Food Question

Iamspoi1ed
on 1/25/06 12:56 pm - Roanoke, VA
Hello everyone! Since I have been home I have been on the typical post-op liquid/yogurt & cottage cheese diet. I know that a lot of you are post-op and I have a question for you.....since you have had surgery, what is your favorite thing to eat? I am trying to plan on the changes I will have to make as far as preparing food goes and I am looking for some good things to learn to cook.... I cant wait to hear your imput! Thanks! Mary
(deactivated member)
on 1/25/06 6:35 pm - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Hey Mary Welcome home ! Hope this finds you well .. WOW .. My favorite food to eat is yogurt .. and fish or seafood . This goes down really well . I hope that you are planning on coming to the support group meeting next week . There are many there that can offer suggestions as well . There are so many choices you can have thru the journey . I guess right now with you being newly post op .. you have to be very careful . If you like Mexican .. make some refried beans .. FF .. add some FF sour cream and some avacado .. Yumm .. I ate this a lot . Well take care .. Hope to see you next week . Natalie
TammyNVA
on 1/25/06 7:08 pm - Chesterfield, VA
Mary, Congratulations!! I, like you, have been looking for interesting and tasty foods to eat post op! My first REAL food was a simple broiled salmon... but after a month of milk-based protein, it was FANTASTIC. I have found that my tastes are much simpler now than they were. There are MANY places to go for good recipies. Bariatriceating.com has some great ones, plus items you can buy to make stuff yummy (I highly recommend the Sesame Ginger marinade/dressing.) Also, try googling WLS recipies. I have found many but have only tried a few. In my head I want to eat more than my pouch really wants! Listen to the POUCH! Good luck! Tammy
(deactivated member)
on 1/25/06 8:00 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Hello Mary - Congratulations on your recent surgery and taking back your life - it's gonna be one heck of a journey so hang on tight and enjoy the ride. As far as the types of foods *we* eat now? There really isn't ANYTHING that I can't eat at 3 years post op. Somethings still make me choke up and if it's not moist (like some pork, or white meats - er, lol, as in CHICKEN, kinda white meats) it can get stuck. Or if I eat too fast, don't think, talk too much and forget to chew - like this past weekend at the conference. I had a piece of chicken that went down sideways and stayed lodged for awhile. Anyway - as far as a list of foods or recipes - the BEST place, bar none, that Ive found to get a ton'a information - including foods, recipes, etc is "Dame Tooters" site. Dame is an OH member who has a profile with OH, but she also has a second site called: http://www.bariatricbytes.com/ FULL of helpful information in ALL aspects of the journey - free at no cost to anyone that wants to click, read and search. I HIGHLY recommend it to any and all, PreOp, NewlyPostOp and Grads, alike. Good luck to you - Lei
(deactivated member)
on 1/26/06 4:04 pm - Yakima, WA
Wow, thank you SO much! I'm truly honored and humbled by your words!
Lelandmm
on 1/26/06 5:51 am - Chesapeake, VA
Mary, My only suggestion is, Don't get burned out on one thing! I ate SO much tuna fish in the first 4-6 weeks, that I really thought I was turning into a fish! I didn't eat it for months! I know your dieitcian / surgeon told you, Your tastes will change, but Trust Me, They REALLY do! Before surgery, I could eat Mexican every day of the week, but I wouldn't touch Chinese but a couple times a year. Its the other way around now. Actually, I think I've only eaten Mexican twice in my 18 months post op. I love chicken, turkey, and seafood. So I have no problem with the protein. Just do yourself a favor, and when you try something new, just try one thing at a time. If you have a plateful of new stuff, and you get sick, you wont know which your body doesn't like! And don't forget, just because your body doesn't like something today, wait a month or 2, It may like it in the future. Leland
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views