sleep evaluation/study

Christine Hood
on 1/24/06 1:23 am - Fort Eustis, VA
does anyone know what a sleep evaluation or study involve? thanks christine
Tam
on 1/24/06 2:30 am - Richmond, VA
I have had two studies for sleep apena and they were different both times. The second involved a LAT sleep test during the day after I had been there all night. They hook all kinds of wires to your scalp and then you go to sleep. They video it and the wires tell them when you are in REM sleep and how many apneas you have per hour. If they catch it early enought they will caome and wake you up and put a cpap mask on you. If not then you have to go back another night for the mask. The LAT test involved staying up for an hour then napping for 20 minutes then repeating all day from 8 AM to 5 PM. I was diagnosed as an insomniac with that test! Hope that answers your question. Tammy C
Kathy & Rich
on 1/24/06 2:31 am - Fairfax, VA
Hey, I just said that. LOL! Kathy
Kathy & Rich
on 1/24/06 2:30 am - Fairfax, VA
Christine, You go to the center at about 8-9 pm. They have you get in your jammies and they put wires and straps on you and then have you go to bed in a regular bedroom. They monitor your sleep from the other room. If you are having a split night study and they find that you have sleep apnea, they will wake you up and put a CPAP machine on you and then work on getting the proper setting for you where you no longer have sleep apnea episodes. This is called titration. For me, I didn't get into a deep enough sleep early enough during the night for them to titrate me so I had to go back another night to have that done. Kathy
Christine Hood
on 1/24/06 2:54 am - Fort Eustis, VA
Thanks for the clarification. I swear every time I think I am done, something else is added. I have passed ALL other evaluations, exrays etc (no medical problems). I had my initial consult with the surgeon back in december. I was told at that time that I needed no additional consults. Now, when I am down to the last days of testing, I need a sleep evaluation and study. There is a 2 month wait for the evaluation and then another 2 months to get the study (if needed)! Ughh! I just need to hear the "You are approved" first. I have lost so much time from work already and still don't know if I will get a yes! I am about to lose my mind...besides the fact that I quit smoking 3 days ago! It's enough to send me running back !
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views