QUESTION?

cheryl_jagow
on 1/20/06 1:55 am - CHESAPEAKE, VA
DOES EVERYONE HAVE TO DO BOWEL PREP?
Tam
on 1/20/06 2:12 am - Richmond, VA
A what? LOL...I did not and to be honest I am glad. It does not sound too "fun". Tammy
Tam
on 1/20/06 2:13 am - Richmond, VA
But if I did have to do one I know it would have been worth it. I do not regret ANYTHING that I have been through to get where I am now. Tammy
wanda
on 1/20/06 2:26 am
Cheryl, No, all surgeons do not require that. My husband and I have both had the sugery and neither were required to do that. However, my husband certainly wishes he had. He had some complications in the hospital that would have been lessened if he had done something like that. I share that to let you know it may be the best thing for you and prevent other issues. Best wishes, Wanda
Kathy & Rich
on 1/20/06 3:00 am - Fairfax, VA
I had laproscopic RNY and yes I was required to have a bowel prep. All depends on your surgeon. Kathy
Shannon_nicole
on 1/20/06 5:00 am - Carrollton, VA
Cheryl, Dr. Spencer and Moore... do not make you do a bowel prep, just nothing after mid night the night before surgery. Shannon
hollydecarlo
on 1/20/06 10:09 am - hopewell, VA
im not sure but i did and its yucky!!! lol
A10sFrau
on 1/20/06 10:13 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
Not I. My bowel is not being operated on, only the small intestine, and stomach. Different doctors require different things. Lois
nitengale
on 1/22/06 8:09 am - Leesburg, VA
RNY on 09/14/04 with
Let me guess... your doc wants you to do one???? I know its a tuff road and many docs don't require it.... my doc only required clear liquids 24 hours pre-op... It is a good idea just to lesses your risk of MAJOR complication post op. On the rare instance that your intestine is nicked during surgery it will lessen your chance of developing post op peritonitis from bowel content spillage into the abdominal cavity... it can result in many many days in the hospital for antibiotic therapy, possibly having to be NPO (nothing by mouth) for days and days... maybe an NG tube down your nose to help the nick heal.... IV therapy including clear solutions and hyperalimentation (a bag of electrolytes, vitamins, fats, etc to maintain appropriate nutritional values). If your doc doesn't order one... you might want to take a mild laxative 48 hours before and then clear liqs 24 hours before...just as a precaution... In the old days...you got laxatives, enemas and all kinds of other torturous preparations before surgery... talk to your doc and see what his preferences are... wanda
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views