IS WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY COSMETIC SURGERY?

cheryl_jagow
on 1/24/06 3:34 am - CHESAPEAKE, VA
IM MY OFFICE TODAY, I HEARD A LADY STATE IM NOT GETTING COSMETIC SURGERY, I DON'T WANT TO MESS UP MY BODY. THE OTHER GIRL SHE WAS TALKING TO SAID IM TO YOUNG TO GET COSMETIC SURGERY, WHICH SHE IS, A SIZE 12. I ASKED THEM WHO IS GETTING COSMETIC SURGERY? SHE SAID YOU ARE. I SAID ME? IM NOT GETTING COSMETIC SURGERY. SHE SAID YES YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THAT IS A COSMETIC SURGERY. I JUST LEFT IT AT THAT. I DIDN'T WANT TO START A CONFRONTATION AT WORK. I KNOW THIS SURGERY IS A TOOL TO HELP ME. "THEY" DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT. NOR DO THEY THINK I NEED THE SURGERY TO HELP ME LOOSE WEIGHT. I HAVE ALREADY TOLD THEM I HAVE TRIED DIFFERENT THINGS AND THEY DON'T BELIEVE THAT. THE COMMENT MADE ME UPSET!
Kathy & Rich
on 1/24/06 3:38 am - Fairfax, VA
Rearranging your innards is NOT cosmetic surgery. The lady or ladies are mis or uninformed. Kathy
KeepItSexy aka Janet
N.

on 1/24/06 3:43 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 03/19/04 with
Cheryl, Don't let that mess bother you. She just has very little or no education about the surgery. Before I had surgery, I had three people tell me that they are not ready to take such a measure. And believe it or not I will be two years out in March and all three people has since had the surgery. Keep the faith, you have to be happy with your inner self. JanetN
Julie R.
on 1/24/06 4:10 am - Belspring, VA
Cheryl, I hate that some people in your office are being so catty. Luckily, my co-workers have been great, but I ran into a similar (not plastic surgery) situation last night at the gym. I was talking to one of the employees at Curves about my upcoming surgery. There were two other women there. They didn't hear me saying that I was having WLS but heard the employee saying how she wished she could but her insurance wouldn't cover it. Well, they started in on how stupid it was for her to consider it. They didn't know anyone that had had it who was happy with their decision. The employee pointed out that there are 4 members who have had it done, and they are happy with the results. That still didn't stop them. They went on to say that people who have surgery are taking the easy way out, and if they just put some effort into it they could loose the weight. That statement ticked me off , and the employee thankfully said, "Julie's having it done." That put them in a stupor! Luckily, I had them stuck in the circuit (cool thing about Curves) and spent the next 15 minutes "educating" them on weight loss surgery. In the end, I felt pretty good Sorry for the tanget Having negative comments come from people you know and see on a regular basis is more hurtful. Just remember that they have not been in your shoes and will never understand your weight struggle. THIS IS NOT COSMETIC SURGERY! The ladies at the gym had the same attitude, even after they found out I'm going to have it, and said that I wasn't big enough and I hadn't tried all of my options. Sometimes I wish we could just put people in a bodysuit for a month, so they can FEEL what it is like. Of course, they still wouldn't experience the medical conditions that come with the weight. To sum it up...I think taking this step toward surgery is a very brave step to take. If you have exhausted other attempts at weight loss & you are comfortable with your decision, do what you can to tune out their comments. I know that is easier said than done, but you are a strong person. Bit by bit, you may be able to educate them. Just remember that if they give you grief and you need to vent, we are here for you. Feel free to email me if you want to chat or vent. My surgery will be coming up on February 8th. Best wishes! Sorry so long!!! Julie
cheryl_jagow
on 1/24/06 9:13 pm - CHESAPEAKE, VA
I HAVE TRIED TO EDUCATE THEM. I GUESS THEY DON'T WANT TO HEAR THAT! OH WELL. ARE YOU NERVOUS ABOUT YOUR SURGERY? MINE IS FEB 22ND! IM SCARED AND EXCITED. A LOT OF EMOTIONS! THANKS FOR YOUR ADVISE.
Ernurse323
on 1/25/06 12:43 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Heyya Cheryl !!! Uggghh..Thats why I am telling minimal people about my plans for WLS...because everyone has something to say, even if they don't know what the heck they are talking about. Now, keeping my mouth shut is very hard for me because I am an open book. With this toipic, I think I will leave my questions and comments to the people I know and trust or the good people on here that are in or have been in the same boat. I have been burnt too many times talking freely to the wrong people. Sometimes people run their trap because they are insecure about themselves and you taking this step is a threat to THEM. You are a doll..just keep your chin up and fling those boing boing curls over your shoulder ( soon to be little shoulder !! ) and you turn your head the other way as they make their little digs toward you. You know where you have been and where you are going... YEAH FOR YOU !!!!! Dana
Sherri O.
on 1/24/06 5:12 am - Jonesborough, TN
Cheryl Here is some food for thought... insurance companies do not cover 'cosmetic procedures' unless you have cancer, injury etc. So if insurance companies cover this surgery, then it is not cosmetic. You can tell them that and a few other things :-0 Don't let the narrowmindedness of idiots upset you. These surgeries are the answer for some people. It may not be the ONLY answer, nor is it the answer for everyone. It IS however the choice you made. You do not have to have their approval. You did what you felt to be the best decision for you and your surgeon agreed. That is all that matters.
Kennie29
on 1/24/06 10:05 am - Chesapeake, VA
I wouldn't let their negative thoughts get to me. One of my friends told me I was being lazy and taking the easy way out. I kindly told him that I have Sleep Apnea, Diabetes, High Cholesterol and heart problem! Does that sound like I am taking the easy way out or that I am trying to take control of my health to be there for my kids? People like that I would ignore them and keep your head up and do what you got to do!!! Hugs, Kennie
jcarprn
on 1/24/06 2:41 pm - Chester, VA
Cheryl, I can see how those comments would get you steaming. It's so easy for someone that's never had a weight problem to say insensitve things like that. You did the right thing in not giving it any energy. I am in the process of trying to get approved and have selectively told some people at work. When I get comments of such nature, I just refer them to the internet....I mean, if they're going to make stupid, insensitive comments, at least have a working knowledge of the subject.
akasha2u
on 1/24/06 8:56 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
i think she got her words mixed up its elective not cosmetic
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views