Lei's Cowboy Stew - Recipe!

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/06 7:48 pm - Grass.Shack.by.da'Beach, VA
G'morning friends - Jill Dennis asked that I post this to the board for anyone that mighta' missed it the last time around. It really is a very tasty stew and I plan on making some on Monday and following my OWN advice! Anyway - here it is, it's also in my profile under the "Recipe" link - should you ever want to refer back to it. LOL, ask Donna Mae all the things "NOT to do" while printing it. (too funny, yep, Im still laughing about it, girlfriend) Have a great weekend ya'll, I know I will! Lei Below is my version of a PLATEAU BUSTER!! This stew helps me to "flush out" my system and jumpstart my weight loss. It's like a NATURAL laxative, per se' - healthy, delish, filling and good for you. It's a very basic recipe that Ive fine tuned over the years, based on different types of beans, proteins, veggies, and GOOD carbs that my body needed to avoid starvation mode while still losing weight. I don't like to "COOK" per se' - so if Im in a lazy mood, I use the CANNED items in my stew. If Im in a SuzyHomeMaker kinda mood, then I use the dried (fresh) beans - 1 bag of the 15 bean mix and 1 bag of Kidney beans. Just cook them according to the directions on the bag. Other then that, the recipe is pretty standard as follows. ? 1 can Lima beans ? 1 can Pinto beans ? 1 can Kidney beans ? 1 can White navy beans ? 1 can Butterbeans ? 1 can diced tomatoes (choose your flavor) ? 2 cans spicy V8 juice ? 1 entire LARGE cabbage - chopped/shredded into bite size pieces. ? 2 LARGE potatoes, skinned, chopped. ? 1 LARGE onion ? 2 small cans of mushrooms (or 1 large tray of fresh) ? 1 can green chili's diced (mild, med, hot, your choice) ? 1 lb lean ground turkey meat ? 2 PRECOOKED chicken breasts or thighs, diced --or-- any other type of MEAT leftovers you have on hand. Sausage? Pork? etc. ? 2 table spoons of minced garlic, or 8 fresh cloves ? 2 table spoons low carb ketchup ? Various seasonings, salt, pepper, garlic, MzDash, Onion Salt, etc. Grab a LARGE pot (big and deep enough to hold ALL the above indredients) and use it to brown turkey meat, garlic (if it's minced) and chopped onions with dry seasonings of your choice. Drain what little grease there might be. In the same pot, add the diced potatoes, garlic cloves (if it's fresh) and cabbage, about 3 cups of water, and the V8 Juice. Boil for about 20 minutes, giving the potatoes a chance to cook. Then add ALL remaining ingredients, just dump them in. If you used fresh beans, add them "cooked" to the pot. If you're using canned beans, just open the cans and DRAIN the juice first. Add the entire can (with juice) of chilis, tomatoes, etc. You might have to add a little more water, to keep it from cooking out, also don't be afraid to SEASON it. Seasoning is our friend, and since you'll be eating this soup for several days, 2 to 3 times a day, you want to make darn sure you LOVE the way you've seasoned it. About the 3rd day of eating this, I try to add a new twist to it, to change up the taste again. Maybe a can of corn? Or some black olives? Or a little bit of shredded cheese? Sour cream... etc. The CORE blend of ingredients always seems to jump start my weight loss. This is ALL I eat, 3 or 4 times a day until the pot is empty, normally lasts about 5 to 6 days. I also drink lots of water (100 oz +) during this time. Nutrients per 1 cup serving: Calories 290 Protein 25 gr Fat 5 gr NET Carbs 19 gr (from good [bean] carbs, after deducting the fiber) *DISCLAIMER* Not only am I NOT a cook, but I also can't recite recipes worth a flip. If you find something in the above that doesn't make sense, or it appears Ive forgotten a key ingredient (like water) hollar back at me.
ElizabethC
on 1/19/06 10:22 pm - Wirtz, VA
That sounds like a fab recipe for pre or post op! I love chili, and I also do canning, so I can make a bunch of this for long-term. Thanks so much for sharing!! Elizabeth Happy Momma 2 months pre-op today....c'mon March!
A10sFrau
on 1/19/06 11:56 pm - Rockbridge Co., VA
Sounds delish AND explosive!! I will make this, but with less cabbage. I almost foundered on cabbage once--discovered I am allergic to mass quantities of nightshades. This is nevertheless, a recipe after my own heart and palate. YUM. Thank you Thank you Lois
elizabeth b-c
on 1/20/06 9:24 am - Charlottesville, VA
Thanks for the recipe, Lei. It is always nice to try a new addition to the menu. I am vegetarian, so I will substitute vegetarian crumbles and vegetarian sausage - how nice to be able to adapt is so easily. I eat a lot of beans, being both post-op and vegan. Have a great weekend! elizabeth 359/241/160
jilldennis
on 1/22/06 5:42 am - White Post, VA
RNY on 08/30/05 with
Thanks Lei - you are even more beautiful in person than in your pictures! You and Nat are my mentors! I love you guys bunches! Hugs Jill
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views