Some Questions I have

jessicafrombeach
on 1/19/06 12:29 am - PORTSMOUTH, VA
I was wondering about getting pregnant like a year after surgery, I am 27 and have a 2 year old and want to get the surgery done, however, i also want another child, is it ok to become pregnany again and breastfeed, will the baby get enough nutrients? I was also wondering about pills, if u have a headache, is there certain meds u cant take and will the doctor tell me that.. I was talking to a friend lastnite and she does not understand why insurance pays for this procedure and why i can't do this on my own, i explained everything to her and she does not understand why only if u are big that u can get help verses her having to struggle throughout life with her weight to stay that way. I told her its a tool and I want to be healthier later and I need something to help me control my portions, she still does not understand everything, anyone have any better explanations. I am also worried about complications later in life. I have not been approved it, just going for the seminar next thursday hoping they will approve me i have anthem blue cross and no other problems like diabetes sleep apea or etc..i am 255 and like 5'4 so i am hoping they will approve me,,pray for me...thanks
Julie R.
on 1/19/06 1:07 am - Belspring, VA
Hi Jessica My surgeon has told me that after a year (some say 2) you may try to have children again, but I will leave this to the other more experienced people on the board. I haven't had surgery yet, but mine is scheduled for February 8th. I'm so glad that you found this board; I did right before I attended the seminar, too. The people here are great! It can be frustrating to others who have not had to deal with this like we have. One thing you will probably learn at the the seminar is once you reach the level of being morbidly obese, there is only a 5% chance that an individual will be able to lose weight & maintian the loss (anyone feel free to correct me if I have that wrong). After attending the seminar, you should have a better grasp on explaining why this surgery is so important. My husband was hesitant, but I brought him along to the seminar. Now he is one of my biggest supporters. I have been blessed to have many supportive people around me, but remember that if you need support, there is always someone here. Yes there are certain medications that you will not be able to take, but that should be covered once you meet with you surgeon. If he/she does not have a list for you, just ask, Nat was able to provide me with one I could get to you. As for headaches, asprin is off limits for headaches, but you can take Tylenol My advice would be to take this time to soak up all the information you can. Once you are prepared and feel confident in your decision, it seems to reflect onto others. OH.com has a wealth of information for you. In addition to OH.com, there are many good sites out there with information (several of them have links from here). Check out all of the surgeons in your area and find the right one for you. Many people on this site have written about their experiences with their surgeon. That is how I selected mine. As for insurance, there are various BC/BS plans. I work for the state and had no problem what so ever. If you have a different plan, you will find to the left of this page, under Resources in Virginia, a link to Insurers. This gives people's experiences with different plans. Hope this helps! Feel free to email me if you need to talk. Best wishes! Julie
Carole V.
on 1/19/06 1:30 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Hi Jessica, Many of your questions can be answered by your surgeon. Complications later in life are a possibility, if you do not commit yourself to following a strict regime of vitamins, protein, water, and exercise, especially if you have the RNY type of surgery. Type a list of your questions and take it with you to the surgeon so you don't forget any. As for your friend, you may reassure her that, although the surgery will help you lose about 75% of your excess weight, losing the rest of it and keeping it off will still be the same struggle that she faces now. Believe me, the surgery is not a magic pill that gets rid of your weight problem for the rest of your life, if you want proof, go to the grads board and read all about how people continue to struggle even after losing tons of weight. So what's the point you say? The point is, the surgery gives you a boost that, as an obese person, is almost impossible to accomplish alone. It gives you a tool that does help you control portions, but it only works if you don't play mind games with yourself about what you are eating. Good luck, Carole
ElizabethC
on 1/19/06 2:28 am - Wirtz, VA
Hi, Jessica! My daughter-in-law, who is 32, had RNY in March 2003 and is 5 months pregnant with her first child. She did great with the surgery and is having a fantastic pregnancy as well! Her doctor assured her that breastfeeding is possible as well. Like others have said, the important thing is that you get in the proper nutrients, vitamins, water, etc. You should wait at least a year after WLS to become pregnant, as your body is going through way to much adjustment to deal with that too. There is a message board here on OH for women dealing with pregnancy after WLS; you may be able to find some answers there too! Others have covered the meds situation too. Your surgeon will cover the basics, and if you ever need to go on a prescription after WLS, just be sure your doctor knows you've had it done. Dealing with friends and family can really be a battle. Lots of folks think that losing weight should be simple, but what other addiction can you think of where you can go cold-turkey and still get what it needs?! Eating is a necessary evil for people who battle obesity. Sounds like you've already done a wonderful job of researching though WLS is indeed a tool, but you have to be able to make the changes needed for that tool to work. We can't change what others think, but we can educate them and be honest with ourselves as to what we want for ourselves. There's lots of fantastic info and support here at OH, and other info can be found on the 'net, through local support groups, your doctor, and in books. Best of luck to you!! Elizabeth Happy Momma
Teresa Isphording
on 1/20/06 1:10 am - Knotts Island, NC
Hey Jessica, I can address the pregnancy after surgery question as far as what I have experienced so far. I had WLS 10-03-03 and am now 7 1/2 months pregnant. I have had an extremely healthy pregnancy and have only gained 11 pounds so far. Yes you can still breastfeed and yes the baby will get enough nutrients. The baby will take what it needs from you and the stored fat in your body. You will have to increase your calorie intake but at least 300 while pregnant and while breastfeeding plus you will have to continue with your vitamins along with prenatal vitamins. Besides the baby not getting enough nutrients (which has not been a problem) I was also concerned about gaining to much while pregnant but like I said before I have only gained 11 pounds as of yesterday and I eat every 2 hours. I personally haven't met anyone yet who has had problems with their pregnancy due to WLS. As of yesterday my baby is healthy, has a really strong heart beat and is actually measuring a 1 1/2 weeks ahead of schedule. There is a wonderful forum on this website called Post-op Pregnancy and all the women on there are wonderful. Just go to the top of this page and click on 'Forums' then go to the drop down box titled 'Other Forums' and select the one called Postop Pregnancy. It is not just for women who are post op and pregnant but for women who are trying to conceive and for women who haven't had surgery yet but have questions about becoming pregnant after surgery. Please swing by and ask as many questions as you need to. Again, all the women there are wonderful and will answer as many of your questions as possible. With that being said, please please please still make a list of questions and concerns to ask your surgeon. The women on the board are only giving answers based on their own experience. Good luck with your approval process and I'll be keeping you in my prayers. If you have any other questions please feel free to email me any time. Hugs Teresa
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views