risk of several forms of cancer. However, the vast majority of people with cancer do not have any close relatives with the disease. Even if you answered "no" to this question, you still need to have screening tests and take steps to avoid controllable risk factors. Eating Habits: Eating at least five servings of vegetables and fruits each day as part of a healthy diet can help reduce your risk of cancer. Think about ways you can include more vegetables and fruits in meals and snacks throughout your day. Talk to your doctor about other ways you can eat a healthier diet. The American Cancer Society recommends: Eat a variety of healthy foods, with an emphasis on plant sources. Eat five or more servings of a variety of vegetables and fruits each day. Choose whole grains in preference to processed (refined) grains and sugars. Limit consumption of red meats, especially those high in fat and processed. Choose foods that help maintain a healthy weight. Whole grains are an important part of a healthy diet. Try to eat at least three servings of whole grain foods each day. Keep looking for ways to include more whole grains in your diet throughout the day. Whole grain cereal in the morning and a sandwich made with whole wheat bread for lunch are easy ways to get your "three a day." Dairy products provide some much needed calcium and protein, but can also be loaded with saturated fat - which is not good for your cancer or your heart disease risk. The American Cancer Society recommends that you aim for choosing lowfat dairy products more often than not - lowfat milk, yogurt and cheeses are still packed with good-for-you nutrition but with less saturated fat. Eating a diet low in saturated fat is important for your health. Red meats - beef, pork and lamb - and processed meats can add saturated fat to your diet. Choosing chicken, turkey and fish instead of red meats is an easy way to reduce the amount of saturated fat you eat (although go for baked or broiled poultry and seafood instead of fried!) If you do eat red or processed meats, try not to eat them every day. If you eat a fairly well-balanced diet, the occasional sweet treat is not likely to be a problem. These high-sugar foods, though, typically have a lot of calories and not a lot of nutrients, so if you tend to have them on a regular basis, you may want to look for ways to cut back: Watching portion sizes is a good way to start! Physical Activity: Based on your answers, it looks like working more physical activity into your day is an important way for you to reduce your cancer risk. The American Cancer Society recommends that adults engage in at least moderate activity for 30 minutes or more on five or more days of the week; 45 minutes or more of moderate to vigorous activity on five or more days per week may further enhance reductions in the risk of breast and colon cancer. BMI (Body Mass Index): This number is commonly used to judge whether you are at a healthy weight for your height. Knowing your BMI is important, because it can give you an indication of whether your weight may be putting you at increased risk of cancer. Based on the Height and Weight you entered, your BMI is 25.8. You've taken the first step to reduce your cancer risk by learning your BMI. The American Cancer Society recommends that you maintain a BMI between 18.5 and 25. Eating well, being active and maintaining a healthy weight are among the important ways to reduce your risk. A doctor can further assess your personal risk for serious weight-related diseases by considering your BMI, waist size, and other measures of health such as blood sugar levels. Even a small weight loss (5%-10% of your current weight) lowers the risk of several diseases. People who are overweight or obese have a greater chance of developing certain cancers-including breast cancer for women over age 50 and colon cancer-as well as high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol or other lipid disorders, diabetes, heart disease, and stroke. Habits: You have said you smoke. Smoking damages nearly every organ in the human body, is linked to at least 10 different cancers, and accounts for some 30% of all cancer deaths. Talk to your doctor about how to quit.
jilldennis
on 1/26/06 12:19 am - White Post, VA
RNY on 08/30/05 with
Thanks Lei - I will check it out!! Hugs! Jill PS-I sent in new pictures last night to OH to get a new photo!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views