Can I afford surgery?

Kim-150
on 1/18/06 5:45 am - Richmond, VA
Hello everyone. I am investigating lap band surgery. My insurance will not pay, I am sure, and I don't want to fight with them. SO... I will be a "self-pay" if I can afford to do it. Any idea how much the surgery costs? Any advice from someone that has paid without insurance? Thanks so much...
MrsTonyaBrown
on 1/18/06 6:20 am - Jacksonville, FL
It all depends on your surgeon, the hospital, what tests and consults they require, but plan on spending between $15,000 and 35,000. That's pretty broad, but accurate. Tonya
kizie23
on 1/18/06 9:12 am - blacksburg, VA
Kim, Some surgeons will give a type of discount for people who are self pay. I dont know if that will help, but it may be cheaper. Melissa
ElizabethC
on 1/18/06 10:50 am - Wirtz, VA
Kim, I am going to be a self-pay as well (blasted insurance company...#*@^$) and I have set aside $35,000 for everything (I'm having RNY). The surgeon's consult was $250, his surgery fee is $4000, and they say hospital charges will run about $25K. Then I had the gallbladder sono, EGD and 2 pschy evaluations, and will have blood work and an EKG before surgery. Some of those tests will be covered by insurance, thank goodness! Talk to the surgeon and the hospital. They often will work with those who are paying the green stuff. Another way to look at it is "can I afford NOT to have this surgery??" Best of luck to you!! Elizabeth Happy Momma
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views