The "Morning" Advantage to weight loss!

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/06 9:38 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
G'morning gals and guys ~ I found the below article on the AOL welcome page last Thursday and really enjoyed the logic and simplicity of it all. Although I've pretty much heard/read all of this before, I don't know that I truly grasped the "how's or why's" of it all. Especially based on our sleeping bodies and our morning (daily) metabolism. I'm NOT a breakfast eater, as a general rule - although I do (and have for the last 3 years) always had a protein shake in the mornings to start my day. I'm too far post-op for that to 'satisfy' me anymore. If anything, it leaves a gnawing sensation in my belly that I can't quite conquer the rest of the day. Although my nutrients are taken care of with a shake, the eating and hunger aspect of it is NOT. I've decided to mix things up a bit with my daily routine and start incorporating a real breakfast and movement. My protein shakes will now become a mid-morning and a late afternoon supplement. Reading what the article says about jump starting your metabolism with a meal and movement, SPECIFICALLY after 6 to 8 hours of sleep (or body hibernation) makes a lotta sense to me. I've gained 15 pounds from my all time low, a year and a half ago. In our gastric bypass world we like to call that a bounce back. In the real world? It's called WEIGHT GAIN, plain and simple, and I see it happen a LOT with long term post-ops. For me, it equates to a 3/4 lb increase per month and it ain't from bouncing it's from EATING! Calories in vs calories out. I can feel it in my clothes, I sense it in my energy levels and I can SEE IT in the photos (from our Richmond weekend). I absolutely will NOT allow it to get out of control again. Ive never made the assumption that any of the weight I lost after surgery was "gone forever". For me, that rose colored way of thinking can be a very dangerous and slippery slope. I know with my body and my history, NO weight is gone forever. If it were that easy, I would never have reached 400 lbs or needed surgery in the first place. After 45 years of life I've PERFECTED weight loss, it's keeping it off that will forever need fine tuning. I'm still working on my complete plan of attack. Although I don't have ALL the answers for myself, I'm sure of one thing - I have to make some changes, large or small, in my existing routine. I've ALWAYS viewed breakfast as nothing more then additional CALORIES, instead of seeing it as a healthy way to start my day. It's time to change my stinkin' thinkin' and at least give it a try. I plan on going to Richmond in June. My goal is to be 15 lbs LIGHTER when I do. Movement AND Breakfast sounds like an easy enough change to take on immediately. The AOL info is below, if you're interested in reading it. Hope everyone has a great day ~ Lei ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ I don't know if this link will work for all of you - AOL tends to be very "sole proprietor" with it's links if you're not an existing user. If the link does NOT work, the gist of the article is below as well. http://diets.aol.com/americatakesitoff/amadvantage The A.M. Advantage - from AOL diet news: Is your idea of a great start to the day a few presses of the "snooze" button followed by a cup of coffee, shower and trip to the office? If the answer is yes, then you're definitely jeopardizing your weight loss success. In fact, according to Cynthia Sass, M.P.H., M.A., R.D., what you do (or don't do) in the morning determines whether your metabolism gets revved up or stays in park all day. Here are four ways to take advantage of the early hours: Weigh In: Hitting the scale or tape measure first thing in the morning (after you've gone to the bathroom) is a good way to assess your progress. "As soon as you have time to eat, drink or work out, you're impacting the number on the scale," says Sass. Eat! It may seem counter-intuitive, but eating is the best way to boost your metabolism. If you stay in a food-deprived state after eight hours of sleep, your system will prepare for starvation by conserving energy. It's a fact that people who eat breakfast consume fewer calories, take in less fat and cholesterol and weigh less, too. Choose Wisely: While any food is better than nothing, what you eat in the AM will impact your calorie intake for the rest of the day. "A breakfast that's 50 percent carbohydrates and 25 percent each protein and fat, along with at least five grams of fiber, will help maintain blood sugar levels and stave off hunger," says Sass. Good examples: whole grain toast with a thin layer of peanut butter and a banana, oatmeal with chopped walnuts and berries or whole grain cereal with skim milk and fruit. Get Moving: Even if it's just stretching while you wait for your coffee to brew or taking your dog for a 10-minute walk, any movement you do in the morning will improve your circulation and boost your energy level. Making exercise part of your morning routine has two benefits: Not only are you more likely to be consistent, but you also ensure that nothing gets in the way of your workout. --Amy Paturel ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
