Strictures

schatzel
on 1/23/06 10:47 pm - Northern, NJ
RNY on 08/12/05 with
When you have a stricture food & liquids get stuck as they try to go out of your pouch in to your intestines. What happens is you begin to feel pressure in your chest like a balloon is being blown up in your throat and chest. Then you start foaming, hiccuping, belching and you have the urge to vomit. You will gasp for air in between all of these sensations. This may go on for about 45 minutes and it can be quite painful and distressing because there is really nothing you can do about it until you finally vomit and whatever it is you consumed is dislodged. When you vomit you will vomit a clear liquid of foam and saliva. The convulsions will usually stop after this but I have had it start up again after 10 minutes and then it when on for another 20 - 30 minutes until I vomited again and finally vomited up the food I had been eating. When that experience happens I then go back to a liquid diet or puried foods until I see my Gastroenterologist and get a dilation done. A EGD and Dilation is what is done to stretch the stricture out. What you do is you get an appointment and you go to the hospital. You will be placed on a gurney, with IV's, and they put you to sleep. The Gastroenterologist will go in with a camera and a device with a balloon on the end, when the find the stricture they then slowly blow up the balloon and stretch the stricture to about 15 to 18 cm depending on how tight the stricture has gotten. The procedure takes about 15 minutes and it is not painful. You will wake up in the recovery room about 5 minutes after the procedure and about an hour later you are ready to go home. I usually am able to walk out of the hospital on my own (but you must have someone drive you home). You might be groggy, usually I'm not, and I go home and return to work the next morning. After the dilation is done I am able to eat normally again. Like I said the procedure is simple, I have not experienced any pain or discomfort. I'm usually in and out in 2 hours. Everyone's experience will vary that just happens to be mine. Consult your surgeon if you have questions or problems. I hope that helps.
ElizabethC
on 1/24/06 12:10 am - Wirtz, VA
Thanks for the info! I'm trying to read up on the "if you feel this post-op, here's what to do" stuff. I suffered through Hyperemesis Gravidarum with both of my pregnancies, and have a feeling that post-op WLS is going to be similar!! At least I know that like my pregnancies, I will not suffer for nothing, I'll get something beautiful for my pain Elizabeth
Kennie29
on 1/24/06 10:18 am - Chesapeake, VA
Thank you for the information, it is very informative! Hugs, Kennie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views