I need all Virginian's Help with House Bill 624

Cynthia D.
on 1/23/06 9:43 am - Richmond, VA
Hello Everyone, I hope this finds everyone well and enjoying a great 2006. I am asking all of you to call 800-889-0229 between 8:30 am - 5 pm and before Wednesday and say that you support House Bill 624. This bill is a mandated bill for weight loss surgery, please see the bill below. Right now it is in a committee and it needs to get out of the committee to move on to the next step which will be presented in the House. This surgery has helped me and improved my health so much, that I have to lobby to help others like myself. I am the healthiest that I have ever been in my adult life and I am getting ready for the Monument Avenue 10 K, hope I can make it. This bill is already mandated for State of Virginia employees and I would like it mandated for all state residents. Also, several Richmond area doctors and patients have met with their Delegate to encourage them to vote yes for the mandated bill. If you can find a moment before Wednesday afternoon to make this call, I would really appreciate your help. All you have to do is give you name and residential address so that your delegate will know that you are in favor of the bill. You don't have to be a registered voter to voice your opinion. If you feel you can please pass this on to others in Virginia that will help support this effort. This is the 2nd year that I have been helping to get this bill passed for those that need this life altering treatment. Thanks for you help!!!!! and I will let you know how things go. The committee will vote on this bill at the General Assembly on Thursday @ 1:30. Guess where I will be Thursday???? If you have any questions please let me know. Thanks again, Cynthia HB 624 Health insurance; mandated coverage for treatment of morbid obesity. Requires health insurers, health maintenance organizations, and corporations providing healthcare coverage subscription contracts, to provide coverage for the treatment of morbid obesity through recognized surgical procedures designed to produce weight loss in patients with morbid obesity if performed at a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence. Currently, these entities are required to offer and make available coverage for treatment of morbid obesity.
jilldennis
on 1/23/06 10:23 am - White Post, VA
RNY on 08/30/05 with
Done!!!
Betsy Anitahug
on 1/23/06 10:50 am - Danville, VA
First thing on my list tomorrow morning....thanks for the reminder... Hugs, Betsy
Cynthia D.
on 1/23/06 9:18 pm - Richmond, VA
Thanks everyone for your support!!!! We will see what happens on Thursday. Cynthia
ElizabethC
on 1/23/06 11:55 pm - Wirtz, VA
I called as soon as I saw this post! A nice gentleman answered the phone and took my information. As someone who is getting ready to go through this as a self-pay, due to the wonderful support of a family member, I know the stresses of dealing with insurance companies. I've yet to understand why they seem to be okay with the idea of covering all sorts of obesity-related medical problems, but NOT want to cover WLS, a tool that helps people overcome these issues!!!! Here's what I think of my insurance company at the moment: I pray that HB624 gets passed so others don't go through this!!! Elizabeth
Kathy & Rich
on 1/24/06 2:19 am - Fairfax, VA
I called! She said she should have the bill number memorized she was getting so many calls! Yea, Virginia! Not for us but for those that come after us! Kathy
LB
on 1/24/06 3:21 am - Northern, VA
Done and done! Quick and painless! :D
Debbie H.
on 1/24/06 4:51 am - Newport News, VA
Got it done.
Chyanne2u
on 1/24/06 5:17 am - Kings Mountain, NC
Hey Cynthia, Thank you so much for getting this out for all of us to see it. I have not been on the board in quite a while. I guess I have been a bit discouraged. I am going through the 6 months of medically supervised diet and exercise program before my insurance will even consider it. My first appointment was July of last year and I am still waiting. Of course I didn't know it would take an act of congress to get an approval. Thank you....Thank you and Thank you again for what you are doing as well as everyone else who has done their part to get the word out (and you know who you are...right Nat) and for everyone who is calling in. I made my call and I will be waiting and watching the board to see what happens Thursday. Please post as soon as possible. Congrats on the Monument Ave 10 K. WTG Girl!!! I would love to be able to do something like that one day........... Lots of Love Kathy
MOM4GK3
on 1/24/06 6:08 am - Culpeper, VA
Cynthia, Thank you so much for working to get this bill passed, and for spreading the word that it's even out there. I weigh almost 400 lbs and my insurance company has a written exclusion that doesn't allow or cover WLS. You can bet I'll be calling, forwarding the word via email and beseeching my friends, associates and loved ones to call and say YES to bill 624. Thanks again, Teresa M.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views