track
on 1/23/06 9:48 pm - on the beach down by the bay, VA
I'm not a morning knosher either, in fact, I tend to feel worse if I 'eat' before my workout, but I recognize that if I am temerate with a small capp. protein shake, a bit of cheese, then work out, I can go for miles/hours, then get on to work. I almost never have the feeling that I am hungry, but do have a bit of something for lunch, soup, etc...and when suppertime comes around, I can still stick to my old protein first, small portions guidelines. Deviate from that routine, and something somewhere is always a bit off track...I know....didn't intend the pun!!... I think the secret is to find the 'routine' that fits you, and work around it. Toss in a few new items every once in a while, but when you can still follow that little voice in your head that says..."I wouldn't eat that..."...you can still listen to it. By the way...you do know the rec center opens at 6 am right???...still waiting to see you there again...and point out the perv...I'll 'discuss' with him his behavior...a qtr mile of road rash from being towed behind the scooter might change his way of thinking!...
(deactivated member)
on 1/24/06 12:56 am - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
HEY? Speaking of the GYM, you didn't put a BUG in Keoni's ear about that, did you? He asked me yesterday when I planned on going back. Not sure if he was tired of hearing me GRIPE about the weight or if he'd been yappin' with Track. I still have a membership there - not sure when it expires, but I think it's good for a few more months. Kim and I used to go at 8:00, so maybe you're right, maybe going at 6:00 (believe it or not, Im up every morning at 5:00 so EARLY don't scare me none!) would be a guarantee to avoid the 75 year old pervs. Yuck - gives me willies just typing about it. What days do you go? lol, and don't you dare tell me DAILY, I'll have to smack you!
track
on 1/24/06 12:42 pm - on the beach down by the bay, VA
not daily...just mon, tues, wed, thur, fri and sat mornings, sundays, I wait until the afternoons....geesh..you'd think I was anal or sumpin'... tues and wed I can go in a little later as I don't have to be at work till later. Give me a call...we'll go get sweaty!...
cappymoon
on 1/24/06 1:20 am - Northern, VA
Sad part?? The first line of all of this fits me to a T!! *Is your idea of a great start to the day a few presses of the "snooze" button followed by a cup of coffee, shower and trip to the office?* Is this why I am stuck at 12 months out, or is this all there is??? I DO, however, have my protein first thing in the am, since I get up at 5, and if I was to eat breakfast, I would be ready for lunch WAY TOO EARLY, so I usually get a protein in at 6am, breakfast is at 9:30, lunch 1pm, and dinner about 7pm with a snack. I am eating either too much or not the right things, I know that is the problem..... Thanks for the article, helped me out!! Dianna
(deactivated member)
on 1/24/06 5:45 am - Fort Myers, FL
Great post girlfriend! I am feeling many of the same things you are. However, I have returned from Richmond inspired by many of the people there and getting my ass back to the gym. Some fo these gosh darn people are downright incredible looking. I still think you are looking pretty darn good. Although the cowboy stew story and your reaction to it still cracks me up. I, too, have perfected the losing thing--it is the keeping it off that's been tough for me. I got on the scale after the week-end--I'm up 6 from my low. I had been up more and then been back down--but now I have six to go and I am gonna lose those buggers and really would love to lose at least 5 more after that. I struggle with breakfast--it really is my biggest hurdle since wls--I know I should eat it--but I just don't feel like it immediately in the am and then I don't have the time to eat something good for me. Oh well--I'm hungry now--gotta eat.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views