insurance

jessicafrombeach
on 1/17/06 12:52 am - PORTSMOUTH, VA
i have blue cross anthem and dont know if i will get approved does anyone have this insurance i am 250 and 5'4
yvette223
on 1/17/06 1:16 am - winchester, VA
RNY on 01/24/06 with
i have Anthem BC/BS and i was approved, i would call them and have them send you the information on WLS, this is what i did and they sent the the form for the dr. to fill out and an attachement outlining the criteria (spelling) yvette
Lelandmm
on 1/17/06 1:40 am - Chesapeake, VA
Jessica, You need to talk to your benefits administrator at work or call the insurance company. As of July 1, 2004 all policies renewing after that date will have to purchase an obesity rider for EVERY employee. My company is small so it would have been some outrageous number like an additional $36 per person, I already pay freaking $112 a paycheck as it is! Anyways, my company elected not to spend the money on it. We only have 3 here who qualify, one is too old and would never do it anyways, and another is part time so she doesn't even get our insurance. So it wasn't worth spending that kind of money for one person who may or may not have any interest in WLS. If you do not have the coverage, I don't know if there is anything you can do. I don't know if they will let you purchase the coverage directly from them and add it on. Talk to your benefits administrator and when it is open season, maybe you can upgrade to another policy that does have it. Good Luck! Leland
Tam
on 1/17/06 2:53 am - Richmond, VA
Call the number on your card or speak to your group administrator. It depends on what type of policy you have and if a rider has been purchased. Some policies do not require a rider. I work at Anthem. I have PPO coverage. I changed from an HMO to have my surgery covered. Most HMO policies DO NOT cover it. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Tammy
ElizabethC
on 1/17/06 5:23 am - Wirtz, VA
Ditto to what everyone said here. I also have Anthem BC/BS through my hub's work, but he works for a trucking company, which of course did NOT purchase the rider. I'm fortunate that we have family working together to pay for my surgery and aftercosts, but I know the pain, frustration and aggravation dealing with insurance!! Call your HR rep or the insurance company to find out. Happy Momma
Julie R.
on 1/17/06 5:58 am - Belspring, VA
Same as above! If you happen to have a state job and have the COVA care, you shouldn't have much problem at all. As long as your BMI is 40 (which it appears to be) and you are 100 pounds overweight (at 5'2 they said I should be 113lbs), the state policy typically gives its approval the day after the request is submitted. If you don't work for the state, you can check the Insurers link to the left of this page under "Resources in Virginia" to see what other people's experiences have been with the different BC/BS plans. Good luck Julie
kizie23
on 1/17/06 9:22 am - blacksburg, VA
Jessica, I have anthem bcbs, I was approved for my surgery over the phone. Is yours a ppo or an hmo?? If you still have your book from Anthem look on pages 29 or 30. The info should be there. If not email me and I will send you a link that someone sent to me. Melissa
jewelpei
on 1/17/06 2:47 pm - Topping, VA
There is a little known law in Virginia that your insurance company cannot turn you down for a procedure where you meet the NIH criteria for the procedure or surgery.
cheryl_jagow
on 1/18/06 10:58 pm - CHESAPEAKE, VA
jessica your funny! poor worry wart! i told you will be approved. we have the same insurance....happy birthday today!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views