Do I choose Lap or Open WLS?

Ernurse323
on 1/26/06 12:34 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Hey Cheryl !! A G-tube is a tube that is inserted directly into your stomach. You can give feedings through them or decompress the stomach. They can be nasty if they get raw...but for this surgery the G-tube won't be in for long. How are you? How many more days? Dana
Ernurse323
on 1/26/06 12:30 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Thank you Betsy !! It looks like you guys all had a great time there !!! I enjoyed the pics. Yes, you are getting ready to take off with those wings I can see it now. Your surgery has opened up so many doors to you. I read some of your posts about what has been going on to you but didnt want to say anything because I didn't know if it was my place... I hope you are doing ok and I have been thinking about you. Dana
Stephanie M.
on 1/25/06 2:17 pm - Moncks Corner, SC
Hi Dana, I had open, and Dr. Clark is my doctor. I chose him because of his reputation. I am a nurse, and I am very picky about my doctors. I did my homework about him before I went there. I did not care which procedure I had. I mean, this was my life we were talking about, and it was in his hands. At least, that is the way I felt about it. I also liked that he took a look around at the other organs while he was already in there. You just have to go with what makes you feel comfortable. It all comes down to how you feel about it. My scar is healing very well, and is almost completely faded in some areas already, and I am almost 6 months out. It is only about 4 inches long. I highly recommend Dr. Clark. He is awesome! Stephanie
Kennie29
on 1/25/06 3:09 pm - Chesapeake, VA
My doctor is Dr. Terracina, but I have seen a patient of Dr. Clark and her scar was not long at all, in fact it looked great, I saw 2 of his patients scars that had it open with him. I think the size of the scar is great and if I had to have it open I would have went with him, but I chose to have it done Lap. Good luck and I hope things work out for you! Hugs, Kennie
Ernurse323
on 1/26/06 12:42 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Heya Kennie !! I guess I will be seeing you around the office hopefully !!! Good luck on your upcoming surgery. Lucky you !!! They both seem like great docs. I was really wanting it done lap because my stomach already looks like the road map to Georgia because of a tummy tuck and 2 c-sections...but hopefully the open will be just fine. : - ) Dana
TammyNVA
on 1/25/06 7:27 pm - Chesterfield, VA
Dana, As the others have said, it is really up to your doctor and what their expertise is in. My doctor prefers to do LAP. Even though I had several previous abdominal surgeries and mucho scar tissue, she was able to complete my Lap. However, there's always the chance they could start Lap and end up Open. I was in surgery for almost 5 hours (this is an exception!) Dr. Martin told me the next day that two years ago she would not have been able to complete my procedure Lap because of all the scar tissue, but that I was a "good work-out" for her and her associates! Glad I could help!!! I've had both types of surgery, and the recovery from Lap was soooo much easier! Good luck! Tammy
Ernurse323
on 1/26/06 12:44 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Tammy, LMAO !!!! So you told her you did her a favor, huh?..hehehe Yeah I was hoping for lap..but I may be one of those who had to be opened up !! Dana
(deactivated member)
on 1/25/06 8:26 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
Hello Dana - If at ALL possible LAP surgery is so much better then OPEN - specifically because of the HEALING process afterwards. I was hoping my doc would do mine lap, but I was an apple shaped gal and carried ALL of my weight around my stomach/gut area. It was "safer" to work on my 400 lb body with an OPEN cut. Easier to see, easier to move things aside/around - like my overly fatty liver. Anyway - the recovery time on an OPEN surgery can be 3 to 4 times longer. I had LAP surgery on my gallbladder about 6 years before and was back at the office, working 70 and 80 hour weeks within 5 to 7 days. With my open RNY, I was in a hobbling healing stage for several weeks. I probably coulda gone back to work (cept, I was a domestic goddess at the time) within 4 weeks of surgery. lol, but the truth be known, I milked the "attention" from my husband and family for at least 6 weeks. Sometimes, you just have NO choice -- Lap or Open. I have a few friends who's doc started off doing the lap, found problems and or obstructions and ended up having to open 'em up. Good luck to you - Lei
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